Saw another carrying, and felt very uncomfortable...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Saw another carrying, and felt very uncomfortable...

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:46 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 pm
Scott in Houston wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm If you could see the butt of the gun, and it wasn't being carried in a belt or shoulder holster, then he was not legally carrying.
Well, it was not an open carry.
I am 99% sure it would have to be intentional for it to break the law.

This was more of an accidental exposure, which we all know is not illegal.
Got it. My confusion was when you said "I could see the butt fairly easily". If part of the gun can be seen "fairly easily" then I'm not sure it is a valid excuse to say that one really really meant to conceal the gun.

Yeah... I guess that sounded confusing. It was fairly easy for me to spot, because I was scanning him up and down as I knew he was carrying.
I guarantee you nobody else would ever see it, and those who might, probably wouldn't know what they were looking at.
This reminds me of the catch 22 for places that only post a 30.06 and no 30.07 sign. If a LTC holder is cited for a violation because someone saw their gun, then were they really concealing? Probably a case for the jury to decide, just as soon as the prosecutors office can prioritize resources to prosecute in the hope of getting their $200 fine!

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

BBYC wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm
Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 am
loktite wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am Maybe someone extremely new to carrying who hasn't soaked in good advice yet. How old? mid 20's - early 30's?
No. 50's, but he also appeared to be foreign born... either Spain or South America, so maybe new to it here in Texas.
Somebody should tell him in Americs it's not polite to play with your Glock in public.
That is true, and can be very embarrassing when your Glock is in your pocket. I am aware of an incident where an off duty LEO had a Glock in his pocket and had an ND in the checkout line at Walmart. Shot himself in the leg and left in an ambulance. Wasn't a bad wound and he recovered, but he never lived the story down.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Most communication between people is non-verbal. His body language and appearance did not fit. I would have been nervous as well. Someone handling or touching their gun in public and not at a range would make my spidey sense go off.

It also gives ammo to the anti-2A people to complain.

He was looking for attention and got yours. Maybe he wanted some sort of confrontation.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

No. 50's, but he also appeared to be foreign born... either Spain or South America, so maybe new to it here in Texas.
How does one identify someone who is foreign born by their appearance? :confused5

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott in Houston »

OneGun wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:34 pm Most communication between people is non-verbal. His body language and appearance did not fit. I would have been nervous as well. Someone handling or touching their gun in public and not at a range would make my spidey sense go off.

It also gives ammo to the anti-2A people to complain.

He was looking for attention and got yours. Maybe he wanted some sort of confrontation.
Yeah. I stayed clear of any interaction with him. I could tell the employees found him odd. I stayed at the back of the line and just watched him intently.

I don’t think he had any idea that I was watching him.
I was debating whether to leave or not but didn’t feel right leaving so just watched.

After he left, the employees were passing looks to each other and rolling their eyes about him. Very odd.

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott in Houston »

G26ster wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm

How does one identify someone who is foreign born by their appearance? :confused5
“Appearance” is whole package including accent.
Also his hat and eye glasses were very “Euro” looking.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

I was advised (a time in the past) when going to Europe to not wear 'white tennis shoes' and other American type clothing.

Why?

At the time, Americans in general were not in favor in Europe.

So, for those of you getting all pc about spotting 'foreigners' is not new, but your pc-nis needs reworking....it happens to all, depending on the circumstances...

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Abraham. if your post was directed at me, it has nothing to do with pc-nis. The op did not say the man uttered a word, so my interpretation of "appearance" was based on visuals, hence my question. The op answed and clarified. If you were judging my children and granddaughter by looks to determine if they were foreign born, you'd be right in two cases, and wrong in one case. How someone looks is not a reliable determination of whether someone is native to the country they are in. That includes wearing white tennis shoes :mrgreen: Besides, I'm your elder so I'm right :biggrinjester:

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I would just give folks like that space and know where the exits are! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Has anybody heard from Handog?

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

:lol::
the die is cast

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Deltaboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm I would just give folks like that space and know where the exits are! :tiphat:
Yep, I agree. I’ve run across many more people at the range I didn’t feel comfortable around than I ever have in public.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

<deleted>
Last edited by Odinvalknir on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Probably a good idea to leave/report or both. If he wasn't using a holster odds are 90% it was UCW.

As a side note on 5.11:
5.11 Tactical started in Modesto, California as a clothing line created by mountain climber Royal Robbins. Upon reaching the top of a climb in Yosemite California, he noticed that the trousers that he was wearing were not suited for climbing. Robbins decided that he needed to design something more durable and with better functionality. He owned a boot and clothing company and began manufacturing pants by the name of "5.11" that had a trademarked tactical strap and slash pocket design in 1968.

The name “5.11” comes from the highest rock climbing difficulty level that was listed in the Yosemite Decimal System at Yosemite National Park, which was developed by Robbins in the 1950s.[5] The difficulty level is somewhat jokingly defined as, “After thorough inspection, you conclude this move is obviously impossible; however, occasionally someone actually accomplishes it".
link

5.11 may be a "tell" but they are designed for more than just "tactical" stuff. They still work great for climbing too.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

G26ster wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm

This whole story is suspect.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”