Gun for a new shooter

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Medley86
Posts in topic: 6

Gun for a new shooter

Post by Medley86 »

My SO has been thinking about learning to shoot a pistol and getting her ltc, however she is scared of recoil. She is comfortable with rifles but not pistols. I have a 22 she can practice with but for a next step all mine have too much recoil for her. I have a 1911 45, XDm 4.5 40, and LCP. I'm considering buying a 9mm for her to practice with but unsure if something like a xdm 3.8 compact, 3.8 full size, or a xds would be a better bet. Anyone have any ideas?
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Bill O'Rights
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun for a new shooter

Post by Bill O'Rights »

Heavier guns have less felt recoil, all other things being equal, but they require more strength to hold steady. Maybe shoot a 1911 off sandbags?

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

Maybe take her to a range where 5she can shoot different pistols and different calibers, maybe she'll find one she likes!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:50 pm Maybe take her to a range where 5she can shoot different pistols and different calibers, maybe she'll find one she likes!
That would be great if there was a range anywhere close to where we live. Small town so it would be a couple hour drive to a real range.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Any friends or family with different caliber guns? Borrow from them, try .32, 380, 9mm, 38, Etc....
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:07 pm Any friends or family with different caliber guns? Borrow from them, try .32, 380, 9mm, 38, Etc....
That might be an option, have to ask around to see who has what. My original plan was to use my 1911 since the recoil isn't too bad, but I shot it some last weekend for the first time in a couple of years and was getting some pretty good hammer bite. I think she would as well so that wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My humble opinion, a 1911 isn't a good choice for a new shooter, they should get use to the recoil from a lighter round, then graduate to something heavier! But you know the person your teaching so I place that in your hands!

LadyShooter

Post by LadyShooter »

I highly recommend a SW M&P Shield EZ. I just qualified for my Texas LTC with it. As a small woman, it is easy on recoil, easy to rack and easy to strip and clean. Low in price, too.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Almost any 9MM compact to full size should feel like soft shooter to her. A CZ Berretta, or Glock have lots of options. 9MMS 1911s are pretty soft shooters.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I taught a lot of female soldiers to shoot for the military.
Hundreds. Lots of conversations. It's probably not a fear of recoil. It's the noise and fear of not having grip strength to not drop the gun. They think they're going to have the same trouble they had racking the slide. They feel like the pistol is in their face. I asked them.

Try double hearing protection and starting off with one round in the gun until confidence is gained.

Topic author
Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:31 pm My humble opinion, a 1911 isn't a good choice for a new shooter, they should get use to the recoil from a lighter round, then graduate to something heavier! But you know the person your teaching so I place that in your hands!
The 1911 wasn't really what I would want to use, but I do think it is the softest shooting "real" caliber I have. The LCP even I don't like shooting and the 40 is a little snappy for a new shooter.

Topic author
Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

LadyShooter wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:33 pm I highly recommend a SW M&P Shield EZ. I just qualified for my Texas LTC with it. As a small woman, it is easy on recoil, easy to rack and easy to strip and clean. Low in price, too.
I considered this option, i would imagine they are great to shoot.

Topic author
Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Liberty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:35 pm Almost any 9MM compact to full size should feel like soft shooter to her. A CZ Berretta, or Glock have lots of options. 9MMS 1911s are pretty soft shooters.
The only small 9 I have any experience with was an original lc9. That thing had crazy muzzle flip, but I think if I could ever get her confidence up she could handle a 44 mag of i put it in her hands.

rotor

Post by rotor »

OlBill wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:52 pm I taught a lot of female soldiers to shoot for the military.
Hundreds. Lots of conversations. It's probably not a fear of recoil. It's the noise and fear of not having grip strength to not drop the gun. They think they're going to have the same trouble they had racking the slide. They feel like the pistol is in their face. I asked them.

Try double hearing protection and starting off with one round in the gun until confidence is gained.
Very good idea with double hearing protection. Also consider just having one round and not a full mag to see how it goes.
Best choice is...
An automatic over a revolver
Heavier gun over a lighter gun for any given cartridge.

This is not nuclear science, just plain old physics.

A small cartridge like a .380 in a mini-gun is snappier than a 9mm in a heavier gun so don't go by cartridge alone.

My wife took her LTC using a big Beretta 92FS and now easily shoots anything.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

6 inch 357 loaded with 38 special...

Low recoil, No slide to worry about. And let her name it... When my wife names one of my guns they become her friend...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”