CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 7

Is LTC considered "Weapons training"

Post by Killadocg23 »

Hi guys,

Quick question, would having a LTC be considered weapons training? Filling out a form and it ask if I EVER received any military paramilitary or weapons training? I have my LTC and just was wondering if it is in fact weapons training?

Thanks

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is LTC considered "Weapons training"

Post by flechero »

I would answer no, unless you have other specific training. It's a law review and a test of very basic shooting skill, not training.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Usually, after such a question one is asked to further elaborate. My CHL classes covered legal rules of engagement safety, and qualification. It was training and it was concerning weapons, so to me, it is definitely a sort rudimentary weapons training.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

In the DPS instructions for Module 2, DPS states that “this module is not designed to teach students how to shoot, but is an overview of the skills related to marksmanship with an emphasis on safety.”

Some instructors will charge extra and add some basic pistol training to their LTC course. It really depends how loosely you define “weapons training” for the LTC certification course and the intent of the questionnaire you’re filling out.

The new law that applies only to online LTC students requires 1 to 2 hours of range instruction. DPS hasn’t provided any guidance as to what is expected, but it only takes me maybe 15 minutes to cover everything about range instructions, range safety, range rules, course of fire, and target scoring. The rest of the 45 minutes will have to be over basic pistol concepts, which would constitute some weapons training. This can be a good thing to make people better shooters. I just wish they applied it consistently to all LTC applicants if they are going to require it at all.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Killadocg23 ,

Do you mind stating the name of or what form asked such a question?

I ask out of simple curiosity.

Thanks!

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Abraham wrote:Killadocg23 ,

Thanks!
No problem.

It is for Form I485 "Adjustment of status". I am a student here in Texas and me and my fiancee are getting married. One of the questions on the from was "Have you ever received any military,para military or weapons training"? , so I was wondering would having a LTC count as "weapons training". I called USCIS and a lady didnt give me a definitive answer as to if it was. I called DPS CHL center and the gentleman told me that it wouldn't be weapons training. Just was curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Killadocg23 wrote:

Thanks!
No problem.

It is for Form I485 "Adjustment of status". I am a student here in Texas and me and my fiancee are getting married. One of the questions on the from was "Have you ever received any military,para military or weapons training"? , so I was wondering would having a LTC count as "weapons training". I called USCIS and a lady didnt give me a definitive answer as to if it was. I called DPS CHL center and the gentleman told me that it wouldn't be weapons training. Just was curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks
Purely out of curiosity, I googled “Form I485 “Adjustment of status””, and I’m assuming you’re talking about this: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/adjustment-of-status? Not that it matters I suppose, but why on earth would the gov’t want to know if you’d had any formal weapons training, as part of an immigration process? They strike me as unrelated matters.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:

Thanks!
No problem.

Thanks
Purely out of curiosity, I googled “Form I485 “Adjustment of status””, and I’m assuming you’re talking about this: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/adjustment-of-status? Not that it matters I suppose, but why on earth would the gov’t want to know if you’d had any formal weapons training, as part of an immigration process? They strike me as unrelated matters.
Yes sir. It puzzles me as well lol.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Not that it matters I suppose, but why on earth would the gov’t want to know if you’d had any formal weapons training, as part of an immigration process? They strike me as unrelated matters.

As one who has gone through the long process and became a naturalized US Citizen just this month, let me assure you they want to know *everything*, especially on the 'new & improved' 21 page naturalization form (N-400 if you want to google it)....

But I still want to know why so many gov't forms have a section to select race and/or ethnicity (often not the same list from form to form)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

I'll postulate that it has something to do with ITAR. The weapons technical information, training, etc., are all in there.

As firearms instructors (NRA or our own stuff) we have to be wary of ITAR issues.

Agree, not for LTC as drawn up by the state.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Scott B. wrote:I'll postulate that it has something to do with ITAR. The weapons technical information, training, etc., are all in there.

As firearms instructors (NRA or our own stuff) we have to be wary of ITAR issues.

So no, wouldn't be weapons training?

Thanks

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

ghostrider wrote:
...But I still want to know why so many gov't forms have a section to select race and/or ethnicity (often not the same list from form to form)
On the last update to the 4473, during the 'we want your input' phase, I, and others, submitted a request that they pull this particular set of questions from the 4473. It insults customers and is generally useless. They're not collecting the demographic data. It simply sits in the FFL's file storage for 20 years until destroyed. During a trace request on a stolen firearm, the tracing center doesn't ask about that block in my experience.

BATF's official response stated that it stays because it's a federal rule, and it has to be asked in two parts. :roll:
Last edited by Scott B. on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Killadocg23 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I'll postulate that it has something to do with ITAR. The weapons technical information, training, etc., are all in there.

So no, wouldn't be weapons training?

Thanks
No, not weapons training. It's to check a box off in a licensing scheme. We do test if you're proficient in the usage of a firearm, but we're not training how to you use it. Could be a gray area, but RSD's answer should suffice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”