CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: “Jr” Suffix on CHL

Post by mrvmax »

Maxwell wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:54 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm
oljames3 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm I have no idea if name matching is an issue in this case. I have seen it be an issue in other cases. I prefer that all my government documents match. On our DL & LTC, my dad has Jr., I have III, and my son has IV. ;-)
What issues have you seen with it? Wonder if an FFL can give me an answer. Want to purchase something ASAP.
Yes. They should all be accurate with the suffix. If one has it and one doesn't a NICS check will be required. Also, unless I am mistaken they all need to be accurate by state law also. As far as a 4473 goes in needs to have the suffix and it needs to match the DL.
“ If one has it and one doesn't a NICS check will be required. ”
Not necessarily. The person is required to be identified by a government document which could be the drivers license. Page 195 in 5300.4 states that a permit qualifies as an alternative to a NICS check. Technically he has a Texas CHL/LTC so the NICS is not required. That being said, most FFLs are skittish so would probably run the NICS. If you see any ATF reference stating otherwise let me know.

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Killadocg23 »

Does one know how I go about changing my name on my LTC TO ADD “jr”. Is there a way to do it online ? Or only via paper form?

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Killadocg23 »

Well, I Called DPS and asked them. They said that I need to have my LTC match my DL. She said I can still carry my LTC whiles having the new one process and if LEO stops me they will see that my new one is processing.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

mrvmax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:12 pm
Maxwell wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:54 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm
oljames3 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm I have no idea if name matching is an issue in this case. I have seen it be an issue in other cases. I prefer that all my government documents match. On our DL & LTC, my dad has Jr., I have III, and my son has IV. ;-)
What issues have you seen with it? Wonder if an FFL can give me an answer. Want to purchase something ASAP.
Yes. They should all be accurate with the suffix. If one has it and one doesn't a NICS check will be required. Also, unless I am mistaken they all need to be accurate by state law also. As far as a 4473 goes in needs to have the suffix and it needs to match the DL.
“ If one has it and one doesn't a NICS check will be required. ”
Not necessarily. The person is required to be identified by a government document which could be the drivers license. Page 195 in 5300.4 states that a permit qualifies as an alternative to a NICS check. Technically he has a Texas CHL/LTC so the NICS is not required. That being said, most FFLs are skittish so would probably run the NICS. If you see any ATF reference stating otherwise let me know.
If all ID's and information do not match there are potentially multiple problems, but you are right in one aspect. As long as the info on the DL matches the 4473 a simple NICS check is required. If the info on the DL and LTC do not match it is a violation state law and therefore invalid.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

WildRose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildRose »

If the name on your LTC and DL are not an exact match odds are pretty good that sooner or later it's going to cause you an issue if you come into contact with an LEO.

Technically it's also unlawful not to use your full legal name when filling out an ATF 4473.

Best to get it fixed rather than have an issue.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”