Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Do you have a nonresident license to carry from another state?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 am

No. Just Texas.
38
60%
Yes. One other state.
18
29%
Yes. More than one other state.
7
11%
 
Total votes: 63

User avatar

Topic author
Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#1

Post by Lynyrd » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am

How many of us have obtained a nonresident out of state license? If you do, please comment on why you felt the need and which state(s) you decided to get. Maybe it was because you travel on the job, or maybe because of personal travel. I have family in New England and am considering some nonresident options. But in that part of the country the options are very limited.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3533
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#2

Post by oljames3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

Lynyrd wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am
How many of us have obtained a nonresident out of state license? If you do, please comment on why you felt the need and which state(s) you decided to get. Maybe it was because you travel on the job, or maybe because of personal travel. I have family in New England and am considering some nonresident options. But in that part of the country the options are very limited.
No need. My Texas LTC is good everywhere I want to go.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8087
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#3

Post by RoyGBiv » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am

Processing delays, rule changes, lost my wallet, lost in the mail.... Always good to have a backup that doesn't expire at the same time.

Originally had FL for it's wide acceptance. (now moot)
Changed to AZ for it's inclusion of NV (now moot too).
Would like to get IL so I can feel good about traveling to Chicago.
Would be nice to have a license that was accepted in DC, WA and OR (not holding my breath for CA or NY), for business and personal travel.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

Soldev
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#4

Post by Soldev » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am

I have the permits from Texas, Utah, Arizona, Florida & Virginia
I got the last 4 prior to moving to Texas.
My Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit allows me to carry in Maine
My Utah Concealed Firearm Permit allows me to carry in Washington State.
I will probably let the Florida and Virginia Permits lapse when it is renewal time.
Last edited by Soldev on Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas License To Carry Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Benefactor Life Member


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#5

Post by apostate » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:14 am

I got a Utah license to carry in WA. In fact, I just paid a whopping $15.75 to renew it, given my plans to visit several National Parks later this year and into next year.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6241
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#6

Post by Liberty » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 am

Soldev wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am
I have the permits from Texas, Utah, Arizona, Florida & Virginia
I got the last 4 prior to moving to Texas.
My Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit allows me to carry in Maine
My Utah Concealed Firearm Permit allows me to carry in Washington State.
I will probably let the Florida and Virginia Permits lapse when it is renewal time.
Maine is now constitutional carry.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Soldev
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#7

Post by Soldev » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

Liberty wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 am
Maine is now constitutional carry.
Thanks for the heads up, that makes 3 I won't have to renew
Texas License To Carry Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Benefactor Life Member


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#8

Post by OneGun » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 am

I have a non-resident permit for Illannoy because I have family in the Chicago area that I visit each year. I am one of 57 people with a non-resident Illannoy permit.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

User avatar

txglock21
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am
Location: Garland, TX.

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#9

Post by txglock21 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:22 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am
Lynyrd wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am
How many of us have obtained a nonresident out of state license? If you do, please comment on why you felt the need and which state(s) you decided to get. Maybe it was because you travel on the job, or maybe because of personal travel. I have family in New England and am considering some nonresident options. But in that part of the country the options are very limited.
No need. My Texas LTC is good everywhere I want to go.
:iagree: THIS.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4704
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#10

Post by ScottDLS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:46 pm

CT, AZ, NH, VA, and working on District of Columbia... I collect them... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

chamberc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#11

Post by chamberc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:49 pm

I only carry in Ohio, Arkansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Florida and Tennessee, so I stay covered nowadays (Ohio was the last hold out a few years ago).
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#12

Post by BBYC » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Arizona. It's good everywhere I want to go.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

User avatar

Allons
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2027
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#13

Post by Allons » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 pm

BBYC wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 pm
Arizona. It's good everywhere I want to go.
+1 on Arizona
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P01, CZ-P07, MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#14

Post by oohrah » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:49 pm

OneGun wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 am
I have a non-resident permit for Illannoy because I have family in the Chicago area that I visit each year. I am one of 57 people with a non-resident Illannoy permit.
Me too - same reason. (Unfortunately, she just got transferred to NJ <sigh>).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

#15

Post by Richbirdhunter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 pm

I’ve had my Utah CCW for almost 20 years. When I moved to Texas I got that too.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”