The three amigos (professors) shot down again.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

The three amigos (professors) shot down again.

Post by jmorris »

Pun intended. Didn't see it elsewhere. AG news blast.

AG Paxton Commends 5th Circuit Decision Upholding Campus Carry Law

AUSTIN – Attorney General Ken Paxton today commended a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit after it upheld a lower court’s dismissal of a lawsuit by three University of Texas at Austin professors who challenged Senate Bill 11, the campus carry law. The professors claimed that the legislation passed by the Texas Legislature in 2015 would have a “chilling effect” and stifle discussion in their classrooms.

“The lawsuit was filed because the professors disagreed with the law, not because they had any legal substance to their claim,” Attorney General Paxton said. “The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed for all Americans, including college students, and the 5th Circuit’s decision prevents that right from being stripped away by three individuals who oppose the law enacted by the Legislature.”

In July 2017, a U.S. District Court dismissed the professors’ complaints on the grounds that they were baseless and without legal standing. Senate Bill 11 took effect August 1, 2016.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

apostate

Re: The three amigos (professors) shot down again.

Post by apostate »

I hope the defendants recover their legal costs from the plaintiffs.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

same in GA
Georgia professors' attempt to invalidate the state's campus carry law fails.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... law-fails/

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

apostate wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:38 pm I hope the defendants recover their legal costs from the plaintiffs.
So do I. If it happened more often, it might cut down on some of these crazy lawsuits.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

apostate wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:38 pm I hope the defendants recover their legal costs from the plaintiffs.
I’d settle for them being fired and never allowed to work in education again.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

krieghoff wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm
So do I. If it happened more often, it might cut down on some of these crazy lawsuits.
I wonder how much all of this cost the taxpayer. Those courts are not free.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:32 pm
THIS! Don't let them try to brainwash anymore of our young adults.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Does the overt bias against conservative thought "stifle discussion in their ckasstooms"? Possibly, since even leaders in the field are worried about it: http://theweek.com/articles/441474/how- ... al-science.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm
I think it would be a special kind of hell for them to _have_ to go back in their classroom and discuss their controversial subjects, knowing someone in the room might be carrying.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

oohrah wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm
I think it would be a special kind of hell for them to _have_ to go back in their classroom and discuss their controversial subjects, knowing someone in the room might be carrying.

I always, wondered, what they are discussing, that would cause students, whether LTC holders, or not, to want to shoot them? Also, what has kept them from being shot, up until now? Do they believe, no one would shoot them just because it was against the law to bring a gun to their class, before campus carry was passed?
Maybe, before they became educators ( and I use that term loosely) they should have become more educated. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:27 am
I always, wondered, what they are discussing, that would cause students, whether LTC holders, or not, to want to shoot them? Also, what has kept them from being shot, up until now? Do they believe, no one would shoot them just because it was against the law to bring a gun to their class, before campus carry was passed?
Maybe, before they became educators ( and I use that term loosely) they should have become more educated. JMHO
Time magazine has run several articles on this subject. Here is one
http://time.com/4237638/campus-carry-te ... versities/

There was another that I cannot find right now by a TWU sociology professor who claimed that she had been bullied by her students over grades and that she feared that she would have to give everyone As because of the possibility that they were armed. I have no doubt about students confronting her regarding their grades. Given the entitlement mentality among some of the student age population, it wouldn't be surprising. Sociology appears to be a study in numbers so one would expect the professors who teach it to be based in facts. But given the capricious manner in which at least some professors seem to approach facts and reality, the students might have a reason to challenge her if she takes a similar approach to grading their work. The oppression by professors against anyone with Conservative ideas could also be a factor. In that case, there was an old saying about "hoist on their own petard".
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TomS

Post by TomS »

Liberal tenured professors in our colleges is a real threat to this country. Have you ever read comments by students on the site “ratemyprofessor”? Some conservative students stating they endure hour lectures on gun rights, etc, instead of the English class they signed up for. It’s disgusting that unuiversites allow these liberal educators to get away with this. Yes, California, I’m talking about you!

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Jusme wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:27 am I always, wondered, what they are discussing, that would cause students, whether LTC holders, or not, to want to shoot them? Also, what has kept them from being shot, up until now? Do they believe, no one would shoot them just because it was against the law to bring a gun to their class, before campus carry was passed?
It isn't so much what they are discussing as how they are discussing it. Many professors lack the most basic of interpersonal relationship skills. They needle and pick at their students until they have created discord, and then end class, proud of themselves for opening up the class to something "new and controversial". These professors were never in control, they simply pushed until the students pushed back - kind of like teasing a dog through the fence. To these teachers, campus carry looks like the teased dog learning to open the gate. :eek6

Talented teachers can manipulate a class discussion to create a healthy and productive amount of tension, which is useful in building interest and raising students' level of concern, and then relieve that tension before wrapping up and releasing class. Everybody learns something and leaves feeling successful instead of abused.

I agree that this particular batch of yahoos should reimburse the state for its time and expense, and then be dismissed from their positions.

Jeff

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”