Carelessness in Public Restrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Carelessness in Public Restrooms

Post by KLB »

Here's an interesting article about problems encountered in public restrooms.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... oom-carry/

OneGun

Re: Carelessness in Public Restrooms

Post by OneGun »

How many people here can relate???
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

TomS

Post by TomS »

I don’t carry around a duty sized gun so weight is not a problem.
Last edited by TomS on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Even with a 5” steel 1911, I don’t see what the problem is with a proper holster.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

WTR wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 pm Even with a 5” steel 1911, I don’t see what the problem is with a proper holster.
:iagree: there ya go!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

TreyHouston wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 pm
WTR wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 pm Even with a 5” steel 1911, I don’t see what the problem is with a proper holster.
:iagree: there ya go!
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I do carry a full size 1911 Double stack, i have no problems! Certainly would never remove it from the holster!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

I can relate in that I have to deal with a firearm while using public restrooms. I have never had an issue and don't expect to. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly in a Safariland ALS holster. I also carry two spare magazines, with 32 rounds total, and a loaded Ruger LCR .38.

The active retention of the ALS holster solves the "falling out" issue. I have found it simple to keep my pants above my knees rather than letting them fall to the floor. That takes care of the someone seeing the pistol issue. Of course, since my pistol is in a belt holster, I don't care if anyone sees it.

I feel that complacency plays a large part in this issue. I always told my artillery soldiers that complacency was our enemy and that complacency would result in our killing the wrong people. When we decide to carry a self defense firearm, we take on the responsibility to not become complacent in doing so.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ElGallo

Post by ElGallo »

Interesting article. I started carrying concealed this year and I often wonder what others do in public restrooms. I keep my weapon in the holster and don't let my pants drop to the floor if I"m sitting on the toilet so nothing is visible from the outside or adjacent stall. The hardest thing for me though is using the urinal.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grundy1133 »

you know 99% of the problems we face could be solved if we had public bathrooms like the rest of the world where the panels go all the way to the floor and there are no huge gaping cracks between the door and the stall... i cant tell you how many times ive had 4 year olds look under the stall door and im just like umm can i help you dude? i hate using public restrooms unless theyre the single toilet bathrooms with a locking door.
NRA Member

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grundy1133 »

ElGallo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:57 am Interesting article. I started carrying concealed this year and I often wonder what others do in public restrooms. I keep my weapon in the holster and don't let my pants drop to the floor if I"m sitting on the toilet so nothing is visible from the outside or adjacent stall. The hardest thing for me though is using the urinal.
depends on what im carrying. if i have it in a kydex holster IWB ill just pop it off my belt and sit it on the TP dispinser or hang it from the coat hook. if im carrying a hybrid IWB ill just leave it where it is and try to cover it with my underwear so you cant see anything. if im carrying OWB i have a thumb release so im not too worried about anyone trying to grab it from me.
NRA Member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I might have to start carrying an ankle holster for such occasions.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The advanced tactical solution is to avoid public restrooms unless absolutely necessary. Even then, Starbucks is a good choice for that reason since they are usually single use rooms.
Psalm 91:2

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

Holster and proper belt is the combo I believe is the better choice.
My gun belts, though all loops even with the buckle undone still securely retains my medium frame EDC in its holster, relative to the trousers.

Ive been carrying a weapon most every day since 1985. Not once have I had an ND, or even near ND. Never lost my weapon, misplaced, was not away of its location.
Humans are imperfect, Humans are fallible, so its always a possibility I could one do do either..But that knowledge keeps me attuned in a proactive manner to mitigate the risks.

I think its the ones that believe it CANT happen to them are the bigger risk.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

WildRose
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildRose »

Have a decent holster and don't be stupid. Keep it holstered at all times. The odds of an AD go up astronomically every time you handle a firearm outside of it's holster.

If you don't notice that your gun has fallen out of the holster when you pulled your pants up, you probably need to quit drinking and definitely don't need to be carrying.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”