A question...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

A question...

Post by Odinvalknir »

My daughters are both in a local cheer group organization. They practice at a school in League City, the school just so happens to be on the backside of another school we're just today a kid brought some sort of unloaded firearm to school with him. With the uptick in this kind of thing including terroristic threats and actual shootings and all the rest. If you had to go to the school albeit after hours, would you take your concealed carry firearm along with you actually on your person? If you had to go to a school where some sort of threat or actual event had happened, would you break the law my carrying your firearm into a school building.

Just a question, im not advocating breaking the law obviously.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Re: A question...

Post by twomillenium »

NO! Obviously, until the laws change (needed change) if you feel the threat is that great then don't go. There are other ways to respond and be situationally aware, within the law. Albeit not the most proficient, there are still other ways.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Allons

Post by Allons »

twomillenium wrote:NO! Obviously, until the laws change (needed change) if you feel the threat is that great then don't go. There are other ways to respond and be situationally aware, within the law. Albeit not the most proficient, there are still other ways.
:iagree: Suppose you start printing, have a holster malfunction or something. Someone notifies LEO, the way things are now I would not take that chance.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

A school is still a school even after hours.

Nope nope nope! I would not carry into a school without written permission or, as discussed in another thread, to stop an active shooter or to get my daughter in the even of an active shooter.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Is cheer practice inside or outside of the school building?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

RoyGBiv wrote:Is cheer practice inside or outside of the school building?
Regardless of location, one could argue school sponsored activity.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I avoid going into schools like the plague if I can help it... My nephew is graduating from HS this saturday and im not sure if i want to attend or not... at least when my other nephew graduated college I was able to carry there...
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Everyone is saying no don't carry and I agree. The problem is you want to carry to protect your family. You can't though. So what do you do? Your not going does not protect your family. There is no answer that is legal. If you are illegal though you very well may never be able to carry again after you get out of jail. Therefore you need to make sure that there is some type of police presence, just not you (unless you are LEO).

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

If it is indoors, then you can wait on the sidewalk armed.
I agree it is a school sponsored activity, so if it is outdoors and you are a part of it, then carry is not legal. If you are within sight, but not part of the activity, then I would argue that carry is legal. I would include waiting on the other side of the fence/street or being in a parked vehicle whether on the street or in a school lot to be outside of the school activity.

Youngest graduates from high school Friday, although my wife will continue to teach and my work frequently takes me to high schools.

Good luck!
Jeff

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'll decline to answer this question. But I will lay out my decision making process in general terms. I place much greater weight on my personal values and morals than I do on laws. Laws change to reflect the whims of man. At one time it was legal to own other humans as slaves. I would like to think that had I been alive at that time and in a position to possibly own slaves, I would have chosen not to be in a business that required me to do that, because, while legal, it would violate my morals. For the same reason, today I choose not to move to a location in the world where prostitution is legal and open a brothel. While legal, such a decision would violate my morals.

And one of my most strongly held values is the duty to protect my family. Protection of my children is paramount in that broader duty.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Chas.
Hallelujah!

Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
:iagree:

Private property owners should not be forced to allow anyone onto their property. They also should be able to change their mind and demand that someone leave even though they were previously invited. In other words, I believe in the absolute right of only having people you want on your property. I further believe that private property owners should have the full use of law enforcement, that we all pay for, to assist in removing people who refuse to leave when asked.

I also believe in civil rights, and I do not think that a person owning private property should have the ability to use police resources to enforce silly whims about the behavior and possessions of people who they have invited onto their property. If you have a weird phobia about colored underwear, socks, guns, pennies, or anything else, its probably best to just not invite anyone onto your property in the first place. At a minimum you need to set up some type of detection mechanism so you can ask people to leave if they have any pennies in their pockets, or whatever. Or just seek mental help for your phobia so you don't have to live like a hermit. After all, even if you successfully bar all pennies from your house, you never know if the person standing in line next to you at the bank might have some in their pockets.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Chas.
Hallelujah!

Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”