LTC in Another State

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
omegaman
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

LTC in Another State

#1

Post by omegaman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 am

There are still several states that do not recognize my/our Texas CHL/LTC. I was considering obtaining an out-of-state license from another state to cover as many of the states in which I cannot legally carry now. Any suggestions on which state license would get me the most bang for my buck?

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: LTC in Another State

#2

Post by RoyGBiv » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Texas LTC enjoys pretty good reciprocity.
Utah or North Carolina would get you Washington state.

Unless you're planning travel to some place specific, it's hard to recommend a specific other state license. None is notably "better" than TX regarding added reciprocity.

http://handgunlaw.us/
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

Allons
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: LTC in Another State

#3

Post by Allons » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:42 pm
Texas LTC enjoys pretty good reciprocity.
Utah or North Carolina would get you Washington state.

Unless you're planning travel to some place specific, it's hard to recommend a specific other state license. None is notably "better" than TX regarding added reciprocity.

http://handgunlaw.us/
North Carolina does not issue non-resident permits. A Texas permit is valid in 38 states, I think the only one out there would be Utah to get Washington, I could be wrong though.
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P07, XDS-45 MOD 2, SCCY CPX-2 , MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999
Image


WildRose
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

Re: LTC in Another State

#4

Post by WildRose » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Allons wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 pm
RoyGBiv wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:42 pm
Texas LTC enjoys pretty good reciprocity.
Utah or North Carolina would get you Washington state.

Unless you're planning travel to some place specific, it's hard to recommend a specific other state license. None is notably "better" than TX regarding added reciprocity.

http://handgunlaw.us/
North Carolina does not issue non-resident permits. A Texas permit is valid in 38 states, I think the only one out there would be Utah to get Washington, I could be wrong though.
Utah is a good and fairly easy one to get. You don't even have to travel there to get licensed as there are Utah Certified Instructors here in Texas.
NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO,
TX LTC Instructor, Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.


Topic author
omegaman
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: LTC in Another State

#5

Post by omegaman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great group of folks to find sound advice.


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: LTC in Another State

#6

Post by Richbirdhunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am

I have my Texas and Utah. There hasn’t been to many places I couldn’t carry.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


proudpirate
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 am

Re: LTC in Another State

#7

Post by proudpirate » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am
I have my Texas and Utah. There hasn’t been to many places I couldn’t carry.
Who or what shop did you go to for your Utah permit?

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: LTC in Another State

#8

Post by RoyGBiv » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am

proudpirate wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am
I have my Texas and Utah. There hasn’t been to many places I couldn’t carry.
Who or what shop did you go to for your Utah permit?
Our own @Crossfire offers the Utah class.. Although I don't see one on their calendar...
https://www.crossfirechl.com/concealed-handgun/

I might be interested in a UT class if the price was right.... If you find one local to FTW/DFW, please let us know.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: LTC in Another State

#9

Post by Richbirdhunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 pm

proudpirate wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am
I have my Texas and Utah. There hasn’t been to many places I couldn’t carry.
Who or what shop did you go to for your Utah permit?
I’ve had it for almost 20 years. I can’t remember where I got it.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


WildRose
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

Re: LTC in Another State

#10

Post by WildRose » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:03 am

proudpirate wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am
I have my Texas and Utah. There hasn’t been to many places I couldn’t carry.
Who or what shop did you go to for your Utah permit?
Skyraider Arms in the DFW area does both.
NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO,
TX LTC Instructor, Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10763
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: LTC in Another State

#11

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 am

If they don't recognize my Texas CHL, they won't see my dollars.


Rubicon
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

Re: LTC in Another State

#12

Post by Rubicon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 am
If they don't recognize my Texas CHL, they won't see my dollars.
:iagree: If only more people would do the same and stop paying federal taxes until they either recognize Texas CHL or enforce "shall not be infringed" nationwide.
the die is cast


WildRose
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

Re: LTC in Another State

#13

Post by WildRose » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 am

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:58 pm
Oldgringo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 am
If they don't recognize my Texas CHL, they won't see my dollars.
:iagree: If only more people would do the same and stop paying federal taxes until they either recognize Texas CHL or enforce "shall not be infringed" nationwide.
It sounds nice but we'd have to get at least half of the taxpayers, including employers in the state to join us or the IRS would bury us all.
NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO,
TX LTC Instructor, Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: LTC in Another State

#14

Post by NNT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm

I don’t have it, but Idaho gets you a few more based on the uscarry map. I think you have to travel there to get it.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: LTC in Another State

#15

Post by RoyGBiv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:51 am

NNT wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm
I don’t have it, but Idaho gets you a few more based on the uscarry map. I think you have to travel there to get it.
Looks like Idaho enhanced permit gets you Washington and MN. Some other states like Maine will honor an ID resident permit only.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”