Tax assessor collectors office

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 6

Tax assessor collectors office

Post by Odinvalknir »

On a side door there is a PC 46.03 sign, but not on the front door. If I'm going to get my vehicle registration tag, and I enter thru the unmarked door, I'm confused as to who and where this law applies.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a) :

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

(4) on the premises of a racetrack;

(5) in or into a secured area of an airport;  or

(6) within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure , on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that:

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Re: Tax assessor collectors office

Post by Odinvalknir »

I guess I answered my own question. There's a court room on the 2nd floor. I didnt think government buildings as a whole were prohibited, just the court itself

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Odinvalknir wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 pm I guess I answered my own question. There's a court room on the 2nd floor. I didnt think government buildings as a whole were prohibited, just the court itself
This is the crux of the case between the city of Austin and the Attorney General. Paxton says, like you do, that it is only the actual rooms and areas used by the court. Austin says the whole building. We are, as a general rule, waiting for the court to make a final decision so we can have a guideline how to read the law from here on.
Steve Rothstein

WildRose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildRose »

The tax office has nothing to do with the court room, judges, or clerks offices so it should not be posted.

I'd report it as illegal signage.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

WildRose wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 pm The tax office has nothing to do with the court room, judges, or clerks offices so it should not be posted.

I'd report it as illegal signage.
The building is part of the precinct 8 Constable office. The court is upstairs and downstairs is the tax office, the county clerk and maybe something else. Like I said the sign was only on one door and that door was off to the side and not the main entrance to the building. When we left I took a picture of the side door where the signage is I should have taken one of the front door as well to show that there is no signage. I was confused as I have never come across this particular Penal Code sign and wasn't sure exactly what it meant or pertain to.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

After going back and looking at the photo again, it does actually say 40. 06(a)3. Which is.....

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

So I guess they are saying that the entire building is off-limits and prohibited because there is a courtroom in the building. But being that the court room is upstairs and everything downstairs is open public space used for County Clerk and tax assessor I would not think that code pertained to the entire building. Especially since the signage is only on this one particular side door and not the main entrance or the other side of the building side door.

Improper signage?

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

File a report so Paxton can add it to his pile. The only way we're going to come out ahead on this is if he can walk into court with a long list of abuses.

Secondarily the bigger the pile the strong the argument for getting the legislature to clarify and solve the problem for us in the next session. You know if we can get something passed restricting their ability to restrict our rights Abbott will put his John Henry on it before the ink is even dry on the bill.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

WildRose wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:21 am File a report so Paxton can add it to his pile. The only way we're going to come out ahead on this is if he can walk into court with a long list of abuses.

Secondarily the bigger the pile the strong the argument for getting the legislature to clarify and solve the problem for us in the next session. You know if we can get something passed restricting their ability to restrict our rights Abbott will put his John Henry on it before the ink is even dry on the bill.
Where do I go to file this infraction?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I've never seen any kind of signs on my local tax assessor collectors office. I've been in there many times and I've looked on the door, behind the counters, adjacent walls and i've never seen anything.
NRA Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 pm
Odinvalknir wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 pm I guess I answered my own question. There's a court room on the 2nd floor. I didnt think government buildings as a whole were prohibited, just the court itself
This is the crux of the case between the city of Austin and the Attorney General. Paxton says, like you do, that it is only the actual rooms and areas used by the court. Austin says the whole building. We are, as a general rule, waiting for the court to make a final decision so we can have a guideline how to read the law from here on.
This case is still in the trial court and has not concluded yet. There is another hearing on 03 Dec 18. However, so far the judge has ruled that a if a building has a court or offices of the court in it then licensed carry may be prohibited throughout the entire building...BUT...ONLY when the court is in session. So if you file a complaint, be sure to NOTE THE TIME(S) that you were there and the sign was posted (or that they told you you couldn't carry). If you are really energetic, you could find out for your self if court is in session, and go when you know it is not.
USAF 1982-2005

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:47 am
WildRose wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:21 am File a report so Paxton can add it to his pile. The only way we're going to come out ahead on this is if he can walk into court with a long list of abuses.

Where do I go to file this infraction?
There's a whole thread on it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77921

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

WildRose wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 am

There's a whole thread on it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77921
I had thought so, but couldn't remember where I had seen it. Thanks

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”