Does Parking Lot Law also include adult and juvenile prisons

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Does Parking Lot Law also include adult and juvenile prisons

Post by RPBrown »

I am the prison ministry leader at our church and we have started going into some juvenile facilities lately.
When we have gone to the STATE adult prisons, I have always carried and left it locked in my car in the parking lot. We have also had to park offsite at FEDERAL prisons due to their archaic rules. However, I went to a 4 hour training session for the STATE juvenile (TJJD) facilities and was told that we could not have a weapon on the property of an owned or leased TJJD facility. Not inside the fenced area, but in the parking lot either. I find this as strange because we are allowed in the parking lots of adult prisons.
I did see in the handgun laws about a knife but the only reference to handgun and prison was within 1000 feet on an execution day
What say you all?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Does Parking Lot Law also include adult and juvenile prisons

Post by jmorris »

RPBrown wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:41 am I am the prison ministry leader at our church and we have started going into some juvenile facilities lately.
When we have gone to the STATE adult prisons, I have always carried and left it locked in my car in the parking lot. We have also had to park offsite at FEDERAL prisons due to their archaic rules. However, I went to a 4 hour training session for the STATE juvenile (TJJD) facilities and was told that we could not have a weapon on the property of an owned or leased TJJD facility. Not inside the fenced area, but in the parking lot either. I find this as strange because we are allowed in the parking lots of adult prisons.
I did see in the handgun laws about a knife but the only reference to handgun and prison was within 1000 feet on an execution day
What say you all?
Way I read the law, a parking lot is a parking lot so no problem. They can put in whatever they want in policy or training but doesn't trump the law.

BTW, you can also have your firearm in your vehicle in a federal building's parking lot. USC 18 930 defines premise the same as Texas law does. (No matter what the VA signs say.)
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

My aunt works at a state adult prison, from what she tells me every non employee car is searched and if a firearm is found you are not allowed past the gate at the highway even if you follow their policy of having it in a lockbox inside a locked vehicle. I asked about the legality and from what she knew, not a CO does office type work, the COs dont care what the law says.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

You can find TDCJ's policy here https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/connections/ ... 20no5.html
Officers should be familiar with policy, as it applies to them and to visitors.

Jeff

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

I think the parking lot law only applies to employees, not to visitors or anybody else.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Medley86 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 pm My aunt works at a state adult prison, from what she tells me every non employee car is searched and if a firearm is found you are not allowed past the gate at the highway even if you follow their policy of having it in a lockbox inside a locked vehicle. I asked about the legality and from what she knew, not a CO does office type work, the COs dont care what the law says.
It has been several years since I visited a TDCJ facility. I visited my brother when he was in Dalhart, and never had an issue. I always told the guard at the first shack that I was armed, and that it would be left in my vehicle in a lock box. It was never a problem.
When my brother was released, he was transferred to Huntsville (they all release from Huntsville). The warden had told his guards that he didn’t really care what they law said. No guns were to be allowed in the parking lot. I went around and around with the guard, and we eventually settled on leaving it locked in the glovebox, rather than parking at the McDonald’s on the corner.

As to the OP, I’ve never visited a juvenile facility.
NRA lifetime member

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Gator Guy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 am I think the parking lot law only applies to employees, not to visitors or anybody else.
That is my understanding too, and that it does not apply to contractors either.
TDCJ has the same policy as above in both the volunteer handbook and visitor guidelines.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:54 pm
Gator Guy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 am I think the parking lot law only applies to employees, not to visitors or anybody else.
That is my understanding too, and that it does not apply to contractors either.
TDCJ has the same policy as above in both the volunteer handbook and visitor guidelines.
I agree. The parking lot laws were put in place to protect employees or students. The rest of us aren't effected by such policies.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Former TDCJ officer here - can't vouch for the policies on the juvenile prison, but either way the law protects you. As far as adult prisons, yes: visitors and staff alike are allowed to have a handgun in their vehicle. The policy is either at the highway gate or when you come to a stop in a parking space (whichever comes first), you unload the handgun and secure it behind 2 locks (door lock can be one, second can be glovebox, case, trigger lock, whatever as long as it's out of plain sight and locks). While I was working for the state I had to fight a warden on the policy because he passed out a memo saying that any officer with a gun in their car would be fired for breaking the law. I printed out sections of law and TDCJ policy and explained as tactfully as I could that such an order was not within his authority to give, that I would continue to lock my firearm in my car before each shift, and that if he fired me I would sue him for wrongful termination. He reversed the decision the same day. Don't back down from TDCJ officers. They are intentionally trained to believe they are right in every situation - it is your job to prove to them through their own policies that they are wrong.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”