Selling to a non LTC holder

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm
carlson1 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
Carl, I would not even ask you to stand on your head if your wanted to buy a gun from me.

:biggrinjester:
Yea you know my head isn’t that flat. :smilelol5:

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
Attachments
billofsale.pdf
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
The law does not require I get a copy of a DL on a private sale. So I don't. In addition, I don't have to prove my innocence. The law is required to prove my guilt. Like I have said a couple times. I believe in constitutional RKBA. I won't add additional restrictions to that right beyond what is law. I don't believe it is a privilege to own a firearm so I refuse to act like one must be in some special category that I dream up.

I obey the law and use good judgement.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Richbirdhunter »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.

Thank you!!
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

03Lightningrocks

Richbirdhunter wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm
carlson1 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.

Thank you!!
I bet you didn't know what you were getting started here. :biggrinjester: I have been through about a dozen of this thread since joining this forum and I think I have most of the replies memorized. As usual, carlson gives the correct answer once again. :fire

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
IBTL!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
IBTL!
Yeah, me too. :biggrinjester:

NNT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NNT »

I'm not giving my personal info to a stranger. The reason I buy private is no paper trail. If they want LTC I'll show my pic and exp date, but block address, number, etc.
Just like ccw insurance ( may as well add gas to a hot topic), are there documented cases someone bought a stolen gun innocently and got busted, or someone sold a gun with no BOS that was later used in a crime and was unable to walk a jury back?

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

Something to think about: A friend of mine in Arkansas sold or traded a handgun to a dealer at a gun show. A few years later, the BATF rang his doorbell and asked him if he ever owned that handgun. He told them he got a receipt when he sold it. After showing them the receipt, he asked, "is there a problem?" They told him the handgun was used in a murder in a northern state. They thanked him, and went on their way. I always get a bill of sale/receipt and ask for I.D. whenever I buy/sell a gun of any kind, because it might save my bacon someday.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

SIGFan43 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am Something to think about: A friend of mine in Arkansas sold or traded a handgun to a dealer at a gun show. A few years later, the BATF rang his doorbell and asked him if he ever owned that handgun. He told them he got a receipt when he sold it. After showing them the receipt, he asked, "is there a problem?" They told him the handgun was used in a murder in a northern state. They thanked him, and went on their way. I always get a bill of sale/receipt and ask for I.D. whenever I buy/sell a gun of any kind, because it might save my bacon someday.
Let’s suppose he had no receipt, what would have happened? Would they arrest him on the spot for that crime in the northern state? No, they would need something linking him to that crime and simply being a previous owner of the firearm would not necessarily link him to it. As an FFL I get those trace requests and I know people who had no proof of who they sold to. Guess what? Not one of the people from the four traces I think of off the top of my head have gotten into any trouble over it. Yes, I’m sure there are a very small percentage of times where it could help but I think that would be rare.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Because it's impossible to make a fake bill of sale if you use one of your guns to commit murder in another state.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
The law does not require I get a copy of a DL on a private sale. So I don't. In addition, I don't have to prove my innocence. The law is required to prove my guilt. Like I have said a couple times. I believe in constitutional RKBA. I won't add additional restrictions to that right beyond what is law. I don't believe it is a privilege to own a firearm so I refuse to act like one must be in some special category that I dream up.

I obey the law and use good judgement.
:iagree: That sounds like a plan to me.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Thank you
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
depends on what gun theyre selling and for how much! :mrgreen:
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”