How to Spot a Bad Guy- A Comprehensive Look at Body Language and Pre-Assault Indicators

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

How to Spot a Bad Guy- A Comprehensive Look at Body Language and Pre-Assault Indicators

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ ... indicators
Written by: Greg Ellifritz
It was day time on a crowded big-city street in a country far from home. It seems my girlfriend and I attracted the attention of a gang of bag thieves.

I noticed a guy on an opposite street corner talking on a cell phone. He caught my attention when he seemed to be pointing us out to some unseen other person. As soon as he pointed at us we picked up a tail. Two guys appeared out of nowhere and started following us very closely. The dude on the cell phone supervised from a distance.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bfm1851

Re: How to Spot a Bad Guy- A Comprehensive Look at Body Language and Pre-Assault Indicators

Post by bfm1851 »

Interesting read. Situational awareness is key to avoiding bad people/ bad things.

oljames3

Re: How to Spot a Bad Guy- A Comprehensive Look at Body Language and Pre-Assault Indicators

Post by oljames3 »

Another good read that applies to this topic:
The Gift of Fear by de Becker, Gavin (1998)
https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Becker-Gavi ... DDFVVQ561R
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

ShivWorks Practical Unarmed Combat course/DVD is also an excellent source of info about pre-assault indicators and how to handle these situations. The video can be a bit graphic at times and has some language.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

This is one of the more important parts:
While we are discussing facial expressions, it’s important to recognize what your own facial expressions may mean to an attacker. Displaying fear and surprise may embolden a criminal. Ekman states “An attacker looking for an easy victim may interpret a fearful expression as a sign that we won’t fight back and will be easily overcome.” Even if you are scared, it’s important not to allow the fear you are feeling to show on your face
Many years ago, when I was unarmed in the District of Criminals, I used "mirroring" and a confident smile to get out of a bad situation.

"Mirroring" is mimicking a threat's behavior. If they "Look around", you look around. Whatever they do, you do. That way they know for certain that you are aware of them. Criminals prefer unaware targets.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”