CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
popeye59
Posts in topic: 3

Searching for past history

Post by popeye59 »

On the LTC application, in the REPORTED HISTORY section, it asks:
Have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime? (Regardless if pending, dismissed, committed as a juvenile, was long ago OR was in another state.)

Well, I have to answer yes. It was in Illinois and a long, long time ago (1977/78), when I was 17/18. No convictions but I did go through Deferred Prosecution where I had to do community service and pay restitution. Upon completion, my records were to be expunged. I joined the Navy in 1985 and told my recruiter about my past. He ran a full background check and there was nothing the Department of Defense could find. He said they searched the local police, county sheriff and state police records and it showed nothing. I want to find out my information to submit for a LTC application so I’m not lying on the application. I don’t even know who to ask about pulling this information. Can anyone offer any insight where to start? Pretty sure this will take a while, so I want to get all the information gathered before I finally move down to our property in Aransas Pass.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Searching for past history

Post by warnmar10 »

popeye59 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 amOn the LTC application, in the REPORTED HISTORY section, it asks:
Have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime? (Regardless if pending, dismissed, committed as a juvenile, was long ago OR was in another state.) ...
It's been a while but I don't recall that particular question, at least not that formulation. Is it new?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I believe you need to contact the county/court where the charges were adjudicated and ask them for a copy of the records. If no records are found then you need to request a letter that states that no records or convictions were found.

On the LTC application you should answer honestly and provide the information from the court.

You didn't mention what the offense was, but, FYI... For LTC purposes, deferred adjudication is treated as a conviction. Crimes against persons are permanently disqualifying, I believe. Expungement, if actually expunged, may be sufficient for LTC purposes. If your offense falls in the crimes against persons category, you should consult with a competent attorney, which I am not.

This is my OPINION, not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
popeye59

Post by popeye59 »

Not a crime against a person. A few of us broke in to a country club, stole some booze and vandalized it a bit
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildRose »

Just be honest about it and state that you successfully completed the DA program which effectively expunges the record.

They can send a request to the agency for information but you are not required to unless something has changed in the last year or so.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Topic author
popeye59

Post by popeye59 »

Deferred Prosecution, not Deferred Ajuducation. There is a difference.
Last edited by popeye59 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildRose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildRose »

They are the same in practice. If you successfully complete the requirements there is no legal conviction and the records can be sealed.

https://www.texasdefenselaw.com/library ... ion-texas/
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”