Questions on eligibility

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Questions on eligibility

Post by Odinvalknir »

So I have my CHL and it has prompted a friend of mine to attempt to get his. The only issue he is worried about is apparently he was diagnosed as bipolar when he was a minor. He is 27 years old now, and never read diagnosed as an adult. I know there are eligibility disqualifiers for a diagnosis of bipolar but not sure if his diagnosis when he was a minor will stop him from qualifying. Does anybody have any insight on this? We have read and reread the eligibility requirements and list over and over again does not seem to go into much detail.

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Questions on eligibility

Post by Odinvalknir »

He also says he has a letter from the physician that diagnosed him saying there was no need for treatment.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

Odinvalknir wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:50 pm He also says he has a letter from the physician that diagnosed him saying there was no need for treatment.
In that case, I think it's worth a shot for him to apply and disclose the diagnosis and upload a copy of the letter.
Notwithstanding Subsection (d), a person who has previously been diagnosed as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subsection (d) or listed in Subsection (e) is not because of that disorder or condition incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun if the person provides the department with a certificate from a licensed physician whose primary practice is in the field of psychiatry stating that the psychiatric disorder or condition is in remission and is not reasonably likely to develop at a future time.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

texaslavender
Posts in topic: 1

Post by texaslavender »

I have a family member who is bipolar and on daily medication. He's talking about getting his CHL and he's the type to lie on his application to do so. This person has no business whatsoever carrying. If this happens, what is my recourse? I hate to do this, but I fear if someone gets in his path on the wrong day, he'll snap. Thank you...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”