Purchasing question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
squirrelmaster9
Posts in topic: 13

Purchasing question

Post by squirrelmaster9 »

I was going to buy my glock 19 this weekend but i emailed dps asking whats going on and was told a letter was mailed requesting fuether info on a arrest.

My question is will i be able to purchase my gun before sending in the info? The fact i wasnt flat out denied mean ill atleast pass the nics check? I believe its from a miss understanding from when my neighbor lent me his bicycle and his mother thought i stole it and called the police.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Purchasing question

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Based on your message, I presume you have applied for your LTC and that DPS is requesting more information. Though I am unclear on the details of your situation, if you are asking whether you can own a gun before acquiring your LTC the answer is yes. There is no requirement to first have an LTC before owning a firearm in Texas. Whether you pass the NICS check or not to be able to buy a gun from a vendor is up to what the records show in NICS. NICS is part of the background checks for LTC. Applying for your LTC does not impact the records held in NICS.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

In Texas the LTC (license to carry) is not required to purchase a weapon.

As to if you are a prohibited possessor and will fail the background check only the NICS people can answer that.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

Yes its for the ltc permit. Just asking since i didnt flat out get deined for ltc im assuming this dumb arrest 18 years ago shouldn't hurt my nics check.

Bill O'Rights

Post by Bill O'Rights »

If you were arrested for robbing a bank 18 years ago and the charges were dropped, DPS needs documentation.

If you were arrested for stealing a bicycle 18 years ago and convicted of a B misdemeanor, DPS needs documentation.

Neither should affect a NICS check.

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

I requested info from the court but i wasnt even arrested. I was just asked to come down to the police station a note was left on my door. The bicycle was even inside the kids house when the mother called.

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

Well i went to my local academy sport and went for a glock 19 that was on sale. I got a delay :( they told me it could take up to 30 days as per store policy.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Better get that paperwork for DPS.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Allons
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Allons »

If this happened in Texas, you can run a DPS criminal background check to see if it shows up. Someone else's record could be on your report, accidents do happen. You can run a records search, for a couple of dollars, and it will show any arrest that is on your record. You can look under resolving Criminal History Errors to see how to dispute errors on your record. Here is the link: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DpsWe ... alHistory/
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

Allons wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm If this happened in Texas, you can run a DPS criminal background check to see if it shows up. Someone else's record could be on your report, accidents do happen. You can run a records search, for a couple of dollars, and it will show any arrest that is on your record. You can look under resolving Criminal History Errors to see how to dispute errors on your record. Here is the link: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DpsWe ... alHistory/
Just did it and got nothing. Zero matches. I lived in tx till i was in middle school then moved to nj. Lived in nj for 22 years. I just moved back to tx 6 months ago.

Allons

Post by Allons »

squirrelmaster9 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 pm
Allons wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm If this happened in Texas, you can run a DPS criminal background check to see if it shows up. Someone else's record could be on your report, accidents do happen. You can run a records search, for a couple of dollars, and it will show any arrest that is on your record. You can look under resolving Criminal History Errors to see how to dispute errors on your record. Here is the link: https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DpsWe ... alHistory/
Just did it and got nothing. Zero matches. I lived in tx till i was in middle school then moved to nj. Lived in nj for 22 years. I just moved back to tx 6 months ago.
No idea now... I guess you're gonna have to wait on that paperwork or Academy to call you back. Please keep us updated so this information might be able to help someone in the future.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

Allons wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm
No idea now... I guess you're gonna have to wait on that paperwork or Academy to call you back. Please keep us updated so this information might be able to help someone in the future.
Will do. Dps mailed me a letter june 14th according to a email. Any idea how long it will take to recieve? Im in el paso.

Allons

Post by Allons »

squirrelmaster9 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Will do. Dps mailed me a letter june 14th according to a email. Any idea how long it will take to recieve? Im in el paso.
I would think it should be there tomorrow or next day, if they mailed it on the 14th.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
squirrelmaster9

Allons wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:14 pm
I would think it should be there tomorrow or next day, if they mailed it on the 14th.
Ok i got the letter rhey need info on that arrest but its a disorderly person/ improper behavior arrest
I yelled at the lady i didnt steal the buke lol i think thats what it was for

Allons

Post by Allons »

squirrelmaster9 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 pm
Allons wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:14 pm
Ok i got the letter rhey need info on that arrest but its a disorderly person/ improper behavior arrest
I yelled at the lady i didnt steal the buke lol i think thats what it was for
I don't think that would stop a background check to buy a gun though, maybe someone else will weigh in on that.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”