Man arrested for carrying at Mass. Anyone know anything more?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Man arrested for carrying at Mass. Anyone know anything more?

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

"We had some indication that he was going to attend one of the Masses last Sunday; therefore, we hired a uniformed police officer to protect us," Monsignor Michael Colwell wrote in the flier.
The above would seem to indicate that there was some kind of ongoing conflict between Kevin Winkle and the church.

St. Mary's does not appear to be posted 06/07 (not listed in Texas3006.com; no signs apparent in any of the photos turned up in Google image search)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Pretty sloppy reporting, was the church posted 30.06? Did the arrestee, have an LTC?

What prohibited place was he carrying? Carry in a church is legal unless it is posted, or he had been given effective notice.

There must be more to the story, since they had hired LEO in anticipation, of this guy showing up. Not only that, his wife taking pictures was also given a trespass warning. There is obviously a lot left unreported.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Russell wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 am https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 223558.php

Trying not to jump to conclusions here, but the guy sounds like he had multiple failures here all caused by himself....
The lack of details in the story is simply appalling! Was the church posted, how did they know he might attend, was he licensed, if the church wasn't posted was he told weapons are prohibited, can he even legally posses firearms, etc,??? Was his wife photographing from public property and detained or on church grounds? I do think the guy has some issue/s that must have signaled them, but I'd like to know the whole story.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

Found this on Facebook. No links to support it so take it for what it is.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2farnorth »

I'm speculating:::: Nothing about the church being posted with 06/07 signs as required. Since he was observed showing the weapon then he contributed to the problem. Plus they knew he was coming with weapons. If the signs were there then his wife wanted pics to show non-compliant signs. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE WAS LOOKING FOR A CONFRONTATION.
N5PNZ

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Article at http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3907 ... unday-mass says that Winkle was a [prepaid legal service] representative.

As such, I would presume he has an LTC. If the church is NOT posted, it would make sense that the wife would be taking photos and video of the site after the arrest to use in court either as a defense or part of a lawsuit.

So, idiot, or activist going Don Quixote on the Catholic Diocese for not properly posting, or both?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

That still leaves a lot of questions. Was the man an LTC holder? Was the church considered a school? O r was there a separate incident at another school? How did they know he was coming to the church, with a gun? It sounds like he was either trying to be a test case, or they are being overly harsh in charging him with a felony. I will need more info, before being able to give a more informed opinion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

roadkill wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am Found this on Facebook. No links to support it so take it for what it is.

If this is a notice put out by the church, that would tell more of the story. The "safe zone" reference in this notice, and the wife being arrested the next day while taking pictures supports the theory that this church was not properly posted, and church leaders erroneously thought that churches were automatically off limits to licensed carry.

As far as the person arrested, he might not just be an activist. Maybe he is trying to set up a super easy "win" to pad the stats for the service he represents.

It will be very interesting to see the missing facts here, like whether the church has evidence of giving this guy prior verbal notice, etc.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Jusme wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am
That still leaves a lot of questions. Was the man an LTC holder? Was the church considered a school? O r was there a separate incident at another school? How did they know he was coming to the church, with a gun? It sounds like he was either trying to be a test case, or they are being overly harsh in charging him with a felony. I will need more info, before being able to give a more informed opinion.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

denwego

Post by denwego »

It looks like St. Mary's the Church shares its property with St. Mary's the Elementary School - that supplementary charge would reflect 46.03, I imagine. I know we go back and forth a bunch on the forum here whether or not a church with a school is always a school when it's not in session... I guess we'll get a test case, eh?

The more relevant portion for myself is the first part of the story when he was arrested for carrying in a prohibited location. The details are lacking, but I can envision the scenario that they had told him to not come on property, and he did, and he was arrested at that time. 30.06 notification can be communicated orally, so section 46.035 involving church property after effective notice could certainly be invoked, albeit that's uncommon.

Also, it's a good point of remembering that a LTC protects you from 30.05 trespassing when carrying a handgun is the reason you are being asked to leave. If someone says "you're harassing our guests, get out and don't come back" and you come back and you happen to be armed with any sort of deadly weapon, it's at least Class A Misdemeanor under 30.05, LTC or not. Food for thought.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

To be clear the legal service mentioned in this news article is based in OK. It does not have Texas or US or Law in its name
http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3907 ... unday-mass
It also lists he's currently an independent associate for Legal Shield- a company that provides pre-need legal advice for gun owners.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

They could also post notice in bulletin materials. I know of one parish that posts notice on their web site but not on any buildings (would ruin the look)...pretty sure that doesn't fulfill the requirement of effective notice.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

I know nothing of Houston but the Catholic Churches around here and the Catholic Diocese of Austin (covers this area) are all posted. Sounds right that the wife would be getting pics of the entrances if not posted.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”