Employers that allow their employees to carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Employers that allow their employees to carry

Post by Grundy1133 »

Flightmare wrote:My employer has posted in the employee handbook (which we are required to sign a document that we have read and agree to) that firearms are not only prohibited in the buildings, but parking lots as well. The language is not 30.06 or 30.07 compliant, so I am not concerned about violation of tresspass, but they could terminate me if I was caught bringing it into the building. Since we are not one of the defined industries excluded from the parking lot law, state law trumps company policy. Part of me almost WANTS them to try to challenge me on that, but I tend to be a "don't make waves" sort of personality. Our company HQ is outside of the state, which is why I suppose they are not familiar with the Texas specific laws regarding parking lots and compliant signage. Many of the people in the local office are LTCs.
sue for wrongful termination.
NRA Member

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

treadlightly wrote:
LDB415 wrote:I'm old and cranky with a bad attitude. My take is that unless the employer officially gives notice either during the hiring interview or employee handbook/materials provided when hired that carrying is prohibited it is perfectly allowable to carry concealed at work. Nobody is going to know anyway since it's concealed. YMMV.
When I ran my own tiny company (11 on staff, as I recall), I never thought to mention guns. Or set limits oxygen consumption while on the job. It just never occurred to me.

Now, my son and I run a small operation. Hmmm... I guess I could tell him his Glock isn't welcome. Oh, wait, not a problem. He's a good lad, he carries a 1911. Silly me.
:biggrinjester:
Just think, he would be a GREAT lad if he carried his Glock. :coolgleamA:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:My employer has posted in the employee handbook (which we are required to sign a document that we have read and agree to) that firearms are not only prohibited in the buildings, but parking lots as well. The language is not 30.06 or 30.07 compliant, so I am not concerned about violation of tresspass, but they could terminate me if I was caught bringing it into the building. Since we are not one of the defined industries excluded from the parking lot law, state law trumps company policy. Part of me almost WANTS them to try to challenge me on that, but I tend to be a "don't make waves" sort of personality. Our company HQ is outside of the state, which is why I suppose they are not familiar with the Texas specific laws regarding parking lots and compliant signage. Many of the people in the local office are LTCs.
In Texas, the employer doesn't have to give a reason for termination.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

twomillenium wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
oh yeah. i forgot about that... thats a pretty awful law... employer: "i dont like the way you laugh. you're fired"
NRA Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Grundy1133 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
oh yeah. i forgot about that... thats a pretty awful law... employer: "i dont like the way you laugh. you're fired"
Well, actually it is used to say "I don't like the amount I have to pay you for the quality of work you do." without worry about getting sued for hurting a lazy workers feelings. At least, that is what I used it for. The more northern, eastern and far west states protect lazy workers. Other than that I would suggest not to laugh that way. :tiphat:

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

My current employer did not ask or say anything about a license to carry when I signed on more than five years ago. It never came up as a topic until one of the owners got his LTC a few weekends ago. He and his Wife (the other owner) were in the office talking about it and then they asked me if I or my wife have a license. When I said we both do, they asked me if I ever carried. I told them they had never seen me that I wasn’t armed. They were surprised Because they had never noticed it.
USAF 1982-2005

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

I’m lucky, we only have one person in the company that I work for that doesn’t carry and he’s taking his class in two weeks.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

I work for a major hospital in fort worth. Yes that big one on main st! i remember 7 yrs ago during orientation, our police chief told us that the hospital doesn’t allow cc but wink, wink, he said “we also don’t pat you down and check your bags when you come in so I’ll leave it at that!” I love our police chief.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

oljames3 wrote:
rmr24 wrote:TxDOT allows CC.
Texas agencies cannot prohibit carrying unless there are special circumstances. Before my wife retired from the Teacher Retirement System, I carried openly whenever I visited her there.
Just for technical accuracy, state agencies cannot prohibit visitors from carrying, but they still may prohibit their employees from carrying at work. My agency only changed their policy a couple years ago. We can now carry concealed but are still forbidden to open carry. Our employee handbook specifies that open carry is only allowed for the employees who are peace officers commissioned by our agency to avoid confusion in case of emergency. Yes, it actually does have that reason in the handbook.
Steve Rothstein

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Coincidentally, I answered a phone call from a gentleman, who was first inquiring about the availability of a certain gun, in the store. He then asked about our LTC classes. He told me that he purchased a gun, and paid for an LTC class for all of his employees. He said that he encouraged all of his employees to carry at all times. He did not provide the name of his company, only that it was an insurance company in the Dallas area. He also said that doing these things helped weed out potential employees, who could not pass a background check. I applauded his policy, and even inquired if he had any job openings. :patriot:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

bigtek wrote:
Keith B wrote:Not if they have provided 30.06 notice in the employee manual or have given verbal notice.
:confused5
Just to make sure I'm remembering the code correctly, if the property owner or someone given authority by the owner, which I assume could be an HR manager, simply tells you "No guns allowed" then that counts as proper notification, right? That is, assuming it isn't someplace where carry can't be prohibited like a city or county owned park.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Rafe wrote:
bigtek wrote:
Keith B wrote:
bigtek wrote:If they don't provide 30.06 compliant notice, and they're not a location prohibited by TPC 46 or Federal law, then their employees are legally allowed to carry.
Not if they have provided 30.06 notice in the employee manual or have given verbal notice.
Just to make sure I'm remembering the code correctly, if the property owner or someone given authority by the owner, which I assume could be an HR manager, simply tells you "No guns allowed" then that counts as proper notification, right? That is, assuming it isn't someplace where carry can't be prohibited like a city or county owned park.
Correct. Oral notice doesn't require specific verbiage. Written communication does require specific verbiage.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Rafe wrote:
bigtek wrote:
Keith B wrote:Not if they have provided 30.06 notice in the employee manual or have given verbal notice.
That is correct, if they TELL you. If they provide written notice (like putting it in the employee handbook) then it MUST use the wording in TPC 30.06.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

E10

Post by E10 »

Grundy1133 wrote:...employer: "i dont like the way you laugh. you're fired"
Employee: Boss, I don’t like the way you laugh. I quit.

My wife and I own a business with 20 employees. We do allow concealed carry in our offices, and I think those employers who don’t are foolish to think they are safer than we are. But it’s a private property matter, and what other employers do is up to them, even if they’re wrong. Texas’ right to work and at-will employment laws just even the playing field. Employers are free to hire and retain whomever they wish, and employees are free to work for whomever they wish. With the employment situation right now, it’s an employee market. I see “We’re hiring” signs everywhere I go. If you want to carry at work, go find a place that will allow you to do so.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

E10 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:...employer: "i dont like the way you laugh. you're fired"
Employee: Boss, I don’t like the way you laugh. I quit.

My wife and I own a business with 20 employees. We do allow concealed carry in our offices, and I think those employers who don’t are foolish to think they are safer than we are. But it’s a private property matter, and what other employers do is up to them, even if they’re wrong. Texas’ right to work and at-will employment laws just even the playing field. Employers are free to hire and retain whomever they wish, and employees are free to work for whomever they wish. With the employment situation right now, it’s an employee market. I see “We’re hiring” signs everywhere I go. If you want to carry at work, go find a place that will allow you to do so.
I guess it depends where you live... I live in a tiny town with the closest thing to a city being about 20 miles south of me and about 50 north of me and about 25 east and who knows how many west of me lol. the only help wanted signs i see where i live are for wal mart and ive already worked there.. 4 times. the most recent time i had quit becuase i got a a much better job offer (which after a year I got laid off from... thanks for that...) and i dont think im "rehirable" lol. i guess its time to move to a bigger area.
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”