Judging books by their covers

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Judging books by their covers

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Odinvalknir wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:52 pm
WTR wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 pm I would say you are the new norm. I know more people with ink than without. Beards are popular also.
That is probably true. I had visible tattoos during the time when it was still kind of looked upon as being a rebellious thing and kind of look down on by a lot of people. But was lucky enough to work in a industry that didn't care. Same thing with beards I've had some sort of long facial hair since I was 18 or 19 going on 31 now. So I'm sure the way people view me is not as shady as I might think nowadays.
LOL... Tats have not been considered rebellious in your lifetime. At 31 you were born into tats being a cosmopolitan cool statement. When I read your post about tats being rebellious, I thought you might be like 55 or 60. :biggrinjester:

Truth of it is though, I bet most people "judge a book by it's cover" but then they suppress it out of political correctness guilt. That is about the same time they become a victim.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

For all the PC balderdash about "profiling", it is something all sentient creatures do with things and others in their environment -- assessing the risk potential of everything and everyone around them. Until actions are observed all we have to go on is initial appearances. As we observe the actions of a given subject, our initial impressions are either refuted or strengthened and we either assign a lower or higher risk potential to them as a result.

I understand fully that racism, jingoism, tribalism, etc... exist in this world. They all involve an initial distrust of "others". Profiling is not necessarily a means of propagating such distrust or hatred, despite what Progressive SJWs would have you believe. It is simply a one-word descriptor for using certain cues to make initial risk assessments -- something that in my opinion all of us should be doing during our waking hours.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Profile of Jail Inmates, 2002
-89.8% male
-93.2% under the age of 45
-58.6% never married
-96.8% no college degree
-Two-thirds of jail inmates in 2002 said they were regular drug users
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Lena

Post by Lena »

I remember well the class we had, the Capt saying in this agency we do not profile, then a pause and if you do not your DEAD.
Stay Safe

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BTW, profiling seems to be making a comeback as acceptable PC behavior. Just yesterday I read where a United States Senator publicly stated that all males are liars who are likely sexual predators. Not much of an uproar in the MSM, so I think they are saying it is perfectly acceptable to make gross generalizations and state them as facts.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I think everyone "profiles" to a certain degree. But, the art of awareness and self defense is more than that. Anyone watch Active Self Protection on Youtube? You will learn a few things if you watch a good number of vids.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Caliber wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm I think everyone "profiles" to a certain degree. But, the art of awareness and self defense is more than that. Anyone watch Active Self Protection on Youtube? You will learn a few things if you watch a good number of vids.
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Isn't 'profiling' (in a sense) the same as "situational awareness" i.e. the book "The Gift of Fear"?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 am Isn't 'profiling' (in a sense) the same as "situational awareness" i.e. the book "The Gift of Fear"?
I don't think it's the same thing. I think that profiling is one part of situational awareness. But situational awareness includes more than just profiling and includes things like knowing where the exits to a room are, etc.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”