Medications and CHL question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Medications and CHL question

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 pm
mupepe wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm I currently have a valid CHL for another 3 years before renewal.

My job is getting stressful. The anxiety is keeping me from sleeping and really starting to get to me.

My doctor suggested Xanax. I told him no for now because I don’t know if that would disqualify me being prescribed Xanax. It’s not depression or anything. Simply anxiety. Come renewal time will I be get denied if I go on it?
Time for a new doctor. Xanax is a very BAD drug. I know of no anti-anxiety drugs that are not addicting. Change jobs. These drugs will ruin your life.
THC (weed) is supposed to be Non-Habit forming, at least physically. but that cause LTC licensing issues.

It's been my observation that as Legal Medical Marijuana spreads into states, that the cases of clinically diagnosed anxiety increases in those states.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

CBD oil works for anxiety for me. I used to take xanax and i hate the stuff. CBD is a nice safe alternative, but like with any herbal remedy results may vary. Also if you go the CBD route make sure you don't get the full spectrum CBD oil as it will likely show up on certain drug tests as a false positive. Urinalysis tests should be fine, but it'll probably show up on hair folicle drug tests.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:08 am
rotor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 pm
mupepe wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm I currently have a valid CHL for another 3 years before renewal.

My job is getting stressful. The anxiety is keeping me from sleeping and really starting to get to me.

My doctor suggested Xanax. I told him no for now because I don’t know if that would disqualify me being prescribed Xanax. It’s not depression or anything. Simply anxiety. Come renewal time will I be get denied if I go on it?
Time for a new doctor. Xanax is a very BAD drug. I know of no anti-anxiety drugs that are not addicting. Change jobs. These drugs will ruin your life.
THC (weed) is supposed to be Non-Habit forming, at least physically. but that cause LTC licensing issues.

It's been my observation that as Legal Medical Marijuana spreads into states, that the cases of clinically diagnosed anxiety increases in those states.
THC is the psychoactive element to weed CBD is the opposite. ying and yang if you will. they sell just CBD oil with 0 THC in it so you get the calming effects of the CBD without the psychoactive effects of the THC.
NRA Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

It's not clear that CBD oil is legal under federal law, hence a user of it could be a prohibited possessor under federal law and thereby ineligible to maintain a Texas LTC.

Back to the original question, I see no mention of lawful use benzodiazapines such as Xanax in GC 411 regarding eligibility for a LTC, nor any mention regarding suffering anxiety as a disqualifier. Whether use of these drugs is a good treatment, I'll leave to the discretion of the medical experts. From the preceding posts it seems they can be very addictive and care in their use is certainly warranted. I was once prescribed a very
short course of lorazipam (3day), however I chose not to take it as it seemed the original need for it had passed.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

As others said, GC §411 doesn't say anything regarding suffering anxiety as a disqualifier for a LTC.

What hasn't been said, and is just as important, is GC §411 says "diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from" one of the listed psychiatric disorders or conditions. The diagnosis is what's important, not whether or not the physician prescribes drugs, and not whether or not the patient takes the drugs.

If somebody was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, they won't gain LTC eligibility by going off their meds.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mupepe »

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I’ve been struggling for years to deal with this through different remedies. Changing jobs is not an option because frankly I have a very well paying office job with no degree that I had to work years to get. Leaving would mean starting over again and destroying the standard of living we have worked for. I used to cope through various activities like exercise and hobbies, but outside of exercise I have no time for the hobbies lately. I have nightmares about work at this point. I like the people, I like what I would do and I know I can handle it if I have the proper outlet.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

mupepe wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I’ve been struggling for years to deal with this through different remedies. Changing jobs is not an option because frankly I have a very well paying office job with no degree that I had to work years to get. Leaving would mean starting over again and destroying the standard of living we have worked for. I used to cope through various activities like exercise and hobbies, but outside of exercise I have no time for the hobbies lately. I have nightmares about work at this point. I like the people, I like what I would do and I know I can handle it if I have the proper outlet.
Xanax and other anti-anxiety drugs are not the proper outlet. Beware of starting a new problem that will be harder to overcome, addiction. As far as I know you only go around once and if all you are getting is anxiety this go around you need to consider something else no matter what. When you reach the end of this existence will you be able to look back and say you were happy? I am 75 and can say yes. I don't have an easy answer for you and wish you the best of luck. Just don't look for the answer in drugs.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:04 pm It's not clear that CBD oil is legal under federal law, hence a user of it could be a prohibited possessor under federal law and thereby ineligible to maintain a Texas LTC.
I don't know much of the specifics and certainly don't recommend it. I was responding to the comment, " Xanax is a very BAD drug. I know of no anti-anxiety drugs that are not addicting".

I know people that are prescribed cannabis for anxiety, they claim that it works. I personally suspect that they just like getting high. Medical and recreational use can be hard to separate. Although I must confess that sometimes alcohol has had a positive medical effect on me at times, while most other times it's just a recreational pleasure.

I wasn't aware it was the CBD component that was effective for anxiety treatment, those I'm familiar with go "full bud", THC and all. These people are in a very gun restricted state. I suppose their freedoms lie elsewhere.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

If your job is the problem, don’t sell yourself short on the chances of finding another job. Are there other companies in the same line of business? (Do you work in the oil patch, by any chance?). You have been successful where you are; there are probably other companies that would value your experience.

Can you talk to your boss about your situation (assuming he/she isn’t the source of the problem)? Maybe they could give you some help? I’m making guesses and assumptions, but it would be best to address the real cause of the problem, rather than treating the symptoms. Also, most jobs are filled through personal connections, so, if possible, try getting to know (networking with) people in your line of work with other companies.

I hope things get better for you.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

mupepe wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I’ve been struggling for years to deal with this through different remedies. Changing jobs is not an option because frankly I have a very well paying office job with no degree that I had to work years to get. Leaving would mean starting over again and destroying the standard of living we have worked for. I used to cope through various activities like exercise and hobbies, but outside of exercise I have no time for the hobbies lately. I have nightmares about work at this point. I like the people, I like what I would do and I know I can handle it if I have the proper outlet.
when you reach the point of having nightmares about work, you have a problem with work. Trust those of us who are older, we've been there, done that. Start laying the groundwork for changing jobs. Networking will help. You need a new job. You're doing yourself, your wife, your family no good working at a job that is making you so sick that you need to get on meds to keep working at. As a wife I can tell you that she would rather have you healthy and work at a job that is less stressful and have you earning less than you keep working in your current job and make yourself sick.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mupepe »

Thanks everyone. I do work in the oil and gas industry. I like my work, I like the people I work with and my company treats me well for the most part. But ever since the downturn I guess they realized they can survive with less of a workforce. I’m also currently in school for a mechanical engineering degree. I’m in my early 30’s so I know I still have time to switch gears.

My wife recently finished school while I supported us both and she has said I also have that opportunity now. That fear of change is huge. I mostly want to talk to someone about this, even if it’s a psychologist or therapist or something. I was worried they’d want to medicate me and I’d lose my CHL. That is not something I want to do at all. I take my right to carry very seriously. I would prefer to do it without drugs. Exercise has been my outlet for years but it doesn’t seem to do the trick anymore and as I mentioned previously several of my other outlets are no longer feasible.

I watch plenty of folks at work take pill after pill and I really don’t want that to be me so I appreciate all your advice and I am taking it to heart. I’m going to do what I can to alleviate these feelings others ways. I had a long talk with my wife about it today and opened up about how bad it’s been for me recently and that felt very good. I admitted some irrational fears I have and how they drive me insane inside. It feels like being able to tell her is a good start for now.

Thanks again for all the advice.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

mupepe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Thanks everyone. I do work in the oil and gas industry. I like my work, I like the people I work with and my company treats me well for the most part. But ever since the downturn I guess they realized they can survive with less of a workforce. I’m also currently in school for a mechanical engineering degree. I’m in my early 30’s so I know I still have time to switch gears.

My wife recently finished school while I supported us both and she has said I also have that opportunity now. That fear of change is huge. I mostly want to talk to someone about this, even if it’s a psychologist or therapist or something. I was worried they’d want to medicate me and I’d lose my CHL. That is not something I want to do at all. I take my right to carry very seriously. I would prefer to do it without drugs. Exercise has been my outlet for years but it doesn’t seem to do the trick anymore and as I mentioned previously several of my other outlets are no longer feasible.

I watch plenty of folks at work take pill after pill and I really don’t want that to be me so I appreciate all your advice and I am taking it to heart. I’m going to do what I can to alleviate these feelings others ways. I had a long talk with my wife about it today and opened up about how bad it’s been for me recently and that felt very good. I admitted some irrational fears I have and how they drive me insane inside. It feels like being able to tell her is a good start for now.

Thanks again for all the advice.
sounds like you've got a good plan. keep talking to her, that will be the best thing for you and for your marriage.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

The last few years have been very rough for a lot of people in the oil & gas business. I was terrified as I saw so many of my co-workers laid-off, and wondered if I was next. My company was deep in debt, cutting workers, salaries, and benefits. How would I support my family if I lost my job at near retirement age? I spent over a year looking for another job with a better company, and finally got a similar position at a smaller, more stable company. I got the new job through connections with former co-workers who been laid-off in the downturn, but had found new jobs. As things picked up, they recommended me at their new company. Although I couldn’t see it when I was so scared, there are a lot of opportunities out there for responsible, contientous, hard working people, and there always will be. Your whole life and career are still ahead of you.

P.M. me if you want to talk. I think SewTexas’ advice is right on target.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Liberty wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pmI wasn't aware it was the CBD component that was effective for anxiety treatment, those I'm familiar with go "full bud", THC and all. These people are in a very gun restricted state. I suppose their freedoms lie elsewhere.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

Grundy1133 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am CBD oil works for anxiety for me. I used to take xanax and i hate the stuff. CBD is a nice safe alternative, but like with any herbal remedy results may vary.
https://forsundayscaries.com ?
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”