A somewhat unique situation.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A somewhat unique situation.

Post by NotRPB »

montgomery wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 am
FigNewton wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:12 pm But keeping it in a backpack in a closed safe, I would suspect that if anyone ever went through my pack I could refuse to open the safe and not divulge the contents.
My employer is 30.06 and 30.07 posted to the letter of the law. Management recently sent an email informing all employees that management has the right to search any and all personal items at random with or without the employee present. Any "weapon" on the banned weapons list - including pocket knives - and the employee is subject to termination. So there is that.

On the flip side, what good is a firearm in a backpack inside a closed safe if the fight is not at the safe?
I would so get a holster/sheath for my scissors and carry them with me so no one would borrow or steal them from my desk-yeah-that's why. :mrgreen: :lol:
http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/heav ... s-up-to-12

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

NotRPB wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am Image
That's not a pair of scissors.

THIS is a pair of scissors:

The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

threoh8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 am

I love the idea, but in the picture, aren't the scissors backwards? The sharp side of the knife should be facing toward the other part of the scissors, not away from it.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 pm....
I love the idea, but in the picture, aren't the scissors backwards? The sharp side of the knife should be facing toward the other part of the scissors, not away from it.
If you look at scissors the blades are not sharp like a knife[1]. What actually does the cutting is the cutting edges of the two blades passing each other. The knife-scissors shown is like taking a pair of scissors and welding an outward facing knife blade on one of the scissor blades.

[1]With the exception of anvil shears, which has a sharp blade descending onto a flat edge (anvil).
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

WildRose
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildRose »

FigNewton wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:12 pm So I now have to drive into town for work. I have found that taking the bus is the easiest solution, Let me preface this with a couple of notes. First, the bus and my work both seem to prohibit weapons onsite although neither has the proper legal signage at any point of entry. I am a lawful chl holder in good standing. I was wondering if I was to purchase a small safe, a little larger than my gun and keep this in my backpack so that the weapon is locked up, would I or wouldn't I be in shape legally. Since I have to leave my car at the park and ride I am hesitant to just leave my weapon there where it would be sitting unattended all day long. I understand that my employer has a right to ban weapons and that I would be subject to termination if it was ever exposed or I needed to use it. But keeping it in a backpack in a closed safe, I would suspect that if anyone ever went through my pack I could refuse to open the safe and not divulge the contents. There are plenty of other reasons one might carry a small safe in their belongings. One of my other concerns with this is if I leave my office and even though it's locked up, the weapon is not on me, is that just asking for more legal issues? I feel like this situation where you have to park and take public transportation puts me at a disadvantage to being able to concealed carry my weapon as I am legally allowed. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Google "Shot Show" concealed carry backpacks.

Personally I think that if your firearm is not secured on your body or in a locked safe/locker of some sort that a thief/potential shooter cannot take off with you are exposing yourself to both becoming a victim and significant civil and criminal liability should the weapon fall into the wrong hands.

I think you'd be much better off getting a gun you can comfortably carry and conceal deeply.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

threoh8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 am

Interesting, they look very practical.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

jmorris wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:17 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 pm....
If you look at scissors the blades are not sharp like a knife[1]. What actually does the cutting is the cutting edges of the two blades passing each other. The knife-scissors shown is like taking a pair of scissors and welding an outward facing knife blade on one of the scissor blades.

[1]With the exception of anvil shears, which has a sharp blade descending onto a flat edge (anvil).
That's not quite accurate. Good scissors at least rely on two single angled opposing edges (Think of a wood chisel) both of which are very sharp.

bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

priusron wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 pm I don’t see how you can give up your rights prohibiting search and seizure based upon being employed. Refusal to allow a search may get you terminated, but you may win in court. I would ask for a search warrant. I understand there are exceptions such as working in a prison. Many entities try to get you to give up your rights but they don’t have a leg to stand on if you refuse. That would be like a landlord putting something in your lease that he has the right of search the premises at any time. Not enforceable even if you sign the document. Also it should state inal.

You have no rights protecting your employer/employee relationship and their ability to search items on their property as a condition of employment. Refuse = fired.

The 4th is only between you and the .Gov.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”