Texas LTC Requirements

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Catntx
Posts in topic: 1

Texas LTC Requirements

Post by Catntx »

When I went through the LTC/CHL Class, we were told that if you had a license from another state and were visiting Texas they would honor the out of state license but if you moved to Texas or lived here that you have to obtain a Texas LTC the out of state would no longer be valid once you became a resident. True or not? The story on the news makes it sound like you can get the Virginia license and Texas would honor it even if your state of residence is Texas.

apostate

Re: Texas LTC Requirements

Post by apostate »

Texas doesn't discriminate between resident and nonresident licenses for reciprocity purposes.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Catntx wrote:...... if you moved to Texas or lived here that you have to obtain a Texas LTC the out of state would no longer be valid once you became a resident..
Not correct.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

This may be a situation-specific/semantics thing.
Virginia resident with Virginia resident license = OK in Texas
Texas resident with Virginia nonresident license = OK in Texas
Texas resident with Virginia resident license = not exactly OK in either state, correct?

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Channel 8 also stated that person did not have to show proof of taking some instruction. That's not true a person must show that they took a online, NRA or other approved course. When submitting their paperwork.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Depends. Texas will still honor a valid out-of state license. But, the issuing state may cancel the license once it finds you are no longer a resident. For example, Texas honors the Illinois resident license, but Illinois will cancel the license when the person moves to another state.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Catntx wrote:...... if you moved to Texas or lived here that you have to obtain a Texas LTC the out of state would no longer be valid once you became a resident..
Not correct.
It is correct in at least one instance. Oklahoma will not issue out of state licenses. Once a Texas residence is established, the Oklahoma license is invalid per Oklahoma.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

You make a good point. Texas doesn't honor revoked or suspended licenses. If the other state revokes your license because you're no longer a resident of that state, or because you're convicted of robbing a bank, then Texas will not honor the invalid license.

However, if your out of state license is valid, then Texas doesn't care if it's a resident or nonresident license. FOr example, if you have a valid Arizona license, Texas reciprocity is the same whether you're a resident of Arizona, Texas or California.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Jcknotts277

Post by Jcknotts277 »

I'm applying for a nonresident Virginia ltc as a resident of Texas i was charged with a disorderly conduct and am ineligible to have a Texas license to carry just for using profanity in public in front of a police officer I plead guilty should have fought it for first amendment rights

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

its best to just get a Texas LTC when you move here. it cuts out a lot of confusion and it isn't expensive at all. $40 application fee $10 fingerprint fee and $25-80 for the class depending on where you go.
NRA Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Jcknotts277 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 pm I'm applying for a nonresident Virginia ltc as a resident of Texas i was charged with a disorderly conduct and am ineligible to have a Texas license to carry just for using profanity in public in front of a police officer I plead guilty should have fought it for first amendment rights
While I agree that this restriction does not make sense, the problem is that some of the elements that can make up disorderly conduct include misbehavior with firearms where it does make sense.

The only good news I can give is that it is not a permanent bar. It is only five years from the date of the conviction.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”