Man arrested for carrying at Mass. Anyone know anything more?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Man arrested for carrying at Mass. Anyone know anything more?

Post by puma guy »

Mr. Winkle may be pushing an agenda and is willing to be the test case and Amarillo police seem to be obliging. I can't imagine a court would call sanctuary a school, but one never know. My church has a school on the church plant and I carry on Sundays in the sanctuary. Even if he received proper verbal warning carrying is a trespass charge is it not? No signage posted per the reporter and I didn't see any in the video. More to com I'm thinking.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this brought to mind a question regarding the Federal Gun Free Zone Act. Has there ever been a challenge based on laws like Texas MPA. In my city almost every school sn on a main thoroughfare and there are probably thousands of drivers going past with concealed handguns in their vehicles, not to mention many living near them who carry in their car w/ no LTC. FGFZA basically disarms any one except LTC within 1000 ft.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildRose
Posts in topic: 14

Post by WildRose »

flechero wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm I know nothing of Houston but the Catholic Churches around here and the Catholic Diocese of Austin (covers this area) are all posted. Sounds right that the wife would be getting pics of the entrances if not posted.
The incident took place in Amarillo, it's just being reported by the Chronicle.
A man was recently arrested in Amarillo, Texas for bringing a firearm to Sunday Mass.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

From further reading.
"Concealed weapons are banned from all Catholic church buildings in the Diocese of Amarillo. The purpose of Catholic facilities is to serve human life in all its stages from conception to natural death. The presence of any weapon which could cause physical harm would be incompatible with this purpose."
http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3907 ... unday-mass

This guy was a problem, he knew what he was doing and apparently there was significant history between he and the church.

He's a stain on the rest of us.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 pm From further reading.
"Concealed weapons are banned from all Catholic church buildings in the Diocese of Amarillo. The purpose of Catholic facilities is to serve human life in all its stages from conception to natural death. The presence of any weapon which could cause physical harm would be incompatible with this purpose."

This guy was a problem, he knew what he was doing and apparently there was significant history between he and the church.

That may be their policy, but do they provide effective notice? We’ll just have to wait and see.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

C-dub wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:24 pm
WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 pm From further reading.

That may be their policy, but do they provide effective notice? We’ll just have to wait and see.
They must have or there would have been no grounds for the arrest.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Winkle is now out on bond, but was charged today with the third degree felony of exhibiting firearms on campus.
So he wasn't cited for carrying past a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, he was cited for carrying on school grounds.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/education- ... 7-125.html
(a) A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, or threatens to exhibit or use a firearm:

(1) in or on any property, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area, that is owned by a private or public school;  or

(2) on a school bus being used to transport children to or from school-sponsored activities of a private or public school.

(b) An offense under this section is a third degree felony.
So, is a catholic church during sunday mass a school? or a religious institution? If it is a religious institution, then effective notice is required under 30.06 and/or 30.07. If it is a school, then perhaps the legislature needs to better define when a multi-use facility is and isn't a school.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:37 pm http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3907 ... unday-mass
Winkle is now out on bond, but was charged today with the third degree felony of exhibiting firearms on campus.
So he wasn't cited for carrying past a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, he was cited for carrying on school grounds.

(a) A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, or threatens to exhibit or use a firearm:

(1) in or on any property, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area, that is owned by a private or public school;  or

(2) on a school bus being used to transport children to or from school-sponsored activities of a private or public school.

So, is a catholic church during sunday mass a school? or a religious institution? If it is a religious institution, then effective notice is required under 30.06 and/or 30.07. If it is a school, then perhaps the legislature needs to better define when a multi-use facility is and isn't a school.
I wonder if his point was to get the ride for carrying "where not wanted" or some sort of trespass, or possibly to try to push the leg into seeing the need to just this.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:37 pm http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3907 ... unday-mass

After speaking with DPD I have a few more details.

He's under arrest for multiple charges, with more to be filed.

Apparently he made verbal threats of using deadly force on Wednesday when he was training to be an usher and after being warned not to bring firearms back on campus did so on Sunday.

This is taken from a release the APD emailed me. Of course with the case still pending they will not release all the details.
On the morning of Sunday September 9th, an off-duty APD officer working security at a local church was alerted to a male who was acting suspiciously and making comments to a pastor about the ability to bring firearms into the church. The suspicious male left before the officer could make contact with him in person, but the officer was able to reach out to the male by phone. The male was identified as Kevin Thomas Winkle, a 52 year old male. The officer was able to confirm the conversation that had taken place between Winkle and the pastor. Winkle told the officer that he was en route to the church on the St. Mary’s Academy Property to work as an usher. Due to statements made during this phone conversation, the officer then reached out to St. Mary’s to alert them to Kevin Winkle’s presence on their property.

Staff at St. Mary’s was aware of Kevin Winkle from an incident that occurred on Wednesday September 5th. Winkle showed up that evening for a training to potentially become an usher for the church. During the training Winkle made several alarming comments and displayed a rifle that he was carrying in a violin case along with three handguns that were in his possession, which led the leaders to fear for the safety of their members. Before the Sunday service St. Mary’s hired an off-duty APD officer to work security, due to concern caused by Winkle. The officer was made aware of the incident involving Kevin Winkle. The officer working at St. Mary’s was alerted to the presence of Kevin Winkle on the St. Mary’s property by the officer who had spoken with him by phone.

The off-duty officer observed Winkle and saw that he did have a firearm in a holster on his waist. The officer also located two other firearms and several magazines of ammunition in Winkle’s pockets. The 1200 block of S. Washington is cohabited by St. Mary’s Church and the St. Mary’s Academy, so Winkle was placed under arrest for Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon in Prohibited Places. During an inventory of Winkles vehicle, prior to removing it from the property, two rifles with multiple rounds of ammunition were located. The rifles were stored in two separate violin cases.

Kevin Thomas Winkle was arrested on September 9th and booked into the Potter County Detention Center. On September 12th, a separate warrant was issued for the arrest of Kevin Winkle out of Potter County for Exhibition, Use, or Threat of Exhibition or Use of Firearms, (A 3rd Degree Felony under Education Code 37.125)stemming from the incident at St. Mary’s on Wednesday September 5th. Winkle was located in 8100 block of Progress and taken into custody on his warrant. ... .
The charge of carrying in a prohibited site, namely a school is pretty tenuous under the law since no school events were under way that evening at least from what I can gather and he was not in the designated area which is the school.

There will be much more I think coming out on this as the case progresses.
Last edited by WildRose on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

SewTexas wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:57 pm

I wonder if his point was to get the ride for carrying "where not wanted" or some sort of trespass, or possibly to try to push the leg into seeing the need to just this.
He admitted to the arresting officer that he was carrying on Wednesday which may/may not put him technically in violation.

Catholic church schools also utilize the sanctuary for education during classes so it may too be covered.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

flechero wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm I know nothing of Houston but the Catholic Churches around here and the Catholic Diocese of Austin (covers this area) are all posted. Sounds right that the wife would be getting pics of the entrances if not posted.
Ft Worth diocese took them down a couple months ago.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

SewTexas wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:57 pm

I think he's a paranoid nutt that went out of his way to create a conflict and show off his guns scaring the membership.

They were in the process of warning him off of the property completely with a trespass notice but it hadn't been completed prior to the Sunday Mass according to a couple of members I talked to.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:14 pm
They were in the process of warning him off of the property completely with a trespass notice but it hadn't been completed prior to the Sunday Mass according to a couple of members I talked to.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean? Either he was given notice or he wasn't, I don't see rrom for any middle ground.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

flechero wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm
WildRose wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:14 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean? Either he was given notice or he wasn't, I don't see rrom for any middle ground.
Correct, there is no middle ground, I'm simply providing the background information as to what led up to this as it was provided to me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”