I'm Very glad I live in Texas!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve W
Posts in topic: 1

I'm Very glad I live in Texas!

Post by Steve W »

This week I traveled to New Mexico to see family. I read up on the New Mexico laws for carry and didn't think they were very restrictive. Boy was I wrong!

Any no gun sign in New Mexico is enforceable. Any Restaurant that serves drinks is off limits... The usual federal buildings and post offices are the same as Texas so no big deal there..

I was traveling in our motor coach, solo, and found that the map app on my phone was not really good enough for driving a 44 foot coach around on unfamiliar streets. I decided to buy a GPS more suitable and stopped in at the Roswell Walmart... You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the small 8 x 10 sign with red letters "NO GUNS" posted on the front door. :rules: After reading it twice to make sure, :shock: I did an about face and drove away. They lost about 700.00 in sales that day.

Once I arrived in Ruidoso I stopped by the local Walmart and found they also had the same sign on the front door... They lost about 1000.00 in sales from me that day.

I thought Walmart was a great store. In New Mexico they are not! The Target store in Roswell was not posted and gladly took my money, thanked me for shopping with them and bid me safe travels.. Walmart would not even let me in the door...

So far today I should have just left my weapon in the motor coach safe. Lunch was a great little Mexican food restaurant that did not served alcohol. :thumbs2: Problem was they are right smack in the middle of the Indian Reservation where I can't carry.. :banghead: .... My brother needed some items so, of course, drove to Walmart, where I sat in the truck. :mad5 Dinner was at a hamburger place where they served drinks so the holster came back off and stayed in the truck. :banghead:

New Mexico needs to take lessons from Texas where the 30.06, 30.07 and 51% signs are in use. While not perfect they sure beat the heck out of New Mexico's system.

Friday I cross the line back into Texas and I'm sitting here counting the minutes!

SigM4

Re: I'm Very glad I live in Texas!

Post by SigM4 »

Steve W wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:02 am Any Restaurant that serves drinks is off limits...
Just to clarify, so long as the restaurant is only licensed to serve beer and wine and derives more than 60% of their revenue from food sales then you’re fine. Hard liquor is the determining factor, though it may be a distinction without a difference as I hardly see these types of places around anymore. Maybe a local hamburger shop or pizzeria might be setup as such. More often than not anymore if a restaurant is going to offer a bar they go all in.

Still, just wanted to make that point for everyone who may see this.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Apparently, those signs at Wal Mart are intended for Wal Mart associates and vendors and do not effect a licensed carrier. I have yet to see a “no guns “ sign in a NM Wal Mart.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86563

already had this discussion a couple years back.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

We spent July in a very small town in Northern NM. The nearest Wal-Mart is 50 miles away but it is in Colorado so no problems with CC. But I will weigh in on the NM sign issue. The only good restaurant in our little town had a "no guns" sign that actually wasn't attached to anything and leaned against the glass in one of the front windows. It was 8"x10". Some days it was there, other days it wasn't. It wasn't alone - they had other signs that that leaned against the window and every day they would be in a different position. It wasn't clear to me what they were trying to accomplish.

The only grocery store in town sold liquor by the bottle. It had the big sign like the 30.06 sign on both front doors - but without the license disclaimer that was passed a couple of years ago. The correct sign with the disclaimer was placed over the actually liquor sales area. Again, I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish. But as a tourist, I wasn't about to ask question. Like many other places, there is a love/hate relationship with tourists. They need tourists to survive but don't like the attitudes of many who visit their town.

An interesting point is that the town doesn't have its own police force. It is served by the State police. It isn't clear how they feel about residents of other States carrying in town. I decided that the "concealed is concealed" is the best approach. We've been in the restaurant when one of the State police officers came in with his family. If he had been by himself, I might have struck up a conversation and included that topic.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

OTOH, New Mexico state parks offer site-specific reservations whereas Texas does NOT. Just sayin;....

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

Oldgringo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am OTOH, New Mexico state parks offer site-specific reservations whereas Texas does NOT. Just sayin;....

That's coming. First of 2019 IIRC.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jmorris wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am OTOH, New Mexico state parks offer site-specific reservations whereas Texas does NOT. Just sayin;....

That's coming. First of 2019 IIRC.
It's been coming for about 3 years. Maybe We will finally get what all surrounding state and federal parks already have next year?

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

What is a “site specific reservation”? Thanks

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

txbirddog wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm

In the Texas system you make a reservation for a type (tent, RV, etc) and an area (if there's more than one), then when you show up you get assigned a campsite. In site specific systems you get to choose the actual campsite.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jmorris wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 am
txbirddog wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm

In the Texas system you make a reservation for a type (tent, RV, etc) and an area (if there's more than one), then when you show up you get assigned a campsite. In site specific systems you get to choose the actual campsite.
IOW, in Texas, you get what no one else wanted who got there before you. The backward and outdated Texas park reservation system really sucks! :mad5

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Isn't there public land in NM where you can shoot targets, etc?
There is nothing like that in Texas...
I'd drive quite a ways for that, but not all the way to NM from Houston.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”