CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 7

Moving to Texas

Post by timdske »

Hello,
I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to get answered. I've combed through the Texas LTC laws and I don't see any mention. I've noticed you need to be a resident for 6 months before applying for the permit. My wife and I currently have CCW permits from our current state with is accepted in Texas. When we become residents will our permits become null and void? Or Will we be able to use them until we qualify for a Texas permit? Thank you in advance.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Moving to Texas

Post by mojo84 »

I think you will need to contact your current state to have them change your license to a nonresident license and use that until you can apply and obtain a Texas resident license.

Welcome to the Great State of Texas and the forum.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by infoman »

There is no residency requirement at all. Anyone living anywhere in the U.S. can apply for a Texas LTC. (they just have to take class here)

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

infoman wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 am There is no residency requirement at all. Anyone living anywhere in the U.S. can apply for a Texas LTC. (they just have to take class here)
Really? I thought I saw in the laws you had to wait 6 months. I'm gling to have to look it up again.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

It is an old law and you need to understand Texas a little better. A lot of times, for political reasons, we do not repeal laws but amend another section to make it irrelevant.

So, Government Code 411.172 on eligibility says you need to be a resident for six months. But, in section 411.173 on non-resident licenses, is changes the rule to say anyone who moves here with the intent to become a resident can apply.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:12 pm It is an old law and you need to understand Texas a little better. A lot of times, for political reasons, we do not repeal laws but amend another section to make it irrelevant.

So, Government Code 411.172 on eligibility says you need to be a resident for six months. But, in section 411.173 on non-resident licenses, is changes the rule to say anyone who moves here with the intent to become a resident can apply.
This is good to know. Thank you. But I wonder if my CCW will be allowed in Texas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

timdske wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:05 pm
srothstein wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:12 pm It is an old law and you need to understand Texas a little better. A lot of times, for political reasons, we do not repeal laws but amend another section to make it irrelevant.

This is good to know. Thank you. But I wonder if my CCW will be allowed in Texas.
I think the key word is "move". Once you move, I suspect you'll need to convert your current state's resident license to a nonresident license because of state laws from where you are moving. Then, you'll need to apply for a resident Texas license once you move to Texas. That way you should be able to carry until you receive your Texas license.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

It depends on what state you are coming from and if they offer non-resident permits and will convert yours. Most states have a grace period, like 30 days to notify them of the address change. Once you establish residency the clock will start.

If we know what state you are coming from we may be able to provide more info.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

Keith B wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

It depends on what state you are coming from and if they offer non-resident permits and will convert yours. Most states have a grace period, like 30 days to notify them of the address change. Once you establish residency the clock will start.

If we know what state you are coming from we may be able to provide more info.
Illinois, I know Texas is 1 of 4 states Illinois allows non-residents to get a permit.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

HI! I just wanted to say "welcome", the guys are giving you good info
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

timdske wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 pm
Illinois, I know Texas is 1 of 4 states Illinois allows non-residents to get a permit.
Yes, it is. You will need to contact the state of Illinois and see how to convert your permit to a non-resident and you would be good to go. The only thing to remember is there are restrictions with a non-resident permit that you don't get, like the federal Gun Free School Zone exemption and NICS check bypass when purchasing a firearm in Texas. However, you don't have to deal with those silly FOID restrictions in Texas at least. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

Keith B wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:53 am
timdske wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 pm
Yes, it is. You will need to contact the state of Illinois and see how to convert your permit to a non-resident and you would be good to go. The only thing to remember is there are restrictions with a non-resident permit that you don't get, like the federal Gun Free School Zone exemption and NICS check bypass when purchasing a firearm in Texas. However, you don't have to deal with those silly FOID restrictions in Texas at least. ;-)
Great info, thank you. What we'll do, is immediately get signed up for a Texas permit. So hopefully it'll be a short time on an Illinois permit.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

IF..... IL will convert your license to a NON-RESIDENT IL license when you move, then, TX will recognize it. There is some discussion about whether TX will recognize an IL RESIDENT license if you are no longer actually residing in IL, as evidenced by having a TX drivers license. I believe, TX will NOT recognize an IL RESIDENT license if you do not currently live in IL, but, I do not know this for certain, just based on second hand information. I would not risk it. But, again, if you have an IL NON_RESIDENT carry license and a TX drivers license, I believe you are good to go here.

Regarding the waiting period... That was changed several years ago... here is the relevant language from TX GC 411.177 on page 7 of the document linked below.

Bottom line, just like there is no waiting period for a non-resident license, there is also no waiting period for a resident license if you are moving to TX and intend to establish residency.... Emphasis added to the quote below, for clarification...

https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms ... LTC-16.pdf (link opens PDF)
GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE
(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who
meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency
requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under
this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person
relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state
. The
procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the
average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and
investigation on a nonresident applicant.
NOTE: I am not a lawyer, this is my OPINION, not legal advice.
I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Free America! :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Welcome to the forum, and the greatest place on Earth! :txflag:
(Don't mind the heat, you get used to it.)
NRA Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

One possible wrinkle. I am a Texas resident and have a Texas LTC. I also have an IL non-resident CCL. Illinois requires you to have a Texas LTC already to get the non-resident CCL. I'm not sure, but you may be required to have your TX LTC first, before IL will allow you to convert.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”