My Wife Now Has PTSD

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My Wife Now Has PTSD

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:That’s a great story. Every wife should be able to handle an AR-15 and commonly used handguns.
My wife carries a G43, and she also owns a G19, a S&W 642, a .22 LR rifle, a 20 gauge O/U shotgun, and an AR15. She’s not really an enthusiast. She only owns those particular guns because she’s married to me. Left to her own devices if I weren’t in the picture, she’d probably have eventually bought a .38 for self protection, and maybe have gotten her carry license.

Her first gun was that 642 - which I gave her as a Valentine’s Day gift in 2008. She was actually thrilled to have it, but found the trigger pull to be too stiff for her liking.

She bought the G19 herself because she liked it after having rented one for the CHL qualification. But the G19 was too big for purse carry (yes... I KNOW what a bad idea purse carry is, but after many attempts over a decade to convince her otherwise, that is no longer a hill I’m willing to die on) so she carried that 642 for a while.

In the meantime, I had purchased myself a Kahr PM9, and although that gun was too hard recoiling for her comfort, she did like the trigger; so we bought her a slightly larger and heavier CW9, and she carried that for a few years, and shot it reasonably well.

Enter the G43. Her G19 had always been her favorite pistol to shoot, so when the 43 came out, I asked if she thought she might prefer to have a single stack 9mm that would be closer in size to her Kahr, but shot like her G19, and she said yes. So we bought her the 43 and sold the CW9, and the 43 has been her EDC ever since.

Some years ago, AndyC introduced me to the sport of skeet, and I had such a good time with it that I asked TAW if she’d like to try it some time. She said sure, and she showed up with me at the next skeet get together and used a borrowed 870 in 20 gauge. She enjoyed it enough that I bought her a Yldiz O/U 20 gauge at Academy. She’s only used it once or twice since. Oh well.

A few years back, I had about 90% of the parts laying around that would be needed to build another AR carbine; so I thought I’d build one for my wife. If she didn’t like it, well.....there’s always room for another AR, right? Turns out that she liked it..... :mrgreen: ....not enough to want to shoot it all the time, but she likes the idea of having a long gun that she’s not afraid to shoot.

Her .22 rifle I bought used from a forum member (don’t remember who), simply because everyone should have a .22 plinker; I had one, and thought she should have one too. She loves shooting that little thing.....but not enough to take the time on her own initiative to go to the range with it.

So whether it’s pistols, rifles, or shotguns, she owns them because of my presence in her life, and she shoots them most of the time only because she feels guilty about one out of every ten of my invitations she turns down to go to the range with me. She has fun when she goes, but only because she’s doing it with me - not because she loves to go shooting.

The upside is that she never gripes at me when I bring home a new gun. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Venus Pax wrote:Great story! I love the AR-15s. I, too, am very intimidated by guns with lots of recoil, and find the AR--15 is very easy to shoot.
Holy smokes!! Welcome back, Venus Packs! Where have you been for the last 4 years?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:Great story! I love the AR-15s. I, too, am very intimidated by guns with lots of recoil, and find the AR--15 is very easy to shoot.
Holy smokes!! Welcome back, Venus Packs! Where have you been for the last 4 years?
A mega-dose of "life." Lol!
It's good to be back on the forum. Thanks for the welcome; it's good to be home.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”