Should I conceal carry a .22 pistol?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pixie123
Posts in topic: 1

Should I conceal carry a .22 pistol?

Post by Pixie123 »

I know it’s not the best choice, but does anyone carry a .22? The reason I ask is because I am not very accurate at shooting larger caliber pistols, even with a lot of practice. The recoil makes me miss my target a lot. However, with the .22 I can consistently shoot very accurately. Head shots and heart shots are very easy. I am able to hit vital areas cleanly and consistently with a .22.

I want something small that I can shoot accurately and conceal.

Is this a bad idea?

Lynyrd

Re: Should I conceal carry a .22 pistol?

Post by Lynyrd »

You are probably going to get some negative feedback on carrying a .22. My wife has trouble with large caliber pistols, so I understand your dilemma. I had rather you have a .22 than nothing at all, but a bigger caliber would be much more likely to take down a BG if the situation ever arises. With a .22 you may only cause minor damage and not stop a potential assailant in time to avoid them doing you harm.

That being said, have you tried a .380? And have you tried larger frame guns? The heavier the gun, the smaller the recoil.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Pixie123 wrote:I know it’s not the best choice, but does anyone carry a .22? The reason I ask is because I am not very accurate at shooting larger caliber pistols, even with a lot of practice. The recoil makes me miss my target a lot. However, with the .22 I can consistently shoot very accurately. Head shots and heart shots are very easy. I am able to hit vital areas cleanly and consistently with a .22.

Is this a bad idea?
How many rounds have you put through your new LC2? Have you had any formal training shooting it? What distance are you practicing from?
If the LC2 is too snappy for you, try to find someone or a range that has a S&W Shield .380 EZ. I haven't shot one, but it is supposed to be easier to handle/operate and larger than a typical .380.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... shield-ez/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I would agree with Lynyrd, anything beats nothing. That said a mid size .380 might be something to try, not one of the little pocket pistols but maybe the Ruger LC380 or the Walther PK380. maybe even a .38 Special revolver (NOT "airweight). I think the other thing to make sure of is that you are using heavier grains, standard pressure rounds instead of the high velocity +P type ammo. All combined might make your experience with a larger than .22 pistol much better.

Just my opinion.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

strogg

Post by strogg »

You may also consider a .22 mag. Recoil is still light, but it has more of an impact. Also, don't forget .25 or .32 caliber pistols if you can find them (and the ammo). .22 LR/mag will be a lot more plentiful, though.

If size isn't a factor in concealment, you may want to think about getting a handgun with a 5" barrel. Less recoil impulse.

Anything is better than nothing. But keep this in mind. Lets say the bg is high on PCP. Unless you're lucky with a very well placed shot, the bg is not gonna even blink when shot with a .22 LR.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

I think the major problem with .22LR aside from the lack of energy is that the round is not that reliable, depending on brand. Anything centerfire is better than a rimfire. We shoot a fair amount of .22LR and throw away an awful lot of well primer struck ammo. I just bought a Kel-Tec p32, haven't fired it yet but it is supposed to be a mild recoil. The laws of physics though are fixed and there are no really light firearms that shoot a "high" powered round without recoil. If .22LR is the best you can handle then go with that knowing the imperfections in the round.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I would advise against carrying any rimfire due to the reliably issues that are known among them. If you are going to carry a rimfire and absolutely insist on one, may I recommend a double action single action revolver. You will always have second strike capability if it doesn’t go off the first time. Nowadays you can get 22 LR revolvers that hold up to 10 shots. I wouldn’t carry anything less than 9mm but I also know that a 22lr can be a nasty little booger and can do some serious damage when it bounces around inside soft tissue. I wouldn’t want to get shot with an airsoft gun let alone a 22. Also pulling out a revolver of any kind has more of an intimidation factor by looks than a semi auto does.

If weight and size are not an issue to you, you can always get a steel framed 1911 in 9mm, and then the recoil will be almost ruled out of the equation.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Accuracy is far more important than caliber. A hit with a 22 is more effective than a miss with a 45.

As far as reliability, 22 rimfire is less reliable than centerfire ammo. Having said that, I shoot a lot of 22 and have found its reliability depends a lot on the quality of the ammo and the gun. I have almost no issues with my Browning Buckmark or my S&W M&P 22s. Particularly when I use high quality ammo. I would have no trouble carrying either one with 22s.

If you have been shooting small guns, you might try guns with full grips. I have found that a full grip even on a small gun makes a lot of difference with recoil.

The S&W M&P 22 BTW is a very light relatively small gun. When I was have wrist problems, I seriously thought about carrying that gun.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

stroo wrote:Accuracy is far more important than caliber. A hit with a 22 is more effective than a miss with a 45.

As far as reliability, 22 rimfire is less reliable than centerfire ammo. Having said that, I shoot a lot of 22 and have found its reliability depends a lot on the quality of the ammo and the gun. I have almost no issues with my Browning Buckmark or my S&W M&P 22s. Particularly when I use high quality ammo. I would have no trouble carrying either one with 22s.

If you have been shooting small guns, you might try guns with full grips. I have found that a full grip even on a small gun makes a lot of difference with recoil.

The S&W M&P 22 BTW is a very light relatively small gun. When I was have wrist problems, I seriously thought about carrying that gun.
What do you mean. Don't you know that the muzzle blast from a .45 ACP will destroy any assailant within 10 yards of the muzzle of a 1911? A miss is indeed better than a .22!

Sorry. I'll go back to the shadows.

All kidding aside, a .22 is better than nothing, and so far I have never met anyone that would let me shoot them with a .22 when they ran their mouth about how weak it was. Good advice here.

Welcome to the forum!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Back in another life I carried a NAA 22 magnum in my boot. I never took it out when I was on duty. It may not have been much, but even in the book in I wa s never unarmed.

I would not suggest that now nor suggest the NAA 22 magnum especially if recoil is a problem.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Everybody who knows anybody who wants to get shot with a .22 Long Rifle Hollow Point, please raise your hand. "rlol"
Last edited by Oldgringo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Oldgringo wrote:Everybody who knows anybody who wants to get shot with a .22 Long Rifle Hollow Point raise your hand. "rlol"
Some of them Tide pod eaters might take you up on it.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Everybody who knows anybody who wants to get shot with a .22 Long Rifle Hollow Point raise your hand. "rlol"
Some of them Tide pod eaters might take you up on it.
You guys have to pay for dry cleaning bill. :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Pixie123 wrote:I know it’s not the best choice, but does anyone carry a .22? The reason I ask is because I am not very accurate at shooting larger caliber pistols, even with a lot of practice. The recoil makes me miss my target a lot. However, with the .22 I can consistently shoot very accurately. Head shots and heart shots are very easy. I am able to hit vital areas cleanly and consistently with a .22.

Is this a bad idea?
It's not a bad idea but it may not be the best idea.

As has already be said, a 22 is better than nothing.

You state that you can hit the vitals easily. Are these moving targets that are intending to do you harm? Are you moving at the same time? I'm not trying to discount your abilities, far from it, but standing on a range shooting static targets is a far cry from what you are likely to experience in the real world. Now if you can consistently hit a running jackrabbit in the eye at 50 paces with your 22 then I think you have the perfect gun and I envy you.

A larger caliber still requires you to hit your target but it also allows for a little more energy and penetration.

I am not volunteering to get shot with a 22. I don't think any sane person would do that and many sane people would not attack a drawn 22. What I am more concerned with is the crack heads that aren't sane. They may need a little more persuasion to alter their behavior.

It is most important for you to carry and carry what you can shoot. I'd say carry the 22 and work on trying to up the caliber scale at least a little.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Once in a blue moon I carry my NAA .22 magnum. If I have to wear a suit where people who may not like guns are hugging everyone in sight - weddings and funerals come to mind - I'll carry the little revolver. It's near useless at any range, but it's better than nothing. Mostly.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”