Hallsville parent arrested after bringing gun to junior high campus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Hallsville parent arrested after bringing gun to junior high campus

Post by Keith B »

HALLSVILLE — A Hallsville ISD parent who also is volunteered at the district was arrested Tuesday after officials said she carried a gun on campus.
She is (was) an LTC holder. :banghead:

https://www.news-journal.com/news/polic ... 7c210.html
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusme

Re: Hallsville parent arrested after bringing gun to junior high campus

Post by Jusme »

Words fail me!! :shock:

It's one thing to "forget" you are carrying at a school (it happened to me), but then to show someone else, that you have a concealed handgun, was the ultimate in stupidity. It's sad that she will lose her LTC, but if you don't know the law, or respect the law, any better than that, it's probably for the best. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

Why in the world would a LTC holder knowingly and willingly violate the law, and then openly admit to it while breaking it? :banghead:

Unless she’s a leftist who got LTC expressly for this purpose. I don’t put anything they will do outside the realm of possibility.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:banghead: :mad5 :rules:

Know the rules. Follow the rules.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jusme wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 pm It's sad that she will lose her LTC,.....
And be charged with a felony
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

orangetx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by orangetx »

Sad to hear she didn't respect the plain laid out for everyone to know law.
With that being said, next week is the 1st day of school. I will have to drop my little girl off, most likely go in side.
I know with God as my witness NOT to bring it in the school, but would I be allowed to leave it in the car or is schools treated like the Post Office. No firearms at all in parking lot?
Any advice is welcome. I am still a newbie being only 2 months with a LTC.
Who’s interrupting my Kung Fu?!

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

They didn't say if she was carrying into a building or just on the property, you could have a case of a LEO not knowing or understanding the law (specifically the definition of premises) and making the arrest based on bad knowledge. I know of one local instance where a traffic stop pulled into a school parking lot and presented his LTC to the officers and informed them he was armed. Three officers were eventually involved in the stop. Officer A thought the law had a provision relating to parking lots and such. Officer B didn't think it did, Officer C was of the opinion the law probably didn't but if it did then it was wrong so they should arrest anyway and let the attorney's deal with it. The county attorney was on vacation at the time and the district attorney had resigned or was not talking to the local PD because he had been arrested for DWI/DUI by the city PD (I don't remember what his status was at the time). Officer B was the supervisor and decided since they could issue a warrant if the law didn't have a provision for parking lots they should let the LTC holder go. 'Officer A' spoke to me about it the next day and I pulled up 46.03 and 46.035 on my phone and walked him through it. After he understood it I asked him how did they return his firearm if they were unsure if it was legal for him to have it in the school parking lot, his answer was "Why would we disarm him? He was never a threat."
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

It sounds like she is a victim of the "school activity" catch-all as it did not specifically say that she was inside a building.

Seems like she was a volunteer who (stupidly) showed another volunteer she was armed. If she had brought it into the school, I suspect the article would have mentioned it. It only mentions being 'on campus', which is not illegal.
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Shouldn't be against the law to begin with :banghead:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

G.A. Heath wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm They didn't say if she was carrying into a building or just on the property, you could have a case of a LEO not knowing or understanding the law (specifically the definition of premises) and making the arrest based on bad knowledge. I know of one local instance where a traffic stop pulled into a school parking lot and presented his LTC to the officers and informed them he was armed. Three officers were eventually involved in the stop. Officer A thought the law had a provision relating to parking lots and such. Officer B didn't think it did, Officer C was of the opinion the law probably didn't but if it did then it was wrong so they should arrest anyway and let the attorney's deal with it. The county attorney was on vacation at the time and the district attorney had resigned or was not talking to the local PD because he had been arrested for DWI/DUI by the city PD (I don't remember what his status was at the time). Officer B was the supervisor and decided since they could issue a warrant if the law didn't have a provision for parking lots they should let the LTC holder go. 'Officer A' spoke to me about it the next day and I pulled up 46.03 and 46.035 on my phone and walked him through it. After he understood it I asked him how did they return his firearm if they were unsure if it was legal for him to have it in the school parking lot, his answer was "Why would we disarm him? He was never a threat."
Good point. The article does say 'campus'. Will be interesting to follow the case for further details.
Keith

flechero

Post by flechero »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:20 pm Unless she’s a leftist who got LTC expressly for this purpose. I don’t put anything they will do outside the realm of possibility.
The way this crazy world works, they probably wouldn't arrest or prosecute a lefty pulling this stunt. :grumble

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

orangetx wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm Sad to hear she didn't respect the plain laid out for everyone to know law.
With that being said, next week is the 1st day of school. I will have to drop my little girl off, most likely go in side.
I know with God as my witness NOT to bring it in the school, but would I be allowed to leave it in the car or is schools treated like the Post Office. No firearms at all in parking lot?
Any advice is welcome. I am still a newbie being only 2 months with a LTC.
You can leave it locked in you vehicle in the parking lot. but be sure that the parking lot, is not being used as a school activity i.e. band practice etc.

rotor

Post by rotor »

jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm Shouldn't be against the law to begin with :banghead:
I agree.
Also one site said she was in the band hall so she really is in trouble.
I don't understand why someone that has legally been vetted to carry can't be in a schoolroom.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

This report is so poorly written it's difficult to know if she was on the campus or in the school premises, ie building. She can't legally display her CCW so there's that. If she wasn't in the building or tending to an activity the charge they reported shouldn't stick. Have to wait for semi intellegent reportage.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm
jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm Shouldn't be against the law to begin with :banghead:
I agree.
Also one site said she was in the band hall so she really is in trouble.
I don't understand why someone that has legally been vetted to carry can't be in a schoolroom.
I agree that LTC holders should be allowed to carry in schools, but until, it is passed by the legislature and signed into law, by the governor, it will remain illegal. Hopefully, we can get legislation passed, that will free up, LTC holders, and allow them to carry anywhere a LEO, would be able to do so.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”