Government shutdown

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Government shutdown

Post by bblhd672 »

Suri wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm We should all care; there might be some nice governmental employees...
I know there are...had lunch Sunday after church with one. Talked to several others. Most understand that they are being used as pawns by everyone involved and just want to return to work. However, more than one of them expressed frustration at the large numbers of federal employees who do nothing, are truly "non-essential" and are nothing but a burden on the taxpayers.

The growth of our federal government is and has been out of control for decades. So has the lack of serious security of our borders against invaders from other countries. It's time to solve both problems. Cut federal employees and return them to the private job sector. Build the wall, hire, arm and train enough personnel to enforce border security with no nonsense rules of engagement.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

G26ster
Posts in topic: 10

Post by G26ster »

Suri wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm
rotor wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 pm
Suri wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm
tbrown wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm The past month shows there are way too many people on the Federal payroll.
We're talking about the FBI being impaired. Let's do an audit instead of just hampering it to see what might happen.
See https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/new-yo ... ed-032718
I was in the military during one of these shutdowns and didn't get paid, all about abortion at that time. You suck up and keep working. I don't feel very sorry about any federal employee not getting paid until this is over. They WILL get paid. Good time for them to sit down, write a letter to their congresspeople and tell them to work with Trump. Or they can wait forever to get paid. I personally don't care. Especially for people in the IRS. Have you ever dealt with an IRS employee?
Thanks for you service. I did some service too and got along ok without money sometimes (as a teenager I was not very frugal) but food and lodging were not a problem. So you can't compare your situation with all of the 800,000 that are going unpaid. We should all care; there might be some nice governmental employees...
I have to say that's not entirely true. As a young enlisted man in Korea, room and board furnished, sure, no problem not being paid. But as a Staff Sargent when I returned, I had a wife, a child, a Mobile home payment, a car payment, insurance, furnished my own food for myself and family, etc. If I didn't get paid, I'd be in one heck of a pickle. Same when I joined the officer ranks and then had two kids. So, it's not accurate to say one can't compare that with the 800,000 not being paid now.

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

G26ster wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Suri wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm
rotor wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 pm
Suri wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm
tbrown wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm The past month shows there are way too many people on the Federal payroll.
We're talking about the FBI being impaired. Let's do an audit instead of just hampering it to see what might happen.
See https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/new-yo ... ed-032718
I was in the military during one of these shutdowns and didn't get paid, all about abortion at that time. You suck up and keep working. I don't feel very sorry about any federal employee not getting paid until this is over. They WILL get paid. Good time for them to sit down, write a letter to their congresspeople and tell them to work with Trump. Or they can wait forever to get paid. I personally don't care. Especially for people in the IRS. Have you ever dealt with an IRS employee?
Thanks for you service. I did some service too and got along ok without money sometimes (as a teenager I was not very frugal) but food and lodging were not a problem. So you can't compare your situation with all of the 800,000 that are going unpaid. We should all care; there might be some nice governmental employees...
I have to say that's not entirely true. As a young enlisted man in Korea, room and board furnished, sure, no problem not being paid. But as a Staff Sargent when I returned, I had a wife, a child, a Mobile home payment, a car payment, insurance, furnished my own food for myself and family, etc. If I didn't get paid, I'd be in one heck of a pickle. Same when I joined the officer ranks and then had two kids. So, it's not accurate to say one can't compare that with the 800,000 not being paid now.
My point being that military should always be paid as they are essential to the survival of our country. How many of the 800,000 on furlough are essential? I am sure that life is tough for them right now so they can write their congress people and demand that Nancy Pelosi sit down and bargain because I don't think Trump will end this first, at least I hope not.

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jrs_diesel »

Most of the military are getting paid. That is, the branches that fall under DOD. They were funded prior to this shutdown happening.

The Coast Guard is not getting paid at all, since they are not part of DOD. They fall under DHS.
J.R.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 10

Post by G26ster »

Why do I get the feeling Dale has returned :roll:

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

G26ster wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:09 am Why do I get the feeling Dale has returned :roll:
I had the same thought. Too many similarities.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

G26ster wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:09 am Why do I get the feeling Dale has returned :roll:
I hope you're not referring to me there :confused5
J.R.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

jrs_diesel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:21 pm
I hope you're not referring to me there :confused5
No, it was in reference to a now non member.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

jason812 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm
No, it was in reference to a now non member.
:)

I remember that guy, even had him blocked so I didn't see his posts, before he got the boot.

I don't post here too often so I wasn't sure if G26ster's comment was directed toward me or not.
J.R.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

How the Wall Became America's Dividing Line
http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019/01 ... -line.html

RTWT
A breakdown in border security is not only a physical breakdown, it’s a moral collapse. We aren’t lacking in the physical resources that are needed to construct a wall and to secure the border. America was able to secure the border in lower tech times with fewer resources and less money. And we regularly waste far more money on useless things than the cost of that “immoral” wall.

What we lack are the moral resources to secure the border. The struggle over the shutdown is not a battle over resources, but a struggle over morals.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”