Well... there goes Constitutional Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Well... there goes Constitutional Carry

Post by AJSully421 »

Blew a potential 21-10 margin in the Texas Senate for 2019 with at least Burton and Huffines losing to democrats. So that is 19-12 - exactly enough for the 3/5 required to pass a bill... but wait, Sen. Huffman is extremely weak on the 2A. Don't think so? Question: Why can't you open carry on a college Campus with a LTC? Answer: Senator Joan Huffman. So yeah, weak.

You can kiss getting rid of 46.035 goodbye as well.

Fiddlesticks...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Well... there goes Constitutional Carry

Post by jordanmills »

Become volunteer emergency services personnel.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AJSully421 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:07 am Blew a potential 21-10 margin in the Texas Senate for 2019 with at least Burton and Huffines losing to democrats. So that is 19-12 - exactly enough for the 3/5 required to pass a bill... but wait, Sen. Huffman is extremely weak on the 2A. Don't think so? Question: Why can't you open carry on a college Campus with a LTC? Answer: Senator Joan Huffman. So yeah, weak.

Fiddlesticks...
Last session, the Senate voted to reduce the votes needed to bring a bill to the floor from 21 to 19. They can and will most likely do it again setting a number below 19. As long as the Republicans have a majority, their bills will be debated and voted.

Sen. Huffman will not do anything that Lt. Gov. Patrick doesn't want done.

All that said, 2019 will be a very unproductive year compared to what we normally accomplish. With a new Speaker coming in, everything will be delayed for weeks. I know, I know, people don't like recognition resolutions and introductions, but they have always been a fact of life. That's not going away.

Chas.

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

Republicans still have a majority. It didn't go anywhere when they had a bigger majority, so probably it goes nowhere next year again.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Gator Guy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm Republicans still have a majority. It didn't go anywhere when they had a bigger majority, so probably it goes nowhere next year again.
We passed pro-gun bills in 2017 and we killed all anti-gun bills. Those that passed included a reduction of the LTC fee from $140 to $40 and that's a huge improvement.

Some of our more important bills didn't get a committee vote or floor debate because of two people: Speaker Straus or Lt. Gov. Patrick. Majorities are certainly important, but never underestimate the impact that the Speaker and Lt. Gov. have on legislation. Anything they truly support passes in their chamber; anything they oppose dies.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm We passed pro-gun bills in 2017 and we killed all anti-gun bills. Those that passed included a reduction of the LTC fee from $140 to $40 and that's a huge improvement.

Some of our more important bills didn't get a committee vote or floor debate because of two people: Speaker Straus or Lt. Gov. Patrick. Majorities are certainly important, but never underestimate the impact that the Speaker and Lt. Gov. have on legislation. Anything they truly support passes in their chamber; anything they oppose dies.

Chas.
I am grateful for the first part of your post but saddened by the second part.... 2 people run it? Seems EXTREMELY narrow and not too representative. :confused5

Topic author
AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

jordanmills wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 pm Become volunteer emergency services personnel.
I’m already a part owner of a Security Company and am always on duty, so only subject to 46.03 myself.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

Topic author
AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm
AJSully421 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:07 am Blew a potential 21-10 margin in the Texas Senate for 2019 with at least Burton and Huffines losing to democrats. So that is 19-12 - exactly enough for the 3/5 required to pass a bill... but wait, Sen. Huffman is extremely weak on the 2A. Don't think so? Question: Why can't you open carry on a college Campus with a LTC? Answer: Senator Joan Huffman. So yeah, weak.

Fiddlesticks...
Last session, the Senate voted to reduce the votes needed to bring a bill to the floor from 21 to 19. They can and will most likely do it again setting a number below 19. As long as the Republicans have a majority, their bills will be debated and voted.

Sen. Huffman will not do anything that Lt. Gov. Patrick doesn't want done.

All that said, 2019 will be a very unproductive year compared to what we normally accomplish. With a new Speaker coming in, everything will be delayed for weeks. I know, I know, people don't like recognition resolutions and introductions, but they have always been a fact of life. That's not going away.

Chas.
That makes me feel better.

infoman

Post by infoman »

I’m glad we don’t have constitutional carry. I like that LTC holders must pass a background check based on current standards in LTC law book. I’d rather not open the door wide open for any & everyone to freely carry wherever they like. Sorry, but if you get convicted of a DWI, I’m glad you’re not eligible for 5 years. (as an example) You have a title 5 felony def adj, I’m glad you’re disqualified for life. (another example).

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

infoman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm I’m glad we don’t have constitutional carry. I like that LTC holders must pass a background check based on current standards in LTC law book. I’d rather not open the door wide open for any & everyone to freely carry wherever they like. Sorry, but if you get convicted of a DWI, I’m glad you’re not eligible for 5 years. (as an example) You have a title 5 felony def adj, I’m glad you’re disqualified for life. (another example).
Just out of curiosity, could you explain exactly what DWI has to do with carrying a pistol? I have problems with the whole concept of deferred adjudication, but I have an even bigger problem with losing any rights for a crime I was found not guilty of (which is what the end result of deferred adjudication is).

Do yu have any other rights you think you should be licensed before you can exercise?
Steve Rothstein

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

We have open CC here in NM. Blood has not run in the streets. I have only seen 5 people OC since it went into effect ( three of those were from one family shopping together). Conceled Carry requires a license.

TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexanVeteran »

srothstein wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:10 am
infoman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm I’m glad we don’t have constitutional carry. I like that LTC holders must pass a background check based on current standards in LTC law book. I’d rather not open the door wide open for any & everyone to freely carry wherever they like. Sorry, but if you get convicted of a DWI, I’m glad you’re not eligible for 5 years. (as an example) You have a title 5 felony def adj, I’m glad you’re disqualified for life. (another example).
Just out of curiosity, could you explain exactly what DWI has to do with carrying a pistol? I have problems with the whole concept of deferred adjudication, but I have an even bigger problem with losing any rights for a crime I was found not guilty of (which is what the end result of deferred adjudication is).

Do yu have any other rights you think you should be licensed before you can exercise?
I agree with the initially quote here, and here's why. If someone will drink and drive, what is to stop them from drinking (getting drunk) and recklessly firing their weapon anywhere? I think the 5 year thing may be a little much, but I do like that they have to wait.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

TexanVeteran wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 pm I agree with the initially quote here, and here's why. If someone will drink and drive, what is to stop them from drinking (getting drunk) and recklessly firing their weapon anywhere? I think the 5 year thing may be a little much, but I do like that they have to wait.
I understand your thinking, and I agree that there are some people I do not think should be carrying. But I also think it is a right and our rights should not be impaired.

Suppose someone else thinks that because you sometimes cannot control yourself and travel at an excessive speed, you should not be allowed to carry because it is a sign you may be impulsive with your weapon? They then say that no one with a speeding ticket can get a license for five years. Would you also support that? How do you draw a line that says what is allowed to interfere with the right?

I prefer to defend our rights as rights that do not need government or anyone else's permission. There is an old saying that the best way to defend my rights is to defend yours. I don't drink and drive, but I don't know what behavior someone else will try to use as an excuse to interfere with my rights, so I try to protect those who do to keep my ability secure. I do not expect to see it soon (or possibly in my lifetime) but I want us to keep working towards repealing Chapter 46, the federal GCA of 1968, and the NFA of 1934, especially the closure of the registry from the FOPA of 1986.
Steve Rothstein

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

South Dakotans may soon be able to carry concealed handguns without a permit

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south- ... t-a-permit
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Others bad behavior reminds when I was in Army Basic Training.

One guy screwed up so 199 of us were punished...dumb.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”