147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2922
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#16

Post by rotor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 pm

strogg wrote:
rotor wrote: Do you know for a certainty that insurance companies are doing that? Have you seen an insurance policy that says that only people with LTC can not carry at a gun show? Will the insurance company cover if someone illegally (not a LTC holder) carries and there is a ND?
I honestly don't know for certain about the insurance thing. More speculation, but from what I've been reading around the interwebs, most likely fact than fiction. I haven't found any concrete evidence pointing one way or the other, though. Upon rereading my post, I realize that I didn't actually say what I intended to say. My apologies. Let me rephrase the point I was trying to make: insurance companies may want event organizers and venues to do their best in making sure no negligent discharges occur at a gun show that the insurance payor is covering. That best effort may certainly involve a no-loaded-firearms policy at the event. Lifting that requirement may end up costing the organizers and/or the venue more money than they can spend, which is why many gun shows have the no-loaded-firearms policy. You can thank the idiots who NDed in gun shows nationwide for that.

In the case of the NRAAM, I'd be surprised if there there is a no-carry policy. Since this is more of a convention than it is a gun show, and with the deep pockets the NRA has, I would expect that they continue with the tradition of fully honoring 2A rights this year.
I believe it was several years ago that Charles Cotton or someone else on this forum specifically wanted proof that an insurance company was demanding 30.06/07 signs or at least no LTC carrying at a gun show. Nobody ever presented a copy of an insurance policy with such wording but there has always been this rumor that insurance companies require it. About a year ago at the gun show in Wichita Falls there was a ND and some food service workers were hit. Apparently a vendor brought a loaded shotgun into the show and that gun went off. No ND by a LTC holder. That gun show is not posted 30.06/07 but they sure check their vendors now.
I personally believe that if there was such an insurance policy a copy of it would have been posted somewhere by now. I think that this is an excuse that business uses to blame 30.06/07 signs on "forces beyond their control". I may be wrong but where is that insurance policy?
Not critical of your comments as I believe the "insurance requires it"excuse has been used for a long time.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1623
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#17

Post by mrvmax » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 am

ELB wrote:I plan to go on Friday mainly to see the exhibits. I went ahead and booked Thu/Fri night through the NRAAM.org website to make sure I have a place to hang my hat. Don't believe I want to drive up to Dallas and back in one day. Looks like rooms are filling up fast, and be aware that on and after March 8 there is a $100 cancellation fee for rooms booked through the nraam.org website.
I reserved rooms last May to make sure I wouldn’t have a problem but I didn’t go through NRAAM.org. I had a bunch of points on my credit card so I’m using them for the room. Hopefully nothing will come up to keep me from going.


Hot Dawg
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Friendswood,Tx

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#18

Post by Hot Dawg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 am

I will be attending this year, got my rooms reserved already for a 3 day weekend, just need a good pair of walking shoes now.

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#19

Post by RPBrown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am

rotor wrote:
strogg wrote:
rotor wrote: Do you know for a certainty that insurance companies are doing that? Have you seen an insurance policy that says that only people with LTC can not carry at a gun show? Will the insurance company cover if someone illegally (not a LTC holder) carries and there is a ND?
I honestly don't know for certain about the insurance thing. More speculation, but from what I've been reading around the interwebs, most likely fact than fiction. I haven't found any concrete evidence pointing one way or the other, though. Upon rereading my post, I realize that I didn't actually say what I intended to say. My apologies. Let me rephrase the point I was trying to make: insurance companies may want event organizers and venues to do their best in making sure no negligent discharges occur at a gun show that the insurance payor is covering. That best effort may certainly involve a no-loaded-firearms policy at the event. Lifting that requirement may end up costing the organizers and/or the venue more money than they can spend, which is why many gun shows have the no-loaded-firearms policy. You can thank the idiots who NDed in gun shows nationwide for that.

In the case of the NRAAM, I'd be surprised if there there is a no-carry policy. Since this is more of a convention than it is a gun show, and with the deep pockets the NRA has, I would expect that they continue with the tradition of fully honoring 2A rights this year.
I believe it was several years ago that Charles Cotton or someone else on this forum specifically wanted proof that an insurance company was demanding 30.06/07 signs or at least no LTC carrying at a gun show. Nobody ever presented a copy of an insurance policy with such wording but there has always been this rumor that insurance companies require it. About a year ago at the gun show in Wichita Falls there was a ND and some food service workers were hit. Apparently a vendor brought a loaded shotgun into the show and that gun went off. No ND by a LTC holder. That gun show is not posted 30.06/07 but they sure check their vendors now.
I personally believe that if there was such an insurance policy a copy of it would have been posted somewhere by now. I think that this is an excuse that business uses to blame 30.06/07 signs on "forces beyond their control". I may be wrong but where is that insurance policy?
Not critical of your comments as I believe the "insurance requires it"excuse has been used for a long time.
I had another business owner in my field ask me how I got by my insurance company because all of my employees CC. He stated that his insurance company would not cover him unless he posted. I told him to check his policy and if it actually stated that, I wanted a copy. He did check, not a word about it but his partner (also his wife) said thats what their agent told them. He now CC's every day as well.

To keep this thread on topic, I plan to be there at least a couple of days. Just so happens this is the same weekend that my CFO has one of her crafty conventions and I will be playing bachelor all weekend :mrgreen: . Too bad they say they don't sell firearms at the exhibit. :cryin
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#20

Post by twomillenium » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 am

RPBrown wrote:
rotor wrote:
strogg wrote:
rotor wrote: Do you know for a certainty that insurance companies are doing that? Have you seen an insurance policy that says that only people with LTC can not carry at a gun show? Will the insurance company cover if someone illegally (not a LTC holder) carries and there is a ND?
I honestly don't know for certain about the insurance thing. More speculation, but from what I've been reading around the interwebs, most likely fact than fiction. I haven't found any concrete evidence pointing one way or the other, though. Upon rereading my post, I realize that I didn't actually say what I intended to say. My apologies. Let me rephrase the point I was trying to make: insurance companies may want event organizers and venues to do their best in making sure no negligent discharges occur at a gun show that the insurance payor is covering. That best effort may certainly involve a no-loaded-firearms policy at the event. Lifting that requirement may end up costing the organizers and/or the venue more money than they can spend, which is why many gun shows have the no-loaded-firearms policy. You can thank the idiots who NDed in gun shows nationwide for that.

In the case of the NRAAM, I'd be surprised if there there is a no-carry policy. Since this is more of a convention than it is a gun show, and with the deep pockets the NRA has, I would expect that they continue with the tradition of fully honoring 2A rights this year.
I believe it was several years ago that Charles Cotton or someone else on this forum specifically wanted proof that an insurance company was demanding 30.06/07 signs or at least no LTC carrying at a gun show. Nobody ever presented a copy of an insurance policy with such wording but there has always been this rumor that insurance companies require it. About a year ago at the gun show in Wichita Falls there was a ND and some food service workers were hit. Apparently a vendor brought a loaded shotgun into the show and that gun went off. No ND by a LTC holder. That gun show is not posted 30.06/07 but they sure check their vendors now.
I personally believe that if there was such an insurance policy a copy of it would have been posted somewhere by now. I think that this is an excuse that business uses to blame 30.06/07 signs on "forces beyond their control". I may be wrong but where is that insurance policy?
Not critical of your comments as I believe the "insurance requires it"excuse has been used for a long time.
I had another business owner in my field ask me how I got by my insurance company because all of my employees CC. He stated that his insurance company would not cover him unless he posted. I told him to check his policy and if it actually stated that, I wanted a copy. He did check, not a word about it but his partner (also his wife) said thats what their agent told them. He now CC's every day as well.

To keep this thread on topic, I plan to be there at least a couple of days. Just so happens this is the same weekend that my CFO has one of her crafty conventions and I will be playing bachelor all weekend :mrgreen: . Too bad they say they don't sell firearms at the exhibit. :cryin
I think maybe he needs to get a new agent that is either more knowledgeable or more honest or both.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 3846
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#21

Post by bblhd672 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 am

We should have a pre-arranged meetup location at the NRA show for all the forum members who attend to get together.


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#22

Post by strogg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 am

bblhd672 wrote:We should have a pre-arranged meetup location at the NRA show for all the forum members who attend to get together.
That's a great idea. I suggest we have a designated spot and time for all three days. That way we can accommodate people's varying schedules throughout the weekend. So something like meet up at this tbd spot by 9:15AM on all three days. Once the group feels like everyone who will show up has shown up, they'll start walking around and perusing.

I am planning on going Friday morning myself to avoid the weekend crowd, although something tells me it'll be packed senseless regardless of which day I go anyway.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#23

Post by Flightmare » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am

I've put in for that friday off from work so I'll be able to do all 3 days if I so choose. Looking forward to meeting a few new forum members there that haven't made it to the DFW area breakfasts.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 6389
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#24

Post by ELB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

strogg wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:We should have a pre-arranged meetup location at the NRA show for all the forum members who attend to get together.
That's a great idea. I suggest we have a designated spot and time for all three days. That way we can accommodate people's varying schedules throughout the weekend. So something like meet up at this tbd spot by 9:15AM on all three days. Once the group feels like everyone who will show up has shown up, they'll start walking around and perusing.

I am planning on going Friday morning myself to avoid the weekend crowd, although something tells me it'll be packed senseless regardless of which day I go anyway.
My plan it to be at the door when the exhibit opens on Friday and hopefully avoid some of the rush.

I vote we establish the meeting time to be shortly before opening, and the meeting place to be somewhere that has coffee! :mrgreen:

ETA: The Omni Hotel is connected to the KBH convention center by a skybridge and has a coffee shop in the lobby, along with seven other restaurants. Open to better suggestions though.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 3846
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#25

Post by bblhd672 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:17 pm

ELB wrote:
strogg wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:We should have a pre-arranged meetup location at the NRA show for all the forum members who attend to get together.
That's a great idea. I suggest we have a designated spot and time for all three days. That way we can accommodate people's varying schedules throughout the weekend. So something like meet up at this tbd spot by 9:15AM on all three days. Once the group feels like everyone who will show up has shown up, they'll start walking around and perusing.

I am planning on going Friday morning myself to avoid the weekend crowd, although something tells me it'll be packed senseless regardless of which day I go anyway.
My plan it to be at the door when the exhibit opens on Friday and hopefully avoid some of the rush.

I vote we establish the meeting time to be shortly before opening, and the meeting place to be somewhere that has coffee! :mrgreen:

ETA: The Omni Hotel is connected to the KBH convention center by a skybridge and has a coffee shop in the lobby, along with seven other restaurants. Open to better suggestions though.
That's a good idea. If the hotel allows concealed and open carry that is!


Chemist45
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#26

Post by Chemist45 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

I'll be there, along with Mrs. Chemist.
RPBrown wrote
Too bad they say they don't sell firearms at the exhibit. :cryin
But they do sell other things!
Accessories, clothing, hunts.
You can still get in a lot of trouble. :thumbs2:

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 7302
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#27

Post by RoyGBiv » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 am

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

sbrawley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm
Location: Lubbock

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#28

Post by sbrawley » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm

ELB wrote:
strogg wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:We should have a pre-arranged meetup location at the NRA show for all the forum members who attend to get together.
That's a great idea. I suggest we have a designated spot and time for all three days. That way we can accommodate people's varying schedules throughout the weekend. So something like meet up at this tbd spot by 9:15AM on all three days. Once the group feels like everyone who will show up has shown up, they'll start walking around and perusing.

I am planning on going Friday morning myself to avoid the weekend crowd, although something tells me it'll be packed senseless regardless of which day I go anyway.
My plan it to be at the door when the exhibit opens on Friday and hopefully avoid some of the rush.

I vote we establish the meeting time to be shortly before opening, and the meeting place to be somewhere that has coffee! :mrgreen:

ETA: The Omni Hotel is connected to the KBH convention center by a skybridge and has a coffee shop in the lobby, along with seven other restaurants. Open to better suggestions though.
I second the coffee idea :thumbs2:
You've never met America, and you ought to pray you never do -Charlie Daniels
NRA Life Member

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 6389
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#29

Post by ELB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Do we have a Dallas member that can reconnoiter a coffee-equipped rendezvous point?
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 9551
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

#30

Post by carlson1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Well the wonderful, great, terrific, Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway of Dallas wants the convention cancelled.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”