Prohibiting signage at court houses

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildRose
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Prohibiting signage at court houses

Post by WildRose »

Lots of good comments above.

For what it's worth I've dealt with and taught cops from all over the state for decades so let me offer this.

Big city Chiefs are largely appointed based on liberal/progressive leanings because that's the political leanings of the city gov'ts that appoint them.

I've met very few DPS officers that are anti civilian gun ownership or carry. There may be a handful but I have yet to find them.

I've met zero Sheriffs or deputies in Rural Texas that are at all opposed to civilian ownership or licensed carry I do know that one in Hamilton County has had some Issues but I've never interacted with him. I have interacted with some of his deputies and Hamilton Locals that were all straight up pretty good guys.

From what I've seen, there are some Houston Area Constables and DC's that are about half Nazi when it comes to civilian carry and they definitely need an attitude change and retraining.

I've also dealt with DPS instructors, DFW area cops/deputies, a lot of the guys out in West Texas and a few from Austin all of which were great to deal with in every way.

For just about all of us our perceptions are based on our experiences. For those who've had negative experiences I feel for ya but please, try not to extend those perceptions beyond the few cops you've interacted with or read about online.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

devgrew
Posts in topic: 3

Post by devgrew »

WildRose wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:53 am For just about all of us our perceptions are based on our experiences. For those who've had negative experiences I feel for ya but please, try not to extend those perceptions beyond the few cops you've interacted with or read about online.
That's good advice for those with negative experiences and those with positive experiences.
The place where I come from is a small team.
They think so small. They write small code.
But not me! I'm smarter than that. I had enough.
I'll be buying more RAM and turn my small code option off.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

devgrew wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:06 pm
WildRose wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:53 am For just about all of us our perceptions are based on our experiences. For those who've had negative experiences I feel for ya but please, try not to extend those perceptions beyond the few cops you've interacted with or read about online.
That's good advice for those with negative experiences and those with positive experiences.
True and I've dealt with both but unlike most I've had extensive contacts with LEO's from all over the state over the last 30-40 years so I have a much larger sample to measure by.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

devgrew

Post by devgrew »

Your personal experience is a sample size of one.

You are one person and your experience is one person's experience. As data, it's no more or less valid than any other persons'.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

devgrew wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 pm Your personal experience is a sample size of one.

You are one person and your experience is one person's experience. As data, it's no more or less valid than any other persons'.
His personal experience is a study in it’s own right. His study contains multiple data points which have been used to analyze and draw a conclusion. His conclusion is vastly more valid than a singular data point.

devgrew

Post by devgrew »

WTR wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:56 pm
devgrew wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 pm Your personal experience is a sample size of one.

His personal experience is a study in it’s own right. His study contains multiple data points which have been used to analyze and draw a conclusion. His conclusion is vastly more valid than a singular data point.
It's a study with multiple data points of his interactions with police. If you want to predict how police will treat him in the future, it's probably the best data out there. If that's what you're saying, we're in violent agreement.

However, it had little predictive value for how the police treated Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle, And a billion data points of "officer friendly" interactions with other people won't bring back either murder victim.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

devgrew wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:06 pm
WTR wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:56 pm

It's a study with multiple data points of his interactions with police. If you want to predict how police will treat him in the future, it's probably the best data out there. If that's what you're saying, we're in violent agreement.

However, it had little predictive value for how the police treated Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle, And a billion data points of "officer friendly" interactions with other people won't bring back either murder victim.
Would be predictive.....you just are using an outlier as your example. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Chief and his goons need to be strung up. However, that doesn’t mean I am ready to bastardize statistical analysis to fit a narrative.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”