Yikes! Where's my gun? :eek6

WildRose
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Carelessness in Public Restrooms

Post by WildRose »

Pawpaw wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39 pm
WildRose wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am
Pawpaw wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:30 am
WildRose wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:55 am I haven't ignored anything. The more you handle firearms the more likely you are eventually to make a mistake with one. It's simply math.
Unfortunately, the math falls on it's face when confronted with reality.

Firearm ownership has been increasing for decades, with a huge surge from 2008 to 2016. It stands to reason that with increased ownership, there is more handling going on.

Despite that growth, accidental death & injury from firearms accidents has fallen year after year.
Firearms ownership has fallen by nearly half since the 1960's. Today we have about 40% of homes that have at least one firearm in them (lawfully) but, while the number of owners has gone down dramatically during that period more and more of us own multiple firearms.

The math doesn't fail, we have over 5x as many accidental shootings in the US each year than we have intentional homicides.

Every time you handle a loaded weapon there is a chance you will mishandle it. The easiest way to avoid such accidents is to keep it holstered period until you have to use it or need to put it away.
I don't know where your're getting your information, but it doesn't hold up.

The percentage of households with firearms has remained basically unchanged from 1972 to 2017.

Percentage of households in the United States owning one or more firearms from 1972 to 2017

The number of accidental deaths fell from 824 in 1999 to 489 in 2015.

Amid rising gun violence, accidental shooting deaths have plummeted.

My numbers come directly from the FBI. I'm not cherry picking them I stated plainly from the start the time frame. Self reported gun ownership is down as per the number of homes admitting to having them. The average person today though owns instead of 3 as in 1960 to 8 or more firearms today.

The collections have grown substantially, not the number of individual owners over the last 50 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... f8fd784705

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/01/ ... un-ow.aspx

https://qz.com/1095899/gun-ownership-in ... ee-charts/

Accidental deaths are not the only way in which people are harmed with Ad/Nd's, we also have a staggering number of injuries that result from them. The higher survival rate is directly related to better emergency care and more rapid treatment.

While it is true that overall percapita gun ownership has risen since it hit a low in the late eighties the number of homes that have firearms in them is down substantially from the sixties. This is a direct result of the ever increasing urbanization of the population.

14,000-19,000 unintentional injuries and 500-600 annual deaths due to UD's.

https://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

WildRose wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:05 pm Accidental deaths are not the only way in which people are harmed with Ad/Nd's, we also have a staggering number of injuries that result from them. The higher survival rate is directly related to better emergency care and more rapid treatment.
This is likely because their has been a shift from the 60s to the present from long guns to handguns, and from the 90's to the present of safe DA/SA to guns without safeties Glockleg was unheard of in the 60's Fortunatly the condition while painful often crippling isn't usually deadly.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Self reported gun ownership is down as per the number of homes admitting to having them.
This tells me that the stats are not accurate since many will deny or under report numbers, depending on who's asking.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildRose »

flechero wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:11 am
Self reported gun ownership is down as per the number of homes admitting to having them.
This tells me that the stats are not accurate since many will deny or under report numbers, depending on who's asking.
It's all we have to go on since it would be unconstitutional for the gov't to require us to provide them an inventory.

It's also the same way the numbers have been reported, recorded and tabulated for over 50 years.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

WildRose wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am
flechero wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:11 am
It's all we have to go on since it would be unconstitutional for the gov't to require us to provide them an inventory.

It's also the same way the numbers have been reported, recorded and tabulated for over 50 years.
True, but 50 years ago there were not many people worried about admitting to be gun owners. These days, I think the number of people flat out denying [lying about] it are exponentially higher.

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

I would never let my trousers lay on the floor of a public restroom. Have you notice the amount of urine and filth on their floors??? :shock: :read:

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

As others have said best to avoid public restrooms if you can. Of course on a long trip that is not normally possible. As soon as I started carrying (at first it was CC now normally OC) I made a very clear decision not to use a urinal. Standing facing a wall with your back exposed and your hands occupied is tempting providence. Therefore I decided that even when I pee I would do so sitting down facing towards any potential threat. Since I open carry anyway I am not concerned about someone seeing my weapon but I am concerned if they think they might have a chance taking me on because I am distracted by bodily functions. Therefore leaving my pistol in a retention holster flopping around on the floor with my pants actually makes drawing it more difficult something someone else might also notice. So my pistol always leaves the holster and cannot be seen by anyone glancing under the partition. All someone outside the stall can see are my pants my mag pouch and an empty holster around my ankles As to whether the weapon is on the toilet roll holder or in my hand they will have to guess, hopefully that uncertainty will itself be a deterrent. As to the risk of an ND! Well I draw my pistol when I get home, I keep it close by but I don't wear it on the couch, in my recliner or in bed but it travels about the house with me, I understand how it works and I never handle it in a reckless manner but you cannot let some morbid fear of an ND rule your life. Back in 1976 in Northern Ireland, I had a disagreement with my CO about how we should carry our pistols but that's another story suffice to say I ignored his instructions.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Instructor_Earl

Post by Instructor_Earl »

Thank you for ideas for a new scenario.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”