The Alamo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

The Alamo

Post by Venus Pax »

Is the Alamo posted, or do you have to get searched or go through metal detectors?
Trying to figure out if I can carry there.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Alamo

Post by Lena »

Last time there I think it was 06 posted. Not positive, almost thinking they had several postings there in many locations.
Stay Safe

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I believe it is owned by the State and is not off limits.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

I have been through the Alamo several times, as late as last September, and there was no prohibition on licensed carry. No metal detectors either. But do take your hat off.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Keith B wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 am I believe it is owned by the State and is not off limits.
I got curious as to not only the exact ownership of the Alamo, but who operates it, since the Leg left a loophole in the Fines-for-Signs law that lets non-governmental renters of government property put up 30.06/30.07 signs.

Per Wikipedia, in 1883 the Catholic Church sold the Alamo to the State of Texas for $20,000. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas formed in 1892 with a major purpose being restoring the Alamo. In 2011 the Legislature passed a law transferring custodianship of the Alamo to the General Land Office, a state agency. The actual transfer was accomplished in 2015, and the Commissioner of the GLO, George P. Bush, announced that his office would take charge of daily operations at the Alamo. There is a non-profit association, the Alamo Endowment Board, chaired by George P. Bush that " assists the General Land Office in the preservation, management, education, maintenance, operation and restoration of the Alamo Complex." But as far as I know it focuses on fundraising and the "master plan," not daily operations.

Whoops, says right on its website that it is operated by the Alamo Complex Management, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. But I still don't think it is posted.
Last edited by ELB on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Thanks so much for the replies.
About to leave.
I didn't want to leave the gun in the truck since truck break-ins are so common in SA, but I also didn't want to be without it.

And I'll make sure everyone removed hats.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Ah, it also says on its website:

"No unauthorized weapons are allowed. Legal firearm carry allowed with state issued permit."

I didn't see it initially because this is under the "Rules of Reverence" tab, not under "FAQ". http://www.thealamo.org/visit/grounds/rules/index.html
USAF 1982-2005

striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Post by striker55 »

Last time I was there I was asked by a policeman if I had a license to carry. I was concealed and asked if carrying wasn't allowed, I hadn't seen any signs. He said it's fine if you have a license, I asked how he knew I was carrying. He said he's been doing it long enough to notice, I showed him my license and he said have a nice day. I was carrying my 1911 full size.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

striker55 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am Last time I was there I was asked by a policeman if I had a license to carry. I was concealed and asked if carrying wasn't allowed, I hadn't seen any signs. He said it's fine if you have a license, I asked how he knew I was carrying. He said he's been doing it long enough to notice, I showed him my license and he said have a nice day. I was carrying my 1911 full size.
Interesting. Do you wear attire that is obviously covering up your CCW or maybe there's a bulge? Just curious how he has such an astute discernment for ferreting out LTC's. Or maybe he should be a charter member of the Minority Report police squad. :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

striker55

Post by striker55 »

puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 pm
striker55 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am Last time I was there I was asked by a policeman if I had a license to carry. I was concealed and asked if carrying wasn't allowed, I hadn't seen any signs. He said it's fine if you have a license, I asked how he knew I was carrying. He said he's been doing it long enough to notice, I showed him my license and he said have a nice day. I was carrying my 1911 full size.
Interesting. Do you wear attire that is obviously covering up your CCW or maybe there's a bulge? Just curious how he has such an astute discernment for ferreting out LTC's. Or maybe he should be a charter member of the Minority Report police squad. :shock:
I wear a loose fitting shirt over my pants, I always shop for shirts that cover. This was before open carry.
Last edited by striker55 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

striker55 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 pm
[/qu

I wear a loose fitting shirt over my pants, I always shop for shirts that cover. This was before open carry.
so maybe he just assumes anyone wearing loose fitting shirts is potentially armed? :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Thanks for replies. I carried and saw no signs.
We parked at the River Center Mall. There was a 30.07 sign at the entrance to the parking garage, but no 30.06 signage.
Honestly, the parking garage is where I would be most concerned.

My daughter will begin 4th grade this fall, and Texas history is taught in social studies. I wanted her to see the Alamo so that she would be able to attach the lesson to something tangible when they start that unit. She was very interested and seemed to get a lot out of it for her age.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Venus Pax wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 pmMy daughter will begin 4th grade this fall, and Texas history is taught in social studies. I wanted her to see the Alamo so that she would be able to attach the lesson to something tangible when they start that unit. She was very interested and seemed to get a lot out of it for her age.
:thumbs2:

Here's something else to think about, for you and other parents of 4th graders. The government offers a free annual park pass for 4th graders, good for the school year Sep-Aug. It covers the same places as the America the Beautiful pass, so more than just National Parks. You get free admission but extras cost extra.

https://www.everykidinapark.gov/
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm glad you posted that. Although we won't be visiting any national parks this year, I'm glad you posted so other families wanting to plan trips will have this.
It's quite a savings for a family.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”