06 / 07 on same sign?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

06 / 07 on same sign?

Post by LDB415 »

Can a single sign be used for both 06 and 07 in a single wording or does each one need it's own individual sign to be valid? IOW, Pursuant to 30.06 & 30.07 etc etc exactly like that, not a really large single sign with Pursuant to 30.06 etc. and below that Pursuant to 30.07 etc..
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LucasMcCain

Re: 06 / 07 on same sign?

Post by LucasMcCain »

As the wording requirements are extremely specific, changing the wording by combining the two signs would make the sign non-compliant. That said, IANAL, and a case like this has not gone to court to my knowledge. If possible, I would take my business elsewhere when faced with a sign like you describe. If not possible, I would probably carry concealed past it. Under no circumstances would I point out to the owners that the sign is wrong. Hope this helps.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree: with Lucas. That doesn't stop some places from trying...

This pic is from the Baylor hospital in Rockwall.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:18 pm :iagree: with Lucas. That doesn't stop some places from trying...

I don't believe that this sign is enforceable as the wording is not even in contrasting colors, and it is not specific to the requirments of 30.06 and 30.07. However, I would not challenge it before getting legal advice on the matter. Perhaps there is an organization that can help (make them) follow the requirements set forth in the legislation.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:15 pm
Pawpaw wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:18 pm :iagree: with Lucas. That doesn't stop some places from trying...

I don't believe that this sign is enforceable as the wording is not even in contrasting colors, and it is not specific to the requirments of 30.06 and 30.07. However, I would not challenge it before getting legal advice on the matter. Perhaps there is an organization that can help (make them) follow the requirements set forth in the legislation.
I agree with not "challenging" the sign. I would simply carry, as normal, if I chose to visit such a location. I'm assuming that your use of the word "challenge" here would involve something along the lines of talking to the property owners about whether their sign is valid. That is always a terrible idea. If a sign meets the requirements of 30.06 or 30.07 then it is valid. If it doesn't, then it is precisely the same as there being no sign at all.

Why would anyone want an organization to "make" a company follow the requirements of 30.06 / 30.07? Frankly, I'm not even sure what you mean by this. The company in question had an option to post a valid sign. But they chose not to do so. That is perfectly legal and allowable. There is no "requirement" for anyone to post valid 30.06 / 30.07 signage, as far as I know.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

That one really surprises me, because all the Baylor S&W places in Waco are valid posted.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

I thought Security Service Federal Credit Union was the only one trying to get away with that sign. Wonder if some sign company is pushing that.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Texas Health Resouces hospital, not Baylor S&W.

Logo is different and check the mat.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I know that the Emergency room entrance for Dallas Children's Hospital is one big combined 06/07 making it very invalid!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm I know that the Emergency room entrance for Dallas Children's Hospital is one big combined 06/07 making it very invalid!
You gotta love invalid signs. Some of them are very cute, indeed. I saw an interesting sign on a recent trip that said "firearms are not permitted on these premises". I took that to mean exactly what it said, that the firearms present at that location did not have "permits".

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm I know that the Emergency room entrance for Dallas Children's Hospital is one big combined 06/07 making it very invalid!
You gotta love invalid signs. Some of them are very cute, indeed. I saw an interesting sign on a recent trip that said "firearms are not permitted on these premises". I took that to mean exactly what it said, that the firearms present at that location did not have "permits".
What they meant was you couldn't get a permit for a firearm there.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:30 pm
What they meant was you couldn't get a permit for a firearm there.
Yes, that does make more sense now that I look at the exact wording.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

Here's one that would be correct - a single sign with verbiage of both on it. I wish it was required if posting both: One yuge big sign with all four correct verbiages.

Ron
NRA Member

rtschl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rtschl »

rtschl wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:18 pm Here's one that would be correct - a single sign with verbiage of both on it. I wish it was required if posting both: One yuge big sign with all four (English and Spanish) correct verbiages.

Ron
NRA Member

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

LDB415 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm Can a single sign be used for both 06 and 07 in a single wording or does each one need it's own individual sign to be valid? IOW, Pursuant to 30.06 & 30.07 etc etc exactly like that, not a really large single sign with Pursuant to 30.06 etc. and below that Pursuant to 30.07 etc..
The law states what the sign must have, but does not state anything it cannot have. As long as the requirements are met (all wording is exact, block letters at least 1" high, contrasting colors, etc) it is valid, even if they combine the two into one sign - that combined sign is still "a sign posted on the property that: (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish; (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height;  and (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public," even though it also has the other language. In the same way, they can add a title ("firearms prohibited," "concealed carry prohibited," etc), a gunbuster logo, their company logo, etc. As long as it meets the other requirements, it passes.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”