Situation: 2am "visitor"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 4

Situation: 2am "visitor"

Post by LucasMcCain »

Had a situation last night. Just want some input on whether I should have done anything differently.

At 2 am my wife woke me up saying she thought someone was knocking on our door. We're in an apartment while our house is being repaired because of the house fire we had. I woke up, and whoever it was started banging really hard on the door. Pants go on, gun goes on hip, go to the door. I try to look out the peephole and whoever it is is covering it. I said in a loud voice "I don't know you and there is nothing in here you want." The person immediately left quickly, but he kept his finger over the peephole as long as possible so I couldn't get a look at him. I stayed up for a bit because my adrenaline was up, and the rest of the night was uneventful.

If it weren't for him covering the peephole, I would assume it was just some drunk at the wrong apartment. As it was, the whole thing kinda creeped me out. I thought it was weird that he never said anything too. Thoughts? Constructive criticism?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Situation: 2am "visitor"

Post by philip964 »

Sounds like you did great. Would have creeped me out totally.
Wow finger over peephole. Definitely someone up to no good.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

LucasMcCain wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am Had a situation last night. Just want some input on whether I should have done anything differently.

At 2 am my wife woke me up saying she thought someone was knocking on our door. We're in an apartment while our house is being repaired because of the house fire we had. I woke up, and whoever it was started banging really hard on the door. Pants go on, gun goes on hip, go to the door. I try to look out the peephole and whoever it is is covering it. I said in a loud voice "I don't know you and there is nothing in here you want." The person immediately left quickly, but he kept his finger over the peephole as long as possible so I couldn't get a look at him. I stayed up for a bit because my adrenaline was up, and the rest of the night was uneventful.

If it weren't for him covering the peephole, I would assume it was just some drunk at the wrong apartment. As it was, the whole thing kinda creeped me out. I thought it was weird that he never said anything too. Thoughts? Constructive criticism?
Put a camera outside that door. Do you know if that visitor tried any other apartments?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Report the incident to apartment management, in writing.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I wonder if he was looking for someone else? you said he ran when you called out? he heard a male voice and left? makes me think he was expecting a female? (just pondering)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am Put a camera outside that door. Do you know if that visitor tried any other apartments?
I don't currently have one I could do that with. Planning to get a Ring doorbell or something similar on the house when we move back in. Should be in a few weeks. It looked like he just took off. I didn't hear any more banging, and you definitely hear it if it's anywhere in the same building.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 am Report the incident to apartment management, in writing.
That is an excellent idea. I didn't even think of that.

EDIT: Letter written. Will drop it off at the office after work.

Let's go Brandon.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I would report it to the cops. They are unlikely to do, or be able to do, much just on your report, but there may be other reports in the neighborhood that indicate a pattern.

Overall I think you did well.

ETA: I would not necessarily expect the apartment management to tell the police.
USAF 1982-2005

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

ELB wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm I would report it to the cops. They are unlikely to do, or be able to do, much just on your report, but there may be other reports in the neighborhood that indicate a pattern.

ETA: I would not necessarily expect the apartment management to tell the police.
:iagree:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

ELB wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm I would report it to the cops. They are unlikely to do, or be able to do, much just on your report, but there may be other reports in the neighborhood that indicate a pattern.

:iagree: I would add the there is always the possibility that it IS the police on the other side of the door to a much greater extent that would be at 2am in your house. While I realize that it was an isolated incident, the shooting of the apartment resident by a Dallas officer, even though she was off duty reminds me that not just criminals might be at the door at 2am. Given the vitriolic political environment in which we are living, I see a greater chance of being SWATTED at that hour. Call me a tin foil hat guy if you want, I've experienced directly the personal attacks for making public statements of my views. Just being a part of what some call a hate group like a Tea Party can lead to someone being Doxxed and that information being used against them. If my door gets pounded on at 2am, I'm likely to be on the phone with 911 before getting anywhere near it. I'm sorry if that is an extra burden on dispatch.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

:iagree: I thought about that after my post of notifying apartment management. Perhaps go by the station and submit a report including the letter you gave the apartment management.

Another thought is to get one of the door wedges that you can put in bottom of door so it can't be forced open easily after the locks have been bypassed by criminals.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

threoh8
Posts in topic: 2

Post by threoh8 »

LucasMcCain wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am Put a camera outside that door. Do you know if that visitor tried any other apartments?
I don't currently have one I could do that with. Planning to get a Ring doorbell or something similar on the house when we move back in. Should be in a few weeks.
A Wyze Cam is less than $30, shipped, making it affordable and not too valuable to risk losing. It connects through wifi and sends notifications to your cellphone, with motion detection and recording options.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

threoh8 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm
I don't currently have one I could do that with. Planning to get a Ring doorbell or something similar on the house when we move back in. Should be in a few weeks.
A Wyze Cam is less than $30, shipped, making it affordable and not too valuable to risk losing. It connects through wifi and sends notifications to your cellphone, with motion detection and recording options.
While it has good reviews, read some of them regarding privacy... Some reviews say that it still was recording them when turned off. others more tech savvy have stated that the routing they are using is going through Russian and Chinese servers... Other reviews have said that it bypassed their router restrictions.... I don't own one and lay no claims to the validity of these reports, simply posting after reading several reviews.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Stay away from the door!!!

Off to the side or back away and off to the side, but not directly in front of or in line with the door. There have been recent reports of BGs shooting through the door at whoever is on the other side.

Also, in a situation like this my handgun would be in my hand at low ready. However, I would probably have my carbine at low ready and with my electronic ears on either way.
Last edited by C-dub on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:07 pm
threoh8 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm
While it has good reviews, read some of them regarding privacy... Some reviews say that it still was recording them when turned off. others more tech savvy have stated that the routing they are using is going through Russian and Chinese servers... Other reviews have said that it bypassed their router restrictions.... I don't own one and lay no claims to the validity of these reports, simply posting after reading several reviews.
Requires an a/c power source as well.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”