Yelp* reviews for businesses that post 30.06 and/or 30.07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Yelp* reviews for businesses that post 30.06 and/or 30.07

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Venus Pax wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:58 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm Just make sure that whatever you post is factually correct. A woman is being sued for $1m after leaving a bad review.

http://www.wafb.com/story/38305415/woma ... elp-review
On one hand, that's scary. On the other hand, I doubt we're reading the full story.

A review is usually simply your impression of the business. I think if you stick to the facts and convey whether or not you were happy or unhappy based on these facts, I don't see a strong liklihood for being sued.

(I leave reviews. Usually, they are nice reviews, but I have no problem calling a spade a spade either.)
I agree that you should be fine as long as you stick to the facts. And if necessary, have support for your facts. That said, you can be sued for anything and if the business has deeper pockets than you have, they can make your life a bit uncomfortable before you ultimately prevail.

Also, alot of these review sites tend to be in the pocket of the companies being reviewed. I'm not sure about Yelp, but Tripadvisor just sent me an email notifying me that they deleted a review I posted a year ago on a Vegas hotel (Caesar's Palace) because that hotel had recently undergone a "major renovation". Caesars has been in bankruptcy for many years now, so I question how much free cash they had to completely renovate their place, but more importantly, why not leave up the old reviews alongside newer reviews that will presumably rave about how great the renovated facilities are? Seems a bit fishy to me personally.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

There are a lot of stories of Yelp basically running extortion rackets against smaller businesses. I don't use their site because of that and the generally slimy feeling that I have when activists use it to try and destroy somebody's business over something that has absolutely nothing to do with that business. The lion hunting dentist in Minnesota being a prime example of that. Though I am but one person, I do not want to enable a platform such as that.
Psalm 91:2

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

My take on a tactic like using Yelp is that there is more potential to hurt than help.

For those of us who care about signs, we have 3006, word of mouth and our eyes to see. We can talk to owners or mail companies if we want.

A potential unintended consiquence of using something like yelp i think serves more to educate non-CHL'ers on the signs and encourages them to use forums like yelp and other review sites for the opposite purpose, to boycot, put public pressure to put up signs.

Just my opinion but I think this tactic has more potential to hurt than help.

Allons

Post by Allons »

jerry_r60 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:38 pm My take on a tactic like using Yelp is that there is more potential to hurt than help.

For those of us who care about signs, we have 3006, word of mouth and our eyes to see. We can talk to owners or mail companies if we want.

A potential unintended consiquence of using something like yelp i think serves more to educate non-CHL'ers on the signs and encourages them to use forums like yelp and other review sites for the opposite purpose, to boycot, put public pressure to put up signs.

Just my opinion but I think this tactic has more potential to hurt than help.
:iagree: The last thing we need is for people seeing reviews on yelp about gun signs then start requesting other places to post signs that don't have them.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”