How to handle improperly posted 51% signs, a question of etiquette.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to handle improperly posted 51% signs, a question of etiquette.

Post by strogg »

I should give the app a shot. I was at a restaurant a month ago that clearly had an illegal 51% sign (no way did they make most of their money in booze). There was only one sign, and it was posted facing outside on a side door that is blocked by furniture on the inside so it is not a valid ingress/egress point. It happens to be facing the parking lot, so unless you parked by the front door, you'll probably see it on your way to the front door. No 30.06/30.07 signs anywhere. The Texas 3006 app did mention that the previous location (it recently moved) did have a valid 30.06 sign. This new location does not, though. I feel like they're just trying to pull a fast one. I will be sure to report them.

Would I ever bring it up with management? No. Not worth my time and aggravation. I'd rather have TABC deal with it, especially since this was in Austin.

rocinante

Post by rocinante »

I suggest double checking before depending on the app. A friend of mine saw out-dated info using the Android app last December. Hopefully they've corrected it. But at the time showed a blue sign for a Plano area restaurant that shows red sign on the TABC web site. The app on my iPhone showed the correct information.

He did report the issue to the TABC, and they acknowledged that something was wrong. Hopefully they have fixed it.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Many of us are quick to use the word 'illegal' when we mean improper, erroneous, doesn't apply, etc...

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Abraham wrote:Many of us are quick to use the word 'illegal' when we mean improper, erroneous, doesn't apply, etc...
undocumented

:biggrinjester:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

spectre,

You want my pointed head to explode don't you...?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Many of us are quick to use the word 'illegal' when we mean improper, erroneous, doesn't apply, etc...
I agree in general, but I don't think it applies in this case. To me, "illegal" means "not in compliance with the law". If there is a law that requires a business to post a specific sign, and requires that they do not post a different sign, as is the case here, then posting the wrong sign is, in fact, an "illegal" act.

Conversely, a business that posts a sign which does not comply with the requirements of 30.06 because the wording is wrong, the letters are too small, a required language is missing, location is not conspicuous, or there are no contrasting colors, has not done anything "illegal". And the sign that they have posted is not an "illegal" sign. That business has simply not posted a valid 30.06 sign for whatever reason.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”