Friend with Alzheimer's

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Friend with Alzheimer's

Post by Pawpaw »

Dreamer42 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks so much for the replies. I greatly appreciate all of the wise and honest answers. It's one of those decisions we know we need her to take for his benefit as well as the safety of everyone else. All of his guns are in a safe, and he already has difficulty opening it. We just need to break it to him gently. He's a sweet man, retired educator, and even now understands when things are explained logically and simply. Thanks again.
Here''s a thought for you: If the safe has a S&G mechanical lock, then it also has a key lock in the knob. All that lock does (but important for your situation) is to prevent the knob from being turned.

If you can find the key, the safe can be locked & then use the key so he can't get in it.

You have my sympathy because I know what you're going through. My father suffered from Senile Dementia (kissing cousin to Alzheimer's) and Parkinson's. Near the end, he thought I was his brother.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

My father in law is 80 and showing signs of dimentia, not as severe as Alzheimer’s but he has “moments.” We had an incident with him a while back and I had to set some ground rules. It was difficult speaking to him about this; it felt disrespectful but having children involved, I didn’t think I had a choice.

The members of this forum gave me a lot of support in this matter and it was then I realized that this place was much more than a just gun forum.

Not sure if my situation can give you any insight as I understand that Alzheimer’s is a whole different level but here is the link in case you wanted to read it.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=72627
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for Wisdom to handle this many Sr adults react poorly to losing their guns or cars. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”