New Resident Questions--HELP!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TXHawk
Posts in topic: 2

New Resident Questions--HELP!

Post by TXHawk »

I recently moved to TX from another state (KS) which is Constitutional Carry although I do possess a valid LTC from Kansas. I want to gain my TX LTC as quickly as possible but I have to confess the laws here seem to be far more rigid than Kansas and residency/non-residency language has me confused. A call to the AG office was of little help.

I see I have to be a resident of TX for six month. The noted exception is if I intend to "establish residence" with the proper proof and then I can get a non-resident LTC. The issue is I already have my TX DL. I bought my house in late July but did not get my TX DL until September. So which "proves" residency? Is there no provision that allows me to immediately apply after taking the required course work and shooting test since I have license from a reciprocal state? It just seems odd to me a non resident looking to establish residency can get an LTC but if I am reading the statutes I cannot since I made the "mistake" of getting a TX DL already and will need to wait until either December or March 2019 depending on what document proves residency.

BTW I am THRILLED to become a Texan so none of the above is a complaint as much as confusion as to the laws. I have waited many years to make it to TX and never plan on leaving!

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Resident Questions--HELP!

Post by RoyGBiv »

I would describe your situation as being in the process of establishing residency.
I believe the intent of the "establishing residency" language a few years ago was to do away with the waiting period.

IMO, I would apply for a resident permit.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

infoman

Post by infoman »

There is no residency requirement here at all. You don’t have to worry about that what so ever.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

infoman wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:16 am There is no residency requirement here at all. You don’t have to worry about that what so ever.
Pretty much all you need to do is to do a change of address. This can be done online.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TXHawk wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm I recently moved to TX from another state (KS) which is Constitutional Carry although I do possess a valid LTC from Kansas. I want to gain my TX LTC as quickly as possible but I have to confess the laws here seem to be far more rigid than Kansas and residency/non-residency language has me confused. A call to the AG office was of little help.

I see I have to be a resident of TX for six month. The noted exception is if I intend to "establish residence" with the proper proof and then I can get a non-resident LTC. The issue is I already have my TX DL. I bought my house in late July but did not get my TX DL until September. So which "proves" residency? Is there no provision that allows me to immediately apply after taking the required course work and shooting test since I have license from a reciprocal state? It just seems odd to me a non resident looking to establish residency can get an LTC but if I am reading the statutes I cannot since I made the "mistake" of getting a TX DL already and will need to wait until either December or March 2019 depending on what document proves residency.

BTW I am THRILLED to become a Texan so none of the above is a complaint as much as confusion as to the laws. I have waited many years to make it to TX and never plan on leaving!

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Texas. I moved here in April a couple of years ago and got my LTC in June that year. The 6 month thing is confusing but doesn’t prevent you from getting your LTC now.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
TXHawk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXHawk »

Fantastic! Thank you for the great info!
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”