We had a house fire; address question.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 1

We had a house fire; address question.

Post by LucasMcCain »

So we had a house fire about three weeks ago. My wife and I got out okay, and a fair amount of our stuff can be saved. Insurance is doing a pretty good job of taking care of us so far. Our friends and family have really rallied around us to help us out. God has shown His faithfulness to us every step of the way.

However, a question occurred to me this morning. We won't be able to live in our house for 5-7 months. During that time, the insurance is paying for an apartment for us to live in. Do I need to notify DPS of that address, and get it changed on my license? It's just temporary, and my house is still my house; I'm just not living there for a bit. I read the relevant section of the penal code, and it makes no mention of temporary address changes or anything.

I've never been through anything like this before, and it's a pretty steep learning curve. Any help y'all can give will be appreciated.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Flightmare

Re: We had a house fire; address question.

Post by Flightmare »

I would argue that your house is still your residence, even if you do not reside there for the moment. You still collect your mail there, you likely still have a homestead exemption on it. It is currently uninhabitable right now. Once that is corrected, you plan to resume occupying it. However, IANAL.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Scott B.

Re: We had a house fire; address question.

Post by Scott B. »

It's still your primary residence. If you buy a gun in the interim, you might need to list the apartment as your secondary address on the 4473.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”