CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 8

“Jr” Suffix on CHL

Post by Killadocg23 »

Gents,

Would not having the Jr suffix on my LTC be an issue? My legal name has the Jr on the end but I rarely used Jr before I have now started to use the Jr and as such my DL now has the Jr on my name. Would I need to get a New LTC with the Jr on it. My DL and LTC address is the same just that my LTC doesn’t have the Jr. The same DL Number is on my LTC.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Re: “Jr” Suffix on CHL

Post by Flightmare »

I know both my DL and LTC have my full legal name on them, including the Jr. I've just been in the habit of filling out my name with the suffix on it when filling out legal documents. Makes things easier.
Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm I know both my DL and LTC have my full legal name on them, including the Jr. I've just been in the habit of filling out my name with the suffix on it when filling out legal documents. Makes things easier.
Same here. 'Jr.' on both my DL and LTC. I rarely use the 'Jr' in my name except for legal docs.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

joe817 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm
Flightmare wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm I know both my DL and LTC have my full legal name on them, including the Jr. I've just been in the habit of filling out my name with the suffix on it when filling out legal documents. Makes things easier.
Same here. 'Jr.' on both my DL and LTC. I rarely use the 'Jr' in my name except for legal docs.
Same....if it's not a legal document, I will often use the abbreviated version of my first name.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Yeah,

I am trying to figure out if I need to get it updated with the Jr on it.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I have no idea if name matching is an issue in this case. I have seen it be an issue in other cases. I prefer that all my government documents match. On our DL & LTC, my dad has Jr., I have III, and my son has IV. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thanks gents. I will update it as soon as I can then. Guess I need to go change it on all my other documents too!

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Anybody can give any insight?

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm I have no idea if name matching is an issue in this case. I have seen it be an issue in other cases. I prefer that all my government documents match. On our DL & LTC, my dad has Jr., I have III, and my son has IV. ;-)
What issues have you seen with it? Wonder if an FFL can give me an answer. Want to purchase something ASAP.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm
oljames3 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm I have no idea if name matching is an issue in this case. I have seen it be an issue in other cases. I prefer that all my government documents match. On our DL & LTC, my dad has Jr., I have III, and my son has IV. ;-)
What issues have you seen with it? Wonder if an FFL can give me an answer. Want to purchase something ASAP.
Yes. They should all be accurate with the suffix. If one has it and one doesn't a NICS check will be required. Also, unless I am mistaken they all need to be accurate by state law also. As far as a 4473 goes in needs to have the suffix and it needs to match the DL.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm
First, during my time in the Army, I experienced several instances were identification was required and in which any small discrepancy would cause an issue. When dealing with a bureaucracy, one should take steps to avoid potential issues whenever possible. The Army insisted on, at that time, First Name - Milldle Initial - Last Name, Suffix. If one of my soldiers hat no middle name, his middle initials became NMN.

When we each applied for our CHL/LTC, we were careful to always use our full, legal name as shown on our birth certificate.

On the civilian side, we have had issues of receiving each others mail, confusion when applying for a loan/social security/medical care. Using the full, legal name became our default very quickly.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I am a "third". I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't use the suffix "III" any more when signing my name or filling out forms. I actually stressed about this when I applied for my CHL (now LTC) but went ahead and left the suffix off, as I had with my Texas drivers license quite a few years ago, to ensure that the names would match. Evidently the authorities have no trouble figuring out who I am when conducting background checks and assessing creditworthiness, etc. My dad (Jr.) was alive until about a year ago but lived in Illinois. I was never aware of any confusion. I am the executor of his estate, and I opened an estate checking account without using my suffix. Nobody seemed to care.

Back when I was being more careful (and when I lived in the same community as my grandfather and dad) I would try to fill in forms requiring my name completely accurately, using the proper suffix, but some forms wouldn't accept the suffix and others would record my last name as lastnameiii if I tried to include it. It got to be a real hassle.

The IRS and maybe the Social Security administration uses the III suffix for me, but nobody else seems to. I don't stress about it at all, and I haven't had a problem yet. In your case, perhaps it would be good to ensure that your name on your LTC matches the name on your Texas drivers license, but I'm not sure if it's a hassle to change it on either one.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Gents,

Thank you very much ! Much appreciated! God bless you both !

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:51 pm Gents,

Thank you very much ! Much appreciated! God bless you both !
How far are you from needing to renew your LTC? If it’s reasonably close, and there have been no issues up to this point, I’d simply wait it out rather than having to pay the extra fee for a name change.
NRA lifetime member

KLB

Post by KLB »

This thread made me check my own licenses. It makes sense my driver's license has "Jr." because that's how I would have given my name when I was16. I'm not sure why I carried the "Jr." over onto my HGL, but i did.

My father's been dead over 25 years, and I've gotten out of the habit of using it day to day.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”