BACK POCKET CARRY

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

BACK POCKET CARRY

Post by montgomery »

Topic has come up in several recent threads: back pocket carry.

Is this "a thing"? Is this a sticky holster situation or just a grab and go like a wallet?

Odinvalknir

Re: BACK POCKET CARRY

Post by Odinvalknir »

I suppose whatever is comfortable for the person doing so. Just like people who carry in their front pockets and use a small pocket holster, why is using the back pocket any different? Obviously if you're ok with sitting on the thick piece of metal, or putting it in and taking it out each time you stand or sit.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I know a few people that carry that way and sometimes at the house when the doorbell goes off, the Husky in the back yard, I will put my P938 in my back pocket when I investigate. However I wouldn’t choose to carry that way out the world.
Truth against the world

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have back pocket carried a few times and it’s not bad. I typically front pocket carry everyday in a Kydex pocket holster. A little easier to get to

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Duplicate post.
Sorry about that.
Last edited by Liberty on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I've done it a few times like when answering the door. No Holster, but It's a DA and I check the safety.
The thing is it seems to be that carrying it that way without a holster doesn't protect the gun much. If one should fall on their butt, he could damage the gun and perhaps themselves. Obviously, the holster carry is the preferred carry, and belt carry at around 3 or 9 o'clock is the preferred method for ideal situations.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don’t usually pocket carry at all, but the rare occasion when I do, I use my front left pocket (I’m a southpaw) with a kydex unit from Alabama Holsters. But just the other day, when I bought thelurker’s .45-70 Marlin from him, he lives so close to me that I just stuck my pocket holster into my back pocket before leaving the house, because I already had a front pocke full of stuff. It was actually more convenient feeling, concealed relatively easily, and left me the use of my front pocket for keys and such.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

I personally will never back pocket carry, mainly because my back pockets are small, and the gun WILL stick out. That equates to a non-compliant open carry. If I ever open the door, I usually just open the door with the sidearm on my hip as usual. I don't care if they see it. I only open the door for people I trust anyway.

If I don't carry 3 o'clock or front pocket (that's another option I like to use), I would carry small-of-back (sob). I typically don't like it because it is difficult to pull out if needed, but it is the most concealed position. If I'm ever in an environment where concealability is top priority and where the biggest threat is one you can see from far away, it makes sense. I never appendix carry. Not necessarily because the gun's always pointed at my junk, but because I can't sit down.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I carried in my back pocket for 3 years pretty much every day, got used to it pretty fast but I did have to specifically buy pants that would fit it.i have a wallet holster that worked well. Now I work for an ISD so no more work carry. I still carry it running to the grocery store but on weekends I've started carrying my full size more often.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

OK, let me preface this with an acknowledgement that I’m not some bad hombre. When it comes to proficiency and knowledge on this board, I’m probably in the bottom 5%.
I carry my BUG in a pocket holster in the left hip pocket, available to the weak hand. The reason is two fold.
When I decided to carry, I bought a little Ruger LCP .380. I mean, that’s all I need right? I took the class and got my CHL. Then I joined this board and the Pistol forum. The PF board is heavy with LEO contingent. Two discussion on that board are relevant to this discussion:

(1) Lots of discussion about the effectiveness of various calibers. Video of ballistic gel, but more importantly, actual police reports of real world events. It convinced me I need to move up some. So, I purchased a Ruger SR9c for EDC that I carry 4 0’ clock IWB.

I love the little LCP. As small as it is, it announces its presence every time I send lead downrange. A single box of Winchester White-box will have your hand aching. I can’t explain it, but I just couldn’t give up that little gun. So, I decided to keep it as a BUG.

(2) I ran across a discussion about BUGs on a LEO thread in the PF. Some of the guys suggested that the BUG should be available to the weak hand because the same thing that disables your EDC may very well disable your strong hand.

Now I realize that there is a huge difference in the needs of a civilian LCT holder and LEO. But, I’ve already got the LCP that I’m going to keep as a BUG. AND, it’s an LCP. I mean the sights (such as they are) were added as an after thought. I checked it out, and my “aim” wasn’t noticeably worse with the weak hand as the strong hand with this little gun. So, I moved it from the right hip pocket to the left.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”