CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

TX: TSA misses handgun, owner turns self in

Post by ELB »

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/new ... -584990249

At Austin Bergstrom LTC holder went through checkpoint with Ruger LCP in his carry-on, then discovered it when he went looking for his headphones. He notified an airline agent, who notified the Austin police. APD ran a background check and searched his bag, let him go. TSA says the Screener who missed the gun is no longer employed by TSA.

Things worked out differently for this other guy:

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/new ... /449725345
USAF 1982-2005

aero10

Re: TX: TSA misses handgun, owner turns self in

Post by aero10 »

Well, you're looking at a case of someone with a LTC vs someone without possessing a loaded handing in a bag. Glad to see the LTCer didn't get in trouble for an honest mistake and then doing the right thing; granted, TSA should have caught it and him be able to handle it at the security checkpoint.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Wow. Let him go.

Austin is close to losing its reputation.

And then arrested a person of color for the same thing.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez needs to come down and give them some liberal lessons.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

six .22-caliber rounds of ammo inside the chamber.
That’s not how that works.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm
six .22-caliber rounds of ammo inside the chamber.
That’s not how that works.
While it should read “chambers” that makes for an awkward sentence. I’m just impressed that the journalist didn’t note that the revolvers clip was fully loaded. :lol:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

SigM4 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 pm While it should read “chambers” that makes for an awkward sentence. I’m just impressed that the journalist didn’t note that the revolvers clip was fully loaded. :lol:
Also impressed that the journalist didn't call it a fully-automatic revolver. :rolll
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Mel

Post by Mel »

n5wmk wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 pm
SigM4 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 pm While it should read “chambers” that makes for an awkward sentence. I’m just impressed that the journalist didn’t note that the revolvers clip was fully loaded. :lol:
Also impressed that the journalist didn't call it a fully-automatic revolver. :rolll
Maybe it was a semi-fully-automatic revolver.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Sadly, this happens more often than any one person knows. I spent many years at the airport observing security checkpoints. Pre-TSA was a joke I frequently passed with prohibited items undetected (as a test!). TSA brought the technology and it could be 100% effective if it weren't for the human factor. People make mistakes, get distracted, hungover, sleepy, whatever. The TSA's "layered approach" to security is actually a good thing, The checks and balances of supervisory and management catches most potential human error, but it's still humans watching humans. The new texas law allowing an officer to not charge an LTC after accidentally carrying a handgun in a checkpoint is probably one of the most sensible laws lately. After verifying the facts of an honest mistake, you get to go on your way. Its still a violation of federal law tho and this Austin guy could very likely be mailed a notice of fine and those are expensive. Still better than going to jail.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Mel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 pm
With 6 rounds in the chamber that would all come out at once when fired. :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm
With 6 rounds in the chamber that would all come out at once when fired. :evil2:

I know, I know. They don’t all come out at once, but I thought it was funny anyway. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 am
C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm

I know, I know. They don’t all come out at once, but I thought it was funny anyway. :mrgreen:
Hey they would if you get a good chain fire going. Well not all at once but close enough. :lol:

Yikes, that is crazy. Check your bags before you fly folks!
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”