Campus Carry: Move in day

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 2

Campus Carry: Move in day

Post by Frankie »

Today we will be moving our youngest into the dorms to begin her freshman year at Tarleton State, she’s pre vet.
Ever since our first campus visit more than a year ago, I’ve been planning on carrying with every visit, including freshman move in day.
They have a pretty good policy and a page dedicated to it, I keep it booked marked so I can try and stay educated so as to avoid any troubles.

https://www.tarleton.edu/FINADMINWEB/sa ... carry.html

Anyone else have any experience carrying here?

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus Carry: Move in day

Post by OneGun »

That web page is well written. My sons attend Texas A&M and I have been carrying there without a problem. Your daughter's school is part of the A&M system.

You will be fine.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

You're right, that is a very well done and unbiased website.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

ELB

Post by ELB »

That is pretty straight forward.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I moved my daughter into her UTSA dorm on Friday. 30.06 sign was prominently posted on the entrance. I walked back to my truck and removed my gun from it's holster. Somehow this increased the safety of everyone there :roll:

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Aggies versus Tea Sips. Figure it out. Texas A&M System versus UT System
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Carried my Glock 23 OWB covered by a T-shirt all day. Don’t think I even got a second look.
:hurry:

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Boxerrider »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm I moved my daughter into her UTSA dorm on Friday. 30.06 sign was prominently posted on the entrance. I walked back to my truck and removed my gun from it's holster. Somehow this increased the safety of everyone there :roll:
Ken Paxton addressed this in Opinion No. KP-0051, December 2015.
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/op ... kp0051.pdf
"If an institution placed a prohibition on handguns in the
institution's residential facilities, however, it would effectively prohibit license holders in those
facilities from carrying concealed handguns on campus, in violation of S.B. 11.6"

Taking our girl to Angelo State on Friday and will let everybody know what I see there!

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm I moved my daughter into her UTSA dorm on Friday. 30.06 sign was prominently posted on the entrance. I walked back to my truck and removed my gun from it's holster. Somehow this increased the safety of everyone there :roll:
I also moved my daughter to UTSA. Chapparal Village is sort of apt style dorms with all rooms having an outside door, so there's no formal entrance and no 30.06. Doesn't seem right that some dorms are subject to 30.06 and some are not.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Since a dorm is a residence wouldn't it be exempt from 30.06 similar to a hotel room is? In other words, a student could keep a firearm in their room, and carry it to and from the room, but could not carry in common areas. :headscratch
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Here is the UTSA campus carry policy:

https://www.utsa.edu/campuscarry/

It lists, residences, as prohibited, along with just about everywhere else, on campus.

I thought, that prohibiting carry in your residence, went against the policy set down by the Legislature, because it would mean that students who live on campus would be unilaterally disarmed at all times.

I would contact my reps, and see if there is any action that can be taken. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

OK, I see that residence halls that do not have a private room are off limits to guns. But, residence halls that DO have private rooms (which would provide secure storage of handguns) are not off limits. I guess they have never heard of gun safes.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Am I the only one who noticed how closely the restrictions are located to the core values on that UTSA web page, and yet how far away from each other they are philosophically?

Can you report unreasonable 30-06 signage at state schools like you report other state property, or do you have to file suit?

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

OneGun wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am That web page is well written. My sons attend Texas A&M and I have been carrying there without a problem. Your daughter's school is part of the A&M system.

You will be fine.
+1

moved my Freshman son into A&M this last week. Reviewed their guidance (which was very well written) and carried accordingly. No issues. So glad my son chose A&M vs. one of the UT campuses...

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

No problem at Angelo State University. I tagged along through the dorm check-in, parking tag, and mail key processes as well as being a carrier of stuff into her room. Never saw a sign.
Here is a link to ASU's policy https://www.angelo.edu/president_welcom ... -carry.php. Girl-child said it was covered well in their freshman orientation too.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”