New CHL Holder + Vehicle carry questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KingpinTX
Posts in topic: 11

New CHL Holder + Vehicle carry questions

Post by KingpinTX »

I just received my CHL and I am very happy for this achievement. Right now I'm understanding in details all laws and training with my Glock 19 Gen4.

I have some questions about carrying the gun inside my vehicle and I’m looking for some advise.

I’m researching and reading at this forum some threads about the definition of concealed carry inside the vehicle. I was looking for car magnets to not use screws and damage my car dashboard. But the question is? Can I remove the gun from my holster and attach to the magnet close to my leg ? Keeping the gun not visible from outside the vehicle.

I’m using IWB Cloack Tuck holster due my belly prevents me for appendix’s lol kkk :-) and drive with the gun inside the holster sometimes isn’t comfortable.

I want to have the gun always ready if I need....but I do also want to be 100% respecting the law. During the CHL class the instructor said that remove the gun from the holster and placing into a magnet or car holster is not legal.

There is long threads with this discussion but for me does not looks like conclusive.

Can I remove the gun from my possession and place it into a magnet or holster attached to the console inside my vehicle?

Thank you and god bless
Last edited by KingpinTX on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Re: New CHL Holder + Vehicle carry questions

Post by KingpinTX »

Thanks DXer.

Sorry, when I meant dashboard I mean center console hidden aside my right leg.

Something like this

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

KingpinTX wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm Thanks DXer.

Something like this
Those are not gonna be legal as they would be visible when you are out of the vehicle, if you moved your leg, etc. In the vehicle it can only be visible if on your body per the rules of open carry. Otherwise, it must be hidden in the vehicle and out of sight.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

I always carry “ on my person”. I have several holsters ( both IWB & OWB ) which I have driven over 700 miles at a stretch with no experienced discomfort.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

Keith B wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm
KingpinTX wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm Thanks DXer.

Something like this
Those are not gonna be legal as they would be visible when you are out of the vehicle, if you moved your leg, etc. In the vehicle it can only be visible if on your body per the rules of open carry. Otherwise, it must be hidden in the vehicle and out of sight.
Thank you Sir.
Basically it remains two safe places to the gun while I’m in or out the vehicle. Inside the holster or glove compartment for example ? Any other place such as those magnets it will be ilegal correct?
Last edited by KingpinTX on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

WTR wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:59 pm I always carry “ on my person”. I have several holsters ( both IWB & OWB ) which I have driven over 700 miles at a stretch with no experienced discomfort.
Gotcha!! Thanks for the response sir.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

DXer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm If you can peak in the window and see the gun, it might be an issue. If not, then in like Flint. Just don't leave it there at night when parked outside. Guys in my neck of the woods are breaking windows to get them.
Perfect. Thanks for the tip. My plan is to always have the gun with me if the place allows or inside my house. I’m not planning to leave anywhere else :-)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

KingpinTX wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 pm
Thank you Sir.
Basically it remains two safe places to the gun while I’m in or out the vehicle. Inside the holster or glove compartment for example ? Any other place such as those magnets it will be ilegal correct?

Basically, if it can be seen in the vehicle it is illegal. Out of sight hidden under the seat, in the console, glove box, under a cover of some type is legal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

Let's play "Devil's Advocate". What if you have the piece on a magnet below the dash, you are stopped by LEO and asked to get out of the vehicle. Are you going to move the weapon to your holster while the officer is watching? Are you going to leave it where it will be in plain sight once you get out?
Try to think of all possible scenarios.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

Mel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 pm Let's play "Devil's Advocate". What if you have the piece on a magnet below the dash, you are stopped by LEO and asked to get out of the vehicle. Are you going to move the weapon to your holster while the officer is watching? Are you going to leave it where it will be in plain sight once you get out?
Try to think of all possible scenarios.
Good one and that’s my point :-)

While I’m inside the vehicle and I have “control of the situation” I can keep it hidden plugged on the magnet bellow the dash for example.

If an LEO stop me I’ll keep my hands visible all the time on the steering wheel and I’ll inform the LEO that I’m a CHL holder and exactly where the gun is located if he ask. I’ll ask him the instructions if he want me to move or not the weapon. Once he gave me the instructions I’ll do it dictating my movements. This is correct?
Last edited by KingpinTX on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

Keith B wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 pm
KingpinTX wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 pm
Thank you Sir.

Basically, if it can be seen in the vehicle it is illegal. Out of sight hidden under the seat, in the console, glove box, under a cover of some type is legal.
Sorry if it’s sound stupid the question again. But I want to be sure to avoid any legal problems. I’m super straight following laws.

If I install the magnet under the dash and plug the weapon while I’m driving and it’s not visible I’ll be good if an LEO stop me?

I heard that this can drive to different interpretations by the LEO if they stop me.

Thank you again sir

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

Forget about the magnets, they are not legal.

Topic author
KingpinTX

Post by KingpinTX »

WTR wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 pm Forget about the magnets, they are not legal.
Thank you sir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”