Moving to Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Moving to Texas

Post by RoyGBiv »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am One possible wrinkle. I am a Texas resident and have a Texas LTC. I also have an IL non-resident CCL. Illinois requires you to have a Texas LTC already to get the non-resident CCL. I'm not sure, but you may be required to have your TX LTC first, before IL will allow you to convert.
:roll:

The good news is that the OP can get a TX non-resident license right away (can file today if he's completed the class), and convert it easily to to a resident license when he moves here. Just a filing fee, but no waiting time for background checks and fingerprint search.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 7

Post by timdske »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 am
oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am One possible wrinkle. I am a Texas resident and have a Texas LTC. I also have an IL non-resident CCL. Illinois requires you to have a Texas LTC already to get the non-resident CCL. I'm not sure, but you may be required to have your TX LTC first, before IL will allow you to convert.

The good news is that the OP can get a TX non-resident license right away (can file today if he's completed the class), and convert it easily to to a resident license when he moves here. Just a filing fee, but no waiting time for background checks and fingerprint search.
Do you have to be in Texas for the class or can I take it in Illinois?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

timdske wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm

You have to take it from an instructor licensed by the State of Texas. The location is not specified, if I remember correctly.

I believe there are now some options for completing the classroom portion of the course online and then meeting with an instructor to do the shooting portion... I'm not at all familiar with this option as it's new in the past year.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

b4aftr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by b4aftr »

Welcome to the greatest state in America with parts of Colorado being close during the summer.

If you need anything you’d probably be able to find someone on this forum to help. Lot of great people with great info and resources here.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:46 pm
timdske wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm

You have to take it from an instructor licensed by the State of Texas. The location is not specified, if I remember correctly.

I believe there are now some options for completing the classroom portion of the course online and then meeting with an instructor to do the shooting portion... I'm not at all familiar with this option as it's new in the past year.
I don't believe there's a requirement for the online option to be conducted in Texas (in lieu of the classroom portion), but remember that the Range Proficiency Exam must be conducted in Texas by a Texas DPS certified Instructor (do a web search for Texas LTC & whatever city you plan to settle in, & you'll likely find several Instructors to choose from).

If you go the traditional Classroom w/ Range Proficiency route, both the classroom and range portions must be conducted in Texas.

Either way (traditional Classroom & Range Proficiency, or Online & Range Proficiency), you can still submit your application with the DPS prior to moving here, & even schedule your electronic fingerprints to be done at a FAST facility in Illinois (looks like Chicago may be the only one there per the Texas DPS website:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/administratio ... SubLoc.htm ).
Last edited by Mike S on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 7

Post by timdske »

Thank you everyone for the input. It's been super helpful.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”