Dog Show = Sporting Event?????

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Dog Show = Sporting Event?????

Post by canvasbck »

My wife and I started showing our dogs this year and I've been carrying under the assumption that it is NOT a sporting event. Many dogs are handled by professional handlers, so if it is a sporting event, then adding the word professional isn't a stretch.

Since we will be in Art Acevedo's playground for the Houston Dog Show, I wanted to get some opinions on the matter. I don't want to break any laws, but I hate being in Houston unarmed.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dog Show = Sporting Event?????

Post by Scott Farkus »

Hmmm... I never thought of it that way. I don't know what the legal definition of "sporting event" is, but I suppose an argument can be made that a dog show is a competition, but it's not what I'd normally consider a "sport". And as you say the winners get money and handlers get paid, so it could easily be considered "professional".

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if a dog show is a sporting event then so is a beauty pageant. Another reason we need to just get rid of all these idiotic statutory off-limit laws and be done with it.

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

It gets even more convoluted when you consider everything that will be going on inside the building at NRG center.

Confirmation show - Professional handlers involved (about 20% of the handlers are pros getting paid)
Obedience - Probably going to be a few professional handlers
Rally - May be professional handlers, but most likely amateur handlers
Don't know the name of it, but dancing with a dog to music - unknown if any professional handlers
Frisby competition - likely no professional handlers
Flyball - No professional handlers

Flyball could easily be considered a sport, but there are no pros participating (unless you count the dogs getting treats for performance). The events that have pros involved don't seem (to me) to be sports, but there are events that would be considered a sport.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

For lack of a better answer, I looked it up. No definitive answer but most sites say yes it is a sport.
Seeing that it will be in Art Acevedos back yard, and at the NRG (I assume that is the show you are referring to) they will probably have metal detectors and claim it to be a professional sporting event anyway. I would probably leave it locked in the car or hotel at least for the 1st day.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

If the outcome is decided by a judge it is a contest or pageant. Sports have definite outcomes either by time or scoring points.

At least that's my thoughts.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Slightly off topic, sorry.
Do you know of any shows comming up in the ft worth area.
I've thought about showing my airedale.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

For it to be a "professional sporting event", wouldn't the dogs have to get paid? :tiphat:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”