Bar with no 51% sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 8

Bar with no 51% sign

Post by Grundy1133 »

So I visited this establishment with my girlfriend. As we approached I saw their blue "Unlicensed possession" sign. After we entered I noticed there were no food sales. it was essentially a bar or a pub. all they had was different ales and hard liquors. I never planned on coming back to this place anyway so I asked the guy behind the counter if this was a 51% establishment. he replied with Yes it is. So I asked Where's your 51% sign? He just kinda looked at me and said "Well... We don't have one." I said oh. ok. then he asked "Well you're not open carrying are you?" (I was concealed carrying but i didn't wanna volunteer that info) so i just said "No I'm not open carrying." after that, we left. Now my question would be, couldn't they get into a LOT of trouble for not having a 51% sign when in fact 51% of their sales comes from alcohol that's consumed on the property? And should I notify TABC that they don't have a 51% sign displayed?
NRA Member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Re: Bar with no 51% sign

Post by Grundy1133 »

Also a quick question, am I LEGALLY obligated to report the violation to the TABC?
NRA Member

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

- are you obligated to report them? No. Their incompetence is solely on them.
- can they get in hot water? Some, a TABC agent might be brusque with them for being too dumb to post the required sign(s)
- should you report their signage lapse to the TABC? perhaps.

First,
- look up the establishment in the database search at http://tabc.texas.gov/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
- if their record comes back in the last line as Gun Sign: RED, feel free to dime them out to the local TABC office via phone call, email, or the TABC app for displaying the wrong sign. Don't say anything about LTC, just that the business is not displaying the correct signage and the employee you spoke to appears not to understand the signage requirements.
- if their record comes back Gun Sign: BLUE, shrug, and enjoy the rest of your day.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:- are you obligated to report them? No. Their incompetence is solely on them.
- can they get in hot water? Some, a TABC agent might be brusque with them for being too dumb to post the required sign(s)
- should you report their signage lapse to the TABC? perhaps.

First,
- look up the establishment in the database search at http://tabc.texas.gov/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
- if their record comes back in the last line as Gun Sign: RED, feel free to dime them out to the local TABC office via phone call, email, or the TABC app for displaying the wrong sign. Don't say anything about LTC, just that the business is not displaying the correct signage and the employee you spoke to appears not to understand the signage requirements.
- if their record comes back Gun Sign: BLUE, shrug, and enjoy the rest of your day.....
Gun sign: (blank) what's that mean?
NRA Member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Screenshot from 2018-04-28 00-00-40.png
I marked out addresses and names and license numbers for their privacy.
NRA Member

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Under status, it does say "Pending renewal". I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Flightmare wrote:Under status, it does say "Pending renewal". I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.
But shouldn't it have the gun sign requirements listed even if it was pending renewal? they obtained the license in 2014.
Orig. Issue Date: 4/4/2014
Exp. Date: 4/3/2018
NRA Member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

ill just chalk it up to the guy behind the counter had no idea what he was talking about... and if i ever decide to go back there continue to carry until i see a 51% sign.
NRA Member

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If they are 'Pending Renewal', they should continue to run existing signage until the renewal (and possible reclassification) goes into effect.

Gun Sign: <blank> is usually seen in manufacturing licenses. Breweries and Wineries may also operate tasting rooms, and may or may not also offer food at those sites. In either case, the income derived from the tasting room compared to what they ship out for sale down the supply chain does not constitute 51% of the company's income. Yes, a brewery does derive more than 51% of it's income from alcohol sales (100%). But only a few % is actually on-premise consumption. So, not a 51% location to TABC's interpretation. (confusing, is it not?)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:If they are 'Pending Renewal', they should continue to run existing signage until the renewal (and possible reclassification) goes into effect.

Gun Sign: <blank> is usually seen in manufacturing licenses. Breweries and Wineries may also operate tasting rooms, and may or may not also offer food at those sites. In either case, the income derived from the tasting room compared to what they ship out for sale down the supply chain does not constitute 51% of the company's income. Yes, a brewery does derive more than 51% of it's income from alcohol sales (100%). But only a few % is actually on-premise consumption. So, not a 51% location to TABC's interpretation. (confusing, is it not?)
Lol.... it's clear as mud! :thumbs2: well like i said i dont really plan on going back there but if I ever do, I'll just look around for the 51% sign and if i dont see it, i'll just not worry about it. *shrug*
NRA Member

eyet

Post by eyet »

I looked them up on the TABC site. They appear to be licensed as a distillery. With that type of license, they can sell up to 3000 gallons per year for on-premesis consumption and don’t need a red sign.

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

There is a mobile app also, TABC mobile. At least for Iphone.

We eat at a restaurant locally that has 2 branches, both have hard alcohol and food. One is posted blue but we don't go there. The other is not posted at all. I have looked for a sign and checked the TABC site and they don't list. No sign, I don't care and I carry. The other place is blue, this one might be red. Do I care, no. Will I report them, no. I personally don't see why a 51% sign should have any effect on a LTC holder. You carry, you don't drink. Stupid law to ban LTC holder.

I never report or tell a business that their sign is wrong (I don't care what type of sign they put up-I don't help them fix it). Their business.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

I report a business that posts a red sign when they shouldn't but otherwise I don't get involved.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

bigtek wrote:I report a business that posts a red sign when they shouldn't but otherwise I don't get involved.
I agree. I should have mentioned this in my post.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

I just don't care about 51% signs.

It's easy enough to tell if it's just a bar.

Sheesh....

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”