Company Email - No Guns in Cars

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Company Email - No Guns in Cars

Post by ScottDLS »

rtschl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:59 am
TheSinistral wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am I know a guy whose company sent out an email titled "Workplace Safety" that said unless otherwise provided by law, <deleted> workplaces include the buildings in which we work as well as the parking areas of <deleted> workplaces. This means that you are prohibited from keeping a licensed firearm in your personal or rented vehicle while at a <deleted> workplace.

Admittedly it is a global company and the email also included that caviat about the law. To be safe he emailed the company's legal counsel referencing SB 321. Counsel agreed that LTC holder is exempt from that policy in this state and that email does not apply.

It pays know the law! You could get run over if you don't.
I work for a global company too and they have the similar language in our policies. But I have not nor would I email my company's legal counsel for two reasons. The first states "otherwise provided by law" - so the email explicitly states he can have it in his car at work because of SB 321.

The second and main reason is that his friend has let the company know that he probably has a weapon in his vehicle. Not saying his company would act unethically, but Texas being a right to work state, what if he was let go because someone who now knows is anti-gun but they don't state that as the reason hew was let go? He would never know. Even with my co-workers that I trust and who are pro-gun, they do not know that I have mine locked in my car safe. Concealed is concealed.
Very good points why better to keep quiet. Now a funny story. I am working lately in the San Francisco Bay area at a large company in a very left wing environment with lots of Bernie stickers in the parking lot and extra gender neutral restrooms, etc..... But yesterday I heard two millennial computer programmers near my desk discussing where they were going to go shoot over the weekend and how one of them keeps some regular capacity magazines with a friend in Nevada so he can use them to shoot when he visits ;- ). Imagine my surprise. Their nearby colleagues will probably turn them in to HR.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

The City of San Antonio is much like the described employer in that all its no-gun signs, which are posted in all city buildings, say in effect that all guns are banned unless otherwise expressly permitted by law. You are entirely on your own in figuring out whether activity in a given building would give rise to an exception to the right to carry.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildRose »

WTR wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 am
TheSinistral wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am I know a guy whose company sent out an email titled "Workplace Safety" that said unless otherwise provided by law, <deleted> workplaces include the buildings in which we work as well as the parking areas of <deleted> workplaces. This means that you are prohibited from keeping a licensed firearm in your personal or rented vehicle while at a <deleted> workplace.

Admittedly it is a global company and the email also included that caviat about the law. To be safe he emailed the company's legal counsel referencing SB 321. Counsel agreed that LTC holder is exempt from that policy in this state and that email does not apply.

It pays know the law! You could get run over if you don't.

I did not think you had to be a LTC holder for the law to apply.
That is true. As long as you can lawfully possess a firearm in your vehicle there are quite a few federal court rulings to this effect. Your car is your property and castle doctrine applies even on company property.

The only exception to that would be if you are working for a federal agency where federal laws and regulations can dictate otherwise.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”